Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 44 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 43 44
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot this buck at 237 yards with my Shaen built 6.5 PRC with a 139 scenar. Slight quartering shot. Went in high shoulder and out behind the opposite one. He went straight down at the shot. Minimal damage to the onside shoulder but the tops of his lungs were grenaded. Exit hole was a little bigger than a quarter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My son shot this buck with a 6mm creedmoor and 105 gr scenar.
About 175 yards through the shoulder. It exited pretty high behind the offside shoulder due to the uphill angle of the shot. The bullet smashed up the onside shoulder pretty bad and got both lungs but he made it about 70 yards before he went down. Good blood trail thankfully because he ran in some thick stuff to die.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image sharing

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice buck for the boy! How old is your son?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So,
Anyone find Black Friday deals on Scenars?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TheKid

Thanks. He is 10 and absolutely ecstatic about that one.

For my part of VA it's an outstanding buck. Glad I had him along because I would have dumped that buck in a heartbeat if I were hunting by myself

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice accounts. That Scenar is available too. Makes it nice.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

Which one? I could use some more 139s

What part of VA are you in?

Last edited by Dude270; 12/01/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by beretzs

Which one? I could use some more 139s

What part of VA are you in?

Check out GreenTop Hunt and fish. I usually buy 139’s easy enough from them.

They’re also at Precision Reloading quite often.

I’m in Stafford Va.

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My son shot this buck with a 6mm creedmoor and 105 gr scenar.
About 175 yards through the shoulder. It exited pretty high behind the offside shoulder due to the uphill angle of the shot. The bullet smashed up the onside shoulder pretty bad and got both lungs but he made it about 70 yards before he went down. Good blood trail thankfully because he ran in some thick stuff to die.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image sharing

Awesome picture.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

For my part of VA it's an outstanding buck. Glad I had him along because I would have dumped that buck in a heartbeat if I were hunting by myself

That’s an outstanding buck anywhere. Congratulations to the hunter from an Adirondack hunting guide.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J

Congrats to your boy, thats an Awesome Buck. I would be happy to take a Buck like that anytime.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Beretzs, thanks for the heads up. I never thought of ordering from green tops online. I'm near harrisonburg, if you get over to the Shenandoah valley sometime give me a shout.

fshaw & jc, thanks for the kind words. I got the skull mount cleaned up and on a board this weekend. The kiddo just needs to decide where he wants to put it

Last edited by Dude270; 12/06/21. Reason: Fat fingers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to admit, I was totally wrong about these bullets

My early post is truly embarrassing for me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beretzs, thanks for the heads up. I never thought of ordering from green tops online. I'm near harrisonburg, if you get over to the Shenandoah valley sometime give me a shout.

fshaw & jc, thanks for the kind words. I got the skull mount cleaned up and on a board this weekend. The kiddo just needs to decide where he wants to put it

Sometimes they have stuff no one else has. I tend always look or call for harder to find stuff. They've been good to me over the years.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Found this guy yesterday. 123gr Scenar from a 256 Newton. Shot was 347 yards and I was shooting from the top of the ridge down. Second pic shows the exit hole.

That's a cool rifle!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cooperfan

Coop,
With 34 pages now on the thread I'm not going to try to look up your earlier post, but I do have a question. Have you been doing some hunting with Scenars yourself that changed your mind or is it all the success posts here?
I am mostly in the latter camp as the success folks had convinced me to give them a try. Neither kill in my sample size of two was particularly challenging to the bullet but I am still thinking I'll keep using them.
Early on in the thread somebody asked the astute question "What would this thread look like if its title was 'Deceased by Partition'?" It'd be 1000 pages long is the answer. My take so far is the advantage of the Scenars is they are so very, very, accurate, have excellent BCs, and they kill pretty darn good when they get there. Since bullet placement is 90% (or more) of the problem, that's a real vote for the Scenar based on those first two attributes.

So, what were the factors in changing your mind?

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by cooperfan

Coop,
With 34 pages now on the thread I'm not going to try to look up your earlier post, but I do have a question. Have you been doing some hunting with Scenars yourself that changed your mind or is it all the success posts here?
I am mostly in the latter camp as the success folks had convinced me to give them a try. Neither kill in my sample size of two was particularly challenging to the bullet but I am still thinking I'll keep using them.
Early on in the thread somebody asked the astute question "What would this thread look like if its title was 'Deceased by Partition'?" It'd be 1000 pages long is the answer. My take so far is the advantage of the Scenars is they are so very, very, accurate, have excellent BCs, and they kill pretty darn good when they get there. Since bullet placement is 90% (or more) of the problem, that's a real vote for the Scenar based on those first two attributes.

So, what were the factors in changing your mind?

Cheers,
Rex

This thread has completely changed my mind. I have not used them myself. I have a hunt next year for Mule deer in Montana and I think Scenars will be my bullet.

Early on in this thread, I made a regrettable post comment saying it was "dumb to use a target bullet for game", and now I have not only bought some of those bullets but, I'm going to use them on an expensive out of state hunt next year. That is full circle thinking, LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
139 Scenar, 260 Ackley at 2950 ...200 yards behind the shoulder...Tried to lunge forward but ended up nose diving.. I also took a blacktail doe that went down at the shot..I was a tad skeptical at first,but not any more.. I have since started stocking up and have lots now...Also have a Creedmoor to feed. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice buck Santiam!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those bullets work just fine.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 34 of 44 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 43 44

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
456 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.