Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Bolt is occasionally sticking with mild book hand loads and book oal.

Chambers fine but after firing the bolt will lift not quite all the way, then it takes a sharp slap with palm of my hand to operate. I did fire some factory ammo but I didn't note any of it creating the above condition.

I have shot the identical components and loads in two other 7mm08 I own without any problems.

Any thoughts, fixes, etc?

Last edited by mjac; 01/21/22.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
1 - Back off of your load a bit and see if the issue goes away

2 - If you are using brass that has been fired in a different rifle then try some virgin brass, the brass fired in a different chamber may not be resized enough at the base or may have developed a "memory" and is not shrinking back to its pre-fired dimension

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or sell it to me, I will figure it out

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by drover

2 - If you are using brass that has been fired in a different rifle then try some virgin brass, the brass fired in a different chamber may not be resized enough at the base or may have developed a "memory" and is not shrinking back to its pre-fired dimension

drover

Full disclosure; the rifle is new to me and I do not have any good load developed.

I started with some mid range load data (many powders) that I had used during load development of another 708 I have.

Nothing near max and with full length sized brass. Brass that yes, was fired before.

Now, with this bolt issue, load development has been halted.

Would you suggest I chose one powder and back down a bit? Pending the result, move to another brass?

Thanks

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Or sell it to me, I will figure it out

Maybe........

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Define “mild.”

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’d load some brand new brass and see what happens. Just because brass is FL sized doesn’t mean it will work in your rifles chamber.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mjac

drover

Full disclosure; the rifle is new to me and I do not have any good load developed.

I started with some mid range load data (many powders) that I had used during load development of another 708 I have.

Nothing near max and with full length sized brass. Brass that yes, was fired before.

Would you suggest I chose one powder and back down a bit? Pending the result, move to another brass?

Thanks

I would try some new brass first if you have or can get a few.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Define “mild.”

Over the five powders I was using, the average was 1.5g below max.

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 805
I’d load some brand new brass and see what happens

I'll try this for sure.

Originally Posted by 805
Just because brass is FL sized doesn’t mean it will work in your rifles chamber.

This did not know this before and certainly changes my thinking.

Thank you.

IC B3

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mjac

drover

Thanks

I would try some new brass first if you have or can get a few.

drover

Thank you. I may be awhile before I can do this as I do not currently have any new brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like poor primary extraction.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I resize brass fired from another chamber, I check my die setting to be sure that
the cases will chamber without restriction (in the gun it will be used in) when the bolt closes down on it.
Nickle plated brass needs die set down a little further than plain brass cases.

Multiple guns of same caliber may need different die setting when sizing brass for that gun.

Just my experience and thinking.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
When I resize brass fired from another chamber, I check my die setting to be sure that
the cases will chamber without restriction (in the gun it will be used in) when the bolt closes down on it.
Nickle plated brass needs die set down a little further than plain brass cases.

Multiple guns of same caliber may need different die setting when sizing brass for that gun.

Just my experience and thinking.
Tim

Thank you for your comments.
I should mention that my loads chamber and are extracted (unfired) without any difficultly. Another 7mm08 (Tikka) will chamber the same handloads and extract, unfired AND fired without any problem.
I am on the hunt in the classifieds for some new brass and will follow your practice.

Btw, Your, Khe Sanh quote in your sig line. Where you there? I was nearby with 3/5.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
mjac
No,I was not stationed in Khe Sanh. I did a tour with 5thSFGA.
I thought the message on that sign was very thought provoking. I read
it in Stars and Stripes while there.

To bad more of our leaders have not served. I think we (US) would be better served now if they had.

Kinda lost on what your ammo problem really is.
Did you prep the brass you are loading? or inherit it?
All same head stamp?
Never mix head stamps.

Good luck
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
mjac
No,I was not stationed in Khe Sanh. I did a tour with 5thSFGA.
I thought the message on that sign was very thought provoking. I read
it in Stars and Stripes while there.

To bad more of our leaders have not served. I think we (US) would be better served now if they had.

Kinda lost on what your ammo problem really is.
Did you prep the brass you are loading? or inherit it?
All same head stamp?
Never mix head stamps.

Good luck
Tim

Tim, Khe Sanh was a hellva fight. Welcome Home.

Yes. It came to me as once fired and I full sized, trimmed, etc. All PPU. The brass and the loads have been working well in my other 708, a Tikka but not so in the rem 788.
I have some new Hornady on the way and hoping that will resolve the problem

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have messed with several 788s and never such an issue for me.

Good luck.

Albert Einstein

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
788s are not as strong or rigid as 700s.

There's currently a thread in the campfire about this. Top post on the 2nd page explains it well.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16867336/2

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Other suggestions: clean chamber and bolt. Check action screw tightness. With your brass, screw the die in until it touches the shellholder, then turn it a little tighter so you get a little bump feel on the press handle when sizing.

Old guy, old guns.
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
An update. New, virgin brass and same loads, nary a problem.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.