Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bbassi
As a fat guy who likes to hike, I have to ask, what are cafe' packs and who makes the the PB packs? grin

Here are the PB packs I buy. I get them at my local grocery store. I’ve seen a few other brands at various stores also.

https://www.justins.com/

BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
you tube also has some really good info on freezer bag cooking ideas

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
For many years I packed Mountain House, Peak, Back Packers Pantry, etc. meals on multi-day hunting trips. Last couple of years I eliminated those and shopped for food items in local grocery stores. I must say it is working out well.

I get whatever looks good and doesn't weigh much until hydrated, plus nurishing high nutrient dense food that doesn't need refrigeration and I am used to.
For instance, I like sweet potatoes. They hold up well with no refrigerator and can be sliced thin for quick cooking. I like to eat on trail what I do well with at home. That way there's no digestive surprises. Young guys don't worry about that as much as over fifty, but everyone should consider that. It can take a couple weeks for gut flora to develop to deal with major dietary changes. Heavy fruits like apples and oranges are great because of the enzymes that help the body under stress. They are responsible for many hundreds of functions. I can tell the difference eating live uncooked food and nothing but cooked. See if you can too. Ask yourself how you feel energy wise and if that would be a good thing while hunting and hiking.
Just my two cents.

If there's water nearby, dry goods are fine, but watch out for overindulging on trail mix. It's easy to get a bunch of goo backed up. It's a common cause of death in seniors.

For meat, I just go with jerky. A quality UNpreserved bacon with lots of fat holds up after cooking. .summer sausage too. Only go with no nitrates. Nuts are very dry as well, but you get a lot of good oil from them.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/21/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Right now as gardens are harvested, a simple dehydrator would be handy for DIY soup mixes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife has been wanting a freeze drier so this summer we sprang for one. They ain't cheap and HarvestRight is the only maker of home sized ones on the market (made in Utah, not China). We've been experimenting some. I cooked up a big stockpot of elk stew with spuds, onions, corn, beans, peas, tomatoes,carrots, and who knows what else. We freeze dried a bunch of it and bagged it in 2 serving bags. When reconstituted, it's really good. I cooked a big elk roast then sliced and freeze dried it. It doesn't taste very good FD'd but when reconstituted, it's tastes very much like fresh elk meat. Eat it as is or mix it with other stuff.
We dried a bunch of tomatoes, then ground them to a powder. When sprinkled on anything, they quickly moisten up and give anything a good fresh tomato flavor. They're kind of tricky to preserve, though. Within 30 min of coming out of the drier they start to absorb water from the air. It's necessary to store them immediately or they won't keep.

We've done a bunch of fresh fruit right off the trees - apples, peaches, cherries, apricots, plums. FD apples aren't as good as dehydrated apples but the other fruits are excellent. You can carry a bunch of them for snacks on the trail and have no weight at all. Peaches and nectarines are especially tasty. Just slice and dry them.

Fats don't FD well so it needs to be trimmed off the meat. That's why FD stuff doesn't seem to be as filling as you'd like.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Mix a bunch of honey and Adams PB, spread on a cinnamon raisin or blueberry bagel, individually wrap and freeze. Plan for 1 a day.

Usually have a clif bar in my fart sack for breakfast.

Take a coghlan's food tube full of mixed mayo, pickle relish and fine chopped onion/celery. Mix with a tuna bag and spread on a buttered Wasa or on some dense buttered bread. Caution! Potential for STANK farts, here.

Pre-spread the bread with butter and individually wrap your sandwich halves rather than fighting a frozen block of butter on the hill. Same for crackers. Use spent wrap for firestarter.

Hot food is generally overrated. The burritos I mention above are worth doing. I'll make hot food if the kids are with but mostly cold food if solo. MH barely qualifies as food, and is no better than food not requiring means of heating water, IMO. I'll bring some for convenience if I have stove and pot with.

I usually have some summer sausage and cheese with, along with aforementioned dense buttered bread or Wasa.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
in the past and probably for the future will keep using new MRE`S with the heaters in the bag when i am in the mountains , learned to use them with my bow hunting friend an Viet Nam ex- front line Marine / Alaskan oil rig plumber who ate them for many years .this Marine said its no mess no fuss and this Marine said these new MRE`s are tasty compared to the World War 2 rations he had to eat in Nam. so i have ate MRE`s for 2 weeks at a time and they sure are easy to store and eat .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I brought these for elk hunting last year and back packing. They're pretty good. I empty out content into zip lock bags and I add the Costco dried seaweed,dried miso and a siracha packet and tuna in oil in a pouch

https://www.costco.com/snapdragon-vietnamese-pho-bowls%2C-2.3-oz%2C-9-count.product.100750761.html

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Wasa is great with peanut butter , frozen butter and honey. Love that stuff

Originally Posted by Vek
Mix a bunch of honey and Adams PB, spread on a cinnamon raisin or blueberry bagel, individually wrap and freeze. Plan for 1 a day.

Usually have a clif bar in my fart sack for breakfast.

Take a coghlan's food tube full of mixed mayo, pickle relish and fine chopped onion/celery. Mix with a tuna bag and spread on a buttered Wasa or on some dense buttered bread. Caution! Potential for STANK farts, here.

Pre-spread the bread with butter and individually wrap your sandwich halves rather than fighting a frozen block of butter on the hill. Same for crackers. Use spent wrap for firestarter.

Hot food is generally overrated. The burritos I mention above are worth doing. I'll make hot food if the kids are with but mostly cold food if solo. MH barely qualifies as food, and is no better than food not requiring means of heating water, IMO. I'll bring some for convenience if I have stove and pot with.

I usually have some summer sausage and cheese with, along with aforementioned dense buttered bread or Wasa.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by bbassi
As a fat guy who likes to hike, I have to ask, what are cafe' packs and who makes the the PB packs? grin

Here are the PB packs I buy. I get them at my local grocery store. I’ve seen a few other brands at various stores also.

https://www.justins.com/

Another example of cafe' packs is the margarine that you get at KFC, in little plastic packets. They make for good oil in your pan to fry up some fish.

Most diners have a container of cafe' packs in the table. They contain mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, margarine, etc.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah I had an almost life changing event last year when I found out KFC had honey in packets and would throw in a big handful if you asked nice. grin

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Minimus.biz site sells the little individual packages of condiments. You can order any odd number you want. 20 bucks will provide enough for an army

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yep I’ve done a lot more with bars and fewer Mtn House/Backpacker’s Pantry. Lona Life protein coffee & bone broth have really been nice.

I like the ideas I found on this freezer bag recipe site:

https://trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101/

I’ve used a few of those with good results.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beware of any storage or freeze dried foods put out by Wise. They come under several different names but all I've seen have Wise in the name. They specialize in emergency storage foods, not camping foods. They're also mostly vegetarian. Their word 'serving' isn't the same as the serving used by MH or other camping foods companies. When you get a packet with 4 servings, that's not 4 meals. It's 4 helpings of some item intended to be added to helpings of 3 or 4 other items. It takes several of their 'servings' to make a meal.
Their foods aren't bad but just be aware that you aren't getting a filling meal with 1 of their servings. Adding meat helps, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
Minimus.biz site sells the little individual packages of condiments. You can order any odd number you want. 20 bucks will provide enough for an army

I took a look at this site. It's great. I wonder in the coming years, just how much I will order from them. Thanks for the info.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a great thread - always great to hear about others & how they crack the same nut.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bring about a pound of minute rice along. i use it to bulk up many meals like, Ramen or any soup, pasta, packets if chicken/spam singles with a bullion cube for flavor. Walmart almond butter/ jelly combo packets are awesome.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.