Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
We have a Mountain Cur bitch that we intend to breed... She is 15 months and will have her second cycle in a week or so (showing sign now).

She is physically mature (been visually "full grown" for past 4 months +/-). She 38-42 pounds.

Sire will a 52-55 Australian Sheppard.

This is a deliberate cross breed.

Your opinion on yes... breed... or no... wait one more season on the bitch.

Thanks!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Why you want to breed a litter of mutts?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2nd heat

Go for it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always found doggy style breeding the most satisfying

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Why you want to breed a litter of mutts?

I knew this chit would come up... so here ya go.

The Sheppard is the smartest dog I have ever had... I could be in WV for a week and decide to come home... he has the intuition somehow to know I am inbound 4 hours before I get here (...so my wife tells me). Highly athletic and tough as a RR spike. BUT he has no nose what-so-ever... sight kills everything.

The Cur bitch (also purebred) is agile enough to kill squirrels and rabbits in the open... she pegged her first squirrel when she was 4 months. Her nose is uncanny... I say "she has a 2 mile nose".

Our EXTREMELY rural mountain land in WV required highly nimble dogs that can scent and guard against yotes, bear, bobcats and an occasional lion.

That is the plan... brains, agility and a strong nose and lacking fear... around 40-45 pounds.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ok but i'm going to need quite a few drinky poos first

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No offense Cash, but I don’t get the everyone needs to breed their dogs. Everybody’s dog is the “smartest damn thing they ever saw” or is “so pretty” or most often they spent stupid money and now try to recoup by shidting out a litter of some boutique made up bullshidt.

Unless a guy has a working line of dogs and is breeding responsibly for those traits, hounds, guards, cattle dogs, etc it’s fugking stupid.

The shelters are full to overflowing and dogs are getting dumped off and abandoned all the time.

The anthropomorphism these days really astounds me. Can’t cut the balls off Fido because the owner projects themself into the fugking dog.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rem141r
ok but i'm going to need quite a few drinky poos first

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Breeding w purpose for your needs. I like it. Good luck.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if one has a profit-making market for the product. Latest AKC registered pet cost us 4 grand.

1Minute
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
You need a Plott hound.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CashisKing

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bristoe
You need a Plott hound.

I assume you live on flat ground? Or maybe gentle rolling hills?

I used to have and breed Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. I know of no dog tougher than a CBR... CBRs routinely grab and drown large deer around here in the salt mash (Virginia Bay area).

I had CBRs in Georgia that would kill a doe almost every Saturday morning and drag it to me to butcher for them.

But CBRs would not stand a chance in my WV terrain... far to steep... pure rock... mountain laurel everywhere... small and nimble is the path forward there.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.

Last edited by NDsnowman; 01/21/22.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Typical evening at CashisKing's place:

https://leakedreality.com/video/32317/man-vs-bear

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

I suspect your Aussie was good at narc more because of the intelligence of the breed... and close proximity to the narcs... but I might be wrong... I will not assume your particulars... and only a fool will assume mine.

The original question fugging remains... this second breeding cycle (15 months) or wait?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
he has the intuition somehow to know I am inbound 4 hours before I get here

He's picking up something off of your wife...

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by NDsnowman

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.

I concur... and quite possible... we shall see.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 74 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.