Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not to add fuel to the fire...

I was reading my NWTF mag last night and there is a federal ad showing turkey shells and the boxes say... Assembled in America.

I'm fine with that because I always heard where Tungsten shot came from.

It doesn't surprise me on lead shot being made elsewhere after watching water gremlin and its issues.

We live in a global economy and I work for international companies and the china product makes things affordable.

At least federal assembles the shells in my home state.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 20 gauge Browning BPS. I don't have a 20 gauge but put 3 boxes of Federal TSS shotshells in my basket yesterday, then took them out. Probably need the gun first. But then again, if I buy the shells, I'll have to buy the gun.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I really on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 20 gauge Browning BPS. I don't have a 20 gauge but put 3 boxes of Federal TSS shotshells in my basket yesterday, then took them out. Probably need the gun first. But then again, if I buy the shells, I'll have to buy the gun.

I have a 20 gauge BPS upland that would make a nice turkey gun and I recall it patterns well. Plus I bought a meadowcreek red dot mount I want to see if it fits the rib.

If you like the BPS... buy it. I think they went out of production.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The way things are now, if you find the shells and are thinking about the gun, you better buy the shells.
Last year I know turkey shells were almost impossible to find. I gave a couple of boxes of 20's to a buddy so he could carry his grandkids hunting.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
BPSs are still in production. I like them a lot. I've owned a couple but foolishly sold them years ago. Both were 12 gauge. One was an early 3 1/2" version with the slightly extended magazine and engraved received. I've been wanting another and a 20 gauge would be great.

I've been watching Ithaca's website to see if they get any Model 37s in stock but they've been out of stock for months now. They do have their 20 gauge Turkey Slayer in stock.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/21/22.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had every configuration of the BPS they've evered offered, very nice shotguns. My least favorite to shoot ones were the 12ga 3-1/2" models! The one I regret selling the most was the "Game Gun" model, rifle sights, choke tube barrel, came with the long extended rifled choke tube and a turkey choke tube, engraved receiver with deer and turkey. Had a matching pair of the upland models, a 12 and a 20, both with the engraved receivers. Wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I was so inclined...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the BPS but they are a pig. A BPS 20 gauge with a 26" barrel weighs 7 lbs. That is 12 gauge territory and about 1/2 - 3/4 pound too heavy for a 20 gauge hunting gun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the BPSs. Very well made shotguns. So I found a new one on GunBroker and bought it. I probably pissed some people off becasue there were 14 bids on it and I selected the buy now option. It's the field grade with the walnut stock. 28" barrel.

I also ordered 2 boxes of Federal 20 gauge 3" #9 TSS and a couple of boxes of my old standby Winchester XX #5 3" 20 gauge. I also bought a Carlson's extra full choke tube for shooting lead.

Should be fun.

Edit: Carlsons choke tube for shooting TSS, not lead.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/22/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Congrats and enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, Dean, I and my shoulder thank you. My wallet doesn't. But I do.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had a 6# 20 gauge and couldn't shoot it worth a darn. Seven pounds is better, for me, especially for a turkey gun. A gun should kill at only one end.

Some people don't like my heavy guns (the lightest is 6.5#). They probably don't like my size 13 boots either. As the postman said, "To each his zone."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am using Indian Creek chokes on my 2 turkey guns. They pattern great with TSS

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd like to try one of those. I currently have a Tru-Glo and a Carlson's TSS for the 20. I've heard/read good things about the Indian Creek.

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
]I have tried a drawer full of others but it's always been the one that comes out on top

Last edited by pullit; 01/22/22.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I'd like to try one of those. I currently have a Tru-Glo and a Carlson's TSS for the 20. I've heard/read good things about the Indian Creek.

Oops, I see I wroite "lead." I got the Carlsons for shooting TSS, not lead.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by pullit

Years back Indian Creek chokes were splitting barrels.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like the BPSs. Very well made shotguns. So I found a new one on GunBroker and bought it. I probably pissed some people off becasue there were 14 bids on it and I selected the buy now option. It's the field grade with the walnut stock. 28" barrel.

I also ordered 2 boxes of Federal 20 gauge 3" #9 TSS and a couple of boxes of my old standby Winchester XX #5 3" 20 gauge. I also bought a Carlson's extra full choke tube for shooting lead.

Should be fun.

Edit: Carlsons choke tube for shooting TSS, not lead.

Congrats on the new shotgun. What configuration is it?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
]I have tried a drawer full of others but it's always been the one that comes out on top

Can you tell me what indian creek 20 gauge was you the best.

My carlson tubes work but Meh...

I'm running a benelli beretta tube btw.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger

Congrats on the new shotgun. What configuration is it?

Just a basic Browning BPS Field, blued with walnut stock, Invector + chokes. It's a 28" vent rib barrel. I would have preferred 26" but it is what it is. I prefer 26" or less for a dedicated turkey gun but I'll be using this for more than just turkeys so 28" will be fine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LFC

Years back Indian Creek chokes were splitting barrels.

Never had an issue, been using them for over 20 years
Years ago, IC did have an issue with some of the vents on their chokes cracking, but I think they traced it to a bad heat treat batch.
Never heard about any issues with barrels

Last edited by pullit; 01/22/22.

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
295 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.