Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
he has the intuition somehow to know I am inbound 4 hours before I get here

He's picking up something off of your wife...

I agree, but we have tried dead calm text messages as well... Aussies are crazy smart dogs.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

BP-B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
ok but i'm going to need quite a few drinky poos first

I know, the uglier they are the more a feller needs to drink.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.

Agreed. That being said, they're your dogs and as long as you'll be ok, regardless of what comes out, go for it.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Better pet it first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood

Better pet it first.

The dog?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I let my Dalmatians hook up the second heat. Off and rolling.

2 bitches, 10-12 pups each litter, skip a heat go ahead. I mean I wasnt a jerk about it.

Had em in rotation.

Disney had Re-released 101 Dalmatians and it was on jack.

Cutting and delivering cordwood , milling litters, Paid the house off in 4 years

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Breeding those two dogs will be a pig in a poke. You could just as easily get the worst attributes of both dogs as the best or something in the middle. Regression towards the mean is usually quick as within a couple of generations. So an elite national champion dog will usually within about two generations have offspring that are very average even if breed to the same breed.

The other thing with crossing two different breeds both dogs could have great hips as one example but if the pups inherit the breed with larger hip sockets but the leg joints of the smaller one the pups could have sloppy fitting joints. You can mostly prevent that with sound dogs of the same breed but when you start mixing genetics anything is possible.

To get predictable repeatable pups takes a dedicated program of line breeding over generations with an occasional outcross (to the same breed) for genetic diversity and to further refine desirable traits. A kennel owner that can stay completely objective in evaluating a whole lot of dogs and only selectively breeding to few.

Having said all of that, they’re your dogs. As long as you know that you can line up good homes for all of the pups have at if that’s what you want to do. You’ll probably get a good house dog but I wouldn’t have high expectations for a super dog with the best traits of each. I think you would be better off to find a dog of the same breed with similar qualities to the dog that you already have to breed to and you could probably sell the pups to recoup some of your time and money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh yeah, I had 2 bitch miniature collies at the same time too. They only squirted out about 5 pups a litter tho.

Still made killer tho

My male got struck by ligjtning inside his kennel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
I let my Dalmatians hook up the second heat. Off and rolling.

2 bitches, 10-12 pups each litter, skip a heat go ahead. I mean I wasnt a jerk about it.

Had em in rotation.

Disney had Re-released 101 Dalmatians and it was on jack.

Cutting and delivering cordwood , milling litters, Paid the house off in 4 years

I always thought a guy could make a fortune with a barn full of Yorkshire Terrier’s. $1200 or so a pup. Given their size and limited space requirements it would seem to pay a lot better than cattle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just, my thoughts from seeing others, cross breeding, to get specific traits. You will be lucky to get one out of the litter that will have the traits you are looking for. It will take months, to years to figure out which pup has those traits. Are you willing and able to put in the time and money to feed, and work with the pups to find this out.

"That is the plan... brains, agility and a strong nose and lacking fear... around 40-45 pounds."

From what I have seen and read to, quickly, get what you are looking for you need a Blackmouth Cur sire.

There is a war on America and America is losing
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with this guy from Fargo. It is purely a toss-up that you'll get what your aiming for on the first try. Breeding for specific attributes and behaviours takes generations, and you have to be willing to dispose or neuter and give away the ones that don't meet your criteria. AND you may end up with a "Brundelfly"

Last edited by AZmark; 01/21/22.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The lady I got my first female sheltie from. Lemme tell you. That beeoctch was a puppy mill

Had a nice house, in Tn when I say $600k home that means fuggin $10 million dollar digs “out west” again dont hate Tn for that.

Anyway, this lady invites me into her kitchen and she had about 30 wire kennels across the dining room and up to about 6ft high.

Looked those those cage lockers that band fágs kept their marching band hats and instruments in.

Yorkies, frenchies, maltese, other toy breeds etc

She was getting rid of shelties cause they took up too much cage room.

This old gal had diamond rings on every finger and her husband was some douchey lawyer.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

I beg to differ with you on this. As someone who raised, trained, hunted and even sold a few coonhounds, not ALL dogs noses are created equal. Hell I had a jack Russell that I carried with me everywhere for 14 years and that dog couldn't even smell BACON!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Originally Posted by ingwe

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

I beg to differ with you on this. As someone who raised, trained, hunted and even sold a few coonhounds, not ALL dogs noses are created equal. Hell I had a jack Russell that I carried with me everywhere for 14 years and that dog couldn't even smell BACON!

I had a jack Russell who was so dumb, it didn't know it had a nose.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When it comes to breeding dogs and I suspect even people, you never know what youre going to get. I have found that with dogs, it tends to jump sideways one direction and back 2. Meaning your knockdown drag out coon treeing world champion, when bred back will jump to a grandfather/grandmother and or a aunt/uncle characteristic instead of a father/mother characteristic. Take this from someone who has semen stored from a grchgrnitech male that's been trying for 15 years to get back to the traits of the MOTHER of that male, who was a better dog than the male ever thought about being. After spending THOUSANDS of dollars trying, I finally gave the rest of my dogs away and quit. I still have 7 or 8 straws of that semen stored though in case I ever decide to try it again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You’re going to breed those dogs anyway, either now or in 6 months. So, good luck with them.

I suspect that to get the individual you want is very unlikely right away, and will take a serious breeding “program”.

Keep us posted.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive entered competition hunts with that female against folks I had never met before and when they found out what dog I was hunting, were ready to sign the card and withdraw on the spot! That's how good she was. Id give my left nut, hell at this age Id give both my nuts to have that dog back again. In an entire lifetime a man is lucky to get one, MAYBE two dogs that are that good, unfortunately Ive already had mine so I quit the game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crossing bred like that, tha were bred for completely different work, would likely take a lot of generations and careful breeding before anything stable was achieved.

Not that you won’t end up with an awesome dog, but you could likely get a whole bunch of pups that just don’t do what you’re looking for.

Crossing pointer breeds, herding breeds, retrievers.......go for it. They all share similar instincts.
Cur and a shepherd? It’ll be a crap shoot.

Still, go for it and report back!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The question that remains is NOT if this crossbred does or does not make sense... I get it... some of y'all think it's a bad idea... and some of y'all afford me the respect and authority to do as I see fit with MY dogs... on MY land... without a 98 person Approval Committee and a 12 month .GOV application process... Thanks.

But is a 15 month old cur bitch (on her second season) and full bodied the past 4 months is ready to bred... or should I kick it one more heat.

While I appreciate all the insight... and pro and con opinions that was NOT my question.

Slum said yes. Anyone else concur or disagree? Thank you...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
No offense Cash, but I don’t get the everyone needs to breed their dogs. Everybody’s dog is the “smartest damn thing they ever saw” or is “so pretty” or most often they spent stupid money and now try to recoup by shidting out a litter of some boutique made up bullshidt.

Unless a guy has a working line of dogs and is breeding responsibly for those traits, hounds, guards, cattle dogs, etc it’s fugking stupid.

The shelters are full to overflowing and dogs are getting dumped off and abandoned all the time.

The anthropomorphism these days really astounds me. Can’t cut the balls off Fido because the owner projects themself into the fugking dog.

Abso fugking lutely.
AKC and pretty dog breeders that think they have a good dog because it prances around a ring have fugked up more breeds than parvo.

Still, at least cash is trying to make a dog that’ll work better. Will it work? Who the hell knows!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.