C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
Originally Posted by Bristoe
You need a Plott hound.

X2!

Damn flatlanders
Just WTF kinda hounds you suppose they hunt bears with in WV anyways ? My buddy took his plotts to WV to chase bears and the residents he hunted with used plotts too.

#BADASS... wanna cookie?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
hope your wife is fixed

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by driftless
hope your wife is fixed

Rapier wit...

But not good enough for a cookie... Sorry.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.

This.^^^

As an aside, My buddies have mt curs that they run coyotes and bobcat. Incredible dogs for that purpose. They are really expensive dogs.. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But experiments like that are how they get all these different breeds.

It may not be your purpose to make money on it but it would be my thinking not to let a breeding with another quality cur go to waste.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
uncomfortable with you handing out treats

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Diesel
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.

This.^^^

As an aside, My buddies have mt curs that they run coyotes and bobcat. Incredible dogs for that purpose. They are really expensive dogs.. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But experiments like that are how they get all these different breeds.

It may not be your purpose to make money on it but it would be my thinking not to let a breeding with another quality cur go to waste.

No interest in money... if they turn out well we will keep a few males... if not we will do a Cur to Cur... and Aussie to Aussie in the future.

Just an idea I have that I cannot let go untested...

The only real question I ever actually asked was 2nd heat 15 moth old Cur (full mass for past four months)... breed now... or wait for next heat.

I was NEVER asking for approval of the idea... only is the bitch ready...

I am still asking that... she seems ready to me.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by driftless
uncomfortable with you handing out treats

That's OK... I will wear a mask at the Post Office when I mail cookie... I promise (kinda sorta).

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Last time I was at the pound I was 17 years old pulling community service for a drunk in public conviction.

Public swimming pool scrubber and courthouse mopper veteran (two tours each) on CS duty for remarkably similar unfounded accusations. Mid-80s. Pound duty? Sheeit. Family know the judge?

wink

They didn't want some yellow bastard to eat the dogs.

Thats why you didnt get the gig.

And that's where the irony lies. We've always secretly targeted the felines and various snakes, Fats. Plus any rodents. Appreciate your being open-minded about yellow folks' culinary peculiarities, though.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Who do you think taught the redskins to eat doggies?

Sheesh.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Sheesh.

Ah, got it. The Arsekimos, right? Makes sense.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Last time I was at the pound I was 17 years old pulling community service for a drunk in public conviction.

Public swimming pool scrubber and courthouse mopper veteran (two tours each) on CS duty for remarkably similar unfounded accusations. Mid-80s. Pound duty? Sheeit. Family know the judge?

wink

They didn't want some yellow bastard to eat the dogs.

Thats why you didnt get the gig.

And that's where the irony lies. We've always secretly targeted the felines and various snakes, Fats. Plus any rodents. Appreciate your being open-minded about yellow folks' culinary peculiarities, though.

I'm pretty sure the Red Man ate dogs, and a few early 19th century "white" explorers. You folks prefer non-canids, eh?

I hope you and the missus had a very nice holiday season Leighton, the dogs too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Sheesh.

Ah, got it. The Arsekimos, right? Makes sense.

We are all Koreans in spirit.

woof woof.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Diesel
My buddies have mt curs that they run coyotes and bobcat. Incredible dogs for that purpose. They are really expensive dogs.

There is a tiny Facebook page called "Old Stock Mountain Cur"... they have fantastic dogs... BIG TIME Cur hunters... LOVE the breed... prices are very very modest. Look like magnificent dogs... Most prefer the blacks and brindles just FYI.

Guy on the Fire sent me there... it was solid counsel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Originally Posted by ingwe

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

I beg to differ with you on this. As someone who raised, trained, hunted and even sold a few coonhounds, not ALL dogs noses are created equal. Hell I had a jack Russell that I carried with me everywhere for 14 years and that dog couldn't even smell BACON!

I think Ingwe might know a thing or two about dogs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Originally Posted by ingwe

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

I beg to differ with you on this. As someone who raised, trained, hunted and even sold a few coonhounds, not ALL dogs noses are created equal. Hell I had a jack Russell that I carried with me everywhere for 14 years and that dog couldn't even smell BACON!

I think Ingwe might know a thing or two about dogs.

I don't know who Ingwe is and honestly I don't care. All Im saying is that all dogs noses aren't created equal and a few don't have any better sense of smell than we do.
In the competition coonhunting world Ive hunted against every breed out there and YES certain breeds do have certain qualities when it comes to scenting ability. Its called "cold nosed or hot hosed". Typically a bluetick has the "coldest" nose of any breed. The will "wallow" a track that the other dogs cant even smell. Redbones, Black and Tans, Plotts, English, Walkers, that pretty much has them in order from cold to hot. Im probably gonna piss some people off but a Walker fits the bill for a 2 hour hunt perfectly. A bluetick MIGHT tree that coon by daylight, but a walker is gonna find multiple coons to tree in that same timespan.
Im out of that game now. My current dogs: 1 is a border collie/black lab/red heeler cross. Shes natural bob and looks like a border collie on steroids. Shes got an AMAZING nose! We killed a bobcat coming home last year, when we got home the guy that killed it laid it on the ground for 5 minutes while he got his truck and put it in the back. That dog could smell where that bobcat laid on the ground for a WEEK and she never saw the cat!
The 2nd dog is a border collie/heeler cross. As far as intelligence goes, shes smarter than the other one. I don't know how good her nose is though, I haven't spent as much time with her.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
stop all this silliness and get a Kangal, better yet get two.

Here ya go.

.... like tears in the rain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
stop all this silliness and get a Kangal, better yet get two.

Here ya go.

Impressive looking beast, but a NO GO for my needs.

New neighbors a few houses down (city folks wanna be farmers on 4 acres) moved in with Guinea hens, chickens and such... a REALLY REALLY dumb idea... (we have Bald eagles and Osprey by the score being on the water and all). They also have a fearsome Great Pyrenees guard dog to protect their flock. The neighbor warned us how fearsome the dog was and if Miss Lillie SCB came around the GP would kill her.

One inevitable day... the dogs met in the middle woods. It was absolutely hilarious... like Arnold Schwarzenegger trying to catch Bruce Lee...

We... and Rex (herding guard Aussie) got Miss Lillie back to our place... tail wagging happy... "Can I do that again Dad?"

Any dog fast enough to run down rabbits and squirrels... is what I need.

On the brutal terrain of our WV place a big dog will truly suffer.

Is a Kangal, a GP... or a CBR a tough dog against human or large game? Absolutely yes...

Are they nimble and fleet-a-foot in bramble, briar and laurel... absolutely not.

Smaller Curs and Asssies will warn, evade and allow me to aim a weapon. That is my need.

Every man has different needs...

The title of this post was about AGE to breed a bitch...

NOT about best breeds...

OR people's obsessive desire to ASK for a Government Regulatory Program to Authorize and Grant free men "Permission Slips" to have or breed dogs.

I swear some of you guys want .GOV to grant you permission to take a piss.

* Not directed at your AKA_Spook... I like the idea of a Kangal... or a CBR... in many many situations/places. If I owned rural land in mellow places like Idaho, Alaska, Montana with bears, lions and wolves... ABSOLUTELY... but WV is just too damn harsh for a big dog.

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/22/22. Reason: Clarify

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck on your breeding. Mutts are a bit of a crap shoot. But sometimes it works. Not trying to change your mind. But you described a drahthaar. Probably mentioned all ready.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a cool picture!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.