Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I used to be an avid collector of Confederate currency and bonds. I had unexpected spinal issues back in 2004 that dramatically changed the direction of my life. I decided to part with the vast majority of my collection a couple of years afterwards. You do what 'ya gotta' do and I made a decent profit from it. For the last 30 or so years I buy a sheet of whatever new or commemorative stamps the post office comes out with and set them aside. They will never be worth more than face value probably in my lifetime, but they may be something my grandchildren will someday value. My wife has a rather extensive collection of a china pattern that I have helped her accumulate over the years. At one time I started gathering a collection of sterling silverware of a particular long discontinued pattern that my departed parents had during my childhood. I once had grand visions of large family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas where I would break out the collectable china and real silverware at my country estate. Oh well, so much for that idea. I've thought about selling the silver, but haven't had the heart to do so. I don't need to sell it, I just don't see much need to keep it anymore. Let the heirs fight over it. I started to collect/refurbish Coleman lanterns and stoves several years ago, but gave it up after maybe two years or so. I just lost interest in it. Still have about a dozen. I guess the oddest thing I collect is key chains/fobs. I really don't know why, I just do. I have a drawer that whenever I come across something different: advertisement, style, gadget, etc., key chain I'll throw it in that one key chain drawer. Just something else for my wife to throw away after I'm gone. I have a few WW I & WW II military rifles and pistols in storage. I probably really ought to sell them as I never take them out to shoot anymore. I don't even get them out to fondle anymore. I still am an active shooter, just not them. I suppose you could also say I am a collector of history books, particularly WBTS history. I really don't know how many I have, but I would say at least a couple of hundred. I have told my wife what privately owned/managed library I want them donated to when the time comes. I do not want them in some damned flea market. Oh, yeah. I guess you could say I'm kinda' a collector of iron cookware as well. I don't have anything much that are of collectable value as such, but I do have an overly extensive amount of various skillets, pots, dutch ovens, bread pans, and various accessories. I'm a sucker for a good piece of cooking iron. Something for the heirs to haggle over, I suppose. I collect coins as well. Nothing of much value, really. I keep a few collections books around and fill them from time to time from pocket change. Sometimes when I get real bored I will go to the bank and get rolls of coins to go through to fill the collection books. While they have little value now over face value, coins now minted in the 1950s will be 125 years old when my grandson matures. Maybe they will be worth something then? Doesn't cost me much to set them aside for him. I guess that's about it. My wife thinks I am somewhat of a hoarder. She is probably right, but I won't admit it to her.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by strikeu
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Food, water, and ammunition?

Originally Posted by strikeu
My biggest collection item (both in money and size) is vintage stereo gear. Receivers / amps / speakers.

Cool. I just picked up my Onkyo Integra A-8076 from the shop. Going to fire it up tonight and watch The Last Waltz. Also have a Hitachi SR-84, some vintage Klipsch, 2 pairs of Scott S-15.

That Hitachi is pretty cool.

what Klipsch you got? My most power is a Marantz 2330, several couple of mid power Sansui 7070 and Six. today actually just received a Concept 7.5D, sort of a cult following that Concept line. My speakers run the gamut from couple sets of Pioneer CS-99A and 88A to the higher power set of Sansui SP-X9700, some Paradigm and DCM timeframes. pair of energy C-4 (see my dick comment below applies to me here) . I've probably ruined more speakers than I've owned.

I'll be a dick for a second, LOL. anything black plastic from the 90's ain't vintage. although I DO have some pioneer Elite stuff I don't admit it often.

I have a set of Klipsch Chorus IIs and a Dbx amp & control amp that I bought at the stereo store at Mainz Kastell in about 1991. I need to see if the amps are still good & get some new gear to allow streaming.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I collected old license plates at one time, got tired of them, gave them away. I have some old glass too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/24/22.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Wood and cork working decoys. Obscure cartridges and large, LARGE gauge shells. Have been fortunate to find many first edition hunting books, books about hunting Ovis and Capra. I have a shop full of old tools. Very few firearms as I need only what I use to hunt. We have found and display many nice pieces of hunting art. BTW, I know little of art. I collect what is pleasing to me and my lovely wife. We have 31 taxidermy mounts from our extensive trips.
Having said this I am concerned what will become of these collections upon our demise. Our young grandson, only grandchild, may or may not appreciate our collections. Oh well. I/we have enjoyed them and will continue to do so until we are called. MTG

Any decoys from contemporary carvers? If so who might you have? I carve myself but have been working on building my collection of other carvers.

Last edited by killerv; 01/24/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Atomic #'s 47 aand 79

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seems like I collect Mason and Ball jars lately.......

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HBC memorabilia......Hudson Bay Stores always fascinated me as I traveled in the North.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have several blanket's, and a rye whisky bottle, and my wife has a wool parka.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rose Hazel dishes. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
And Clocks, many clocks.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I collect guns and knives, but people are shocked by how many drills I have... that is not a collection. I need that many drills.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (257 mag, 338Rules, 35, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,296 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,459
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.