Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rteric Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Anyone out there have any recommendations on any outfitters in Wyoming or Montana that are booking somewhat early season cow elk hunts?

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Same here. I have never been elk hunting.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You don't need an outfitter for a cow....

Buy your self a large kids sled or plastic toboggan... sharp knife and meat bags...

Shop for a cow tag that will let you hunt in December... a lot of half price cow tags in Wyoming for December hunts....

Get your self a hotel or Air BNB in a local town and be up road hunting public areas at first light....

You will find groups of cows out on BLM that you can put a sneek on... use your bino's. On-X and BaceMap are your friends.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mikieb

Buy your self a large kids sled or plastic toboggan... sharp knife and meat bags...

Shop for a cow tag that will let you hunt in December... a lot of half price cow tags in Wyoming for December hunts....

Get your self a hotel or Air BNB in a local town and be up road hunting public areas at first light....

You will find groups of cows out on BLM that you can put a sneek on... use your bino's. On-X and BaceMap are your friends.

Have you been successful with this kind of hunt in Wyoming?

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Unit 7 has a lot of good cow elk hunts.. My college roommate and I hunted there several times. In late season cows can be in large herds and tough to approach. For the price of some of these hunts, I couldn't knock my truck around haul an atv and pay for the gas. I really feel they are a good buy. Especially if you haven't hunted elk before, it is not as simple as finding blm hauling a sled out and shooting a cow. Imagin if you will 16 degrees and putting you hands in the elk carcass and doing this in a 20 mile an hour wind. I have done a couple guided cow hunts, and if I continue to fool with elk hunting, I will do some more. Also conditions can change so quickly. For years north if town there were large herds of elk visible from the road. Getting on them was the hard part but you could see them. I shot several there. This year, those herds are gone. They learned at the first shots to head for the river and safety on a large private ranch.

In addition on another mountain there are usually lots of elk. Put in you days and you will succeed. They too are gone. Why, local theory is wolves moved into the area and the elk left. Just some ideas. Good luck.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would not recc. area 7 for a cow hunt unless you have access lined up.
Some areas have cow open before the bull or any elk season. Apply for an area with good public access and come out when the season opens.
Many areas are better late, into Nov-Dec. Those areas may have limited access and you will be looking for elk on HMAs and walk in areas. Snow could very well limit access by Nov into Dec.

Several outfitters offer cow hunts , price varies greatly as the more expensive will be on private land with great success rates. A few trespass hunts can be had but those are few and far between and not cheap these days.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
He ask for guided cow hunts not diy. Lots of public access equals lots of hunters.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He also asked for early season and I know of no one doing guided cow hunts in area 7 before bull hunts.
Very well may be a few but give him some names if you know of any.
Might look into Iron Mountain Outfitters in area 6.

Cow tags are limited and most all start before bull or any elk season, he would be out with only the other cow hunters and maybe some deer hunters.
Still needs all the equipment for a cow hunt that a bull would take, guided would be easiest for someone without the means to DIY.

Guided cow hunts are not cheap anymore so look over many outfitters.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
PM sent

"I'd rather be lucky than good, but you know the harder I hunt the luckier I get"
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

How many elk have you killed doing that?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by chesterwy

How many elk have you killed doing that?

In Wyoming ? Three so far. All cows.

The last one was a challenge... .

I got to town the around noon and got checked in to my VRBO by 1pm.... went out in the country looking for animals. I drove and parked and glassed different areas. At the 3-4th spot I stopped to glass, I spotted a small herd of elk. A long way out... I pulled my spotter out and glassed them up... they were like 2 miles out and up at least 800 feet. Too late in the day and I was too lazy to make a move.
Next day, out before the sun.... as soon as it was light, I was glassing the hills. Glassed several spots. Made it to where I saw the elk the day before and sure enough the elk were still there. I kept checking spots further down the road. At noon or so, I made it back to where I spotted the elk.... Got out my spotter. looked at the elk... figured a route to get to them unseen... and then thought about it for an half hour before I committed to the hike... It was a long hike and goodness, you got to get the dead animal out. That is what kept me from going to get it in the first place.

So, 1pm, I laced up my hikers and packed a kill kit and away I went up there. Made a super creep on a small herd of 12-15 animals... belly crawed up a hill on the down wind side at 300 yards. Layed and watched the animals for 20 to 25 minutes. Chambers a round and sent one off. Cow rolls down the hill. So, at 3pm on day two, I got a cow down... Now the work starts with 1 1/2 hours of sunlight left. so, quick like a bunny I get the cow cut up, bagged and parts at least 150 yards from the carcass with the gut pike... all neatly bagged and on top of sage brush.

Next day, before it was light out, I was hiking with a kids plastic toboggan sled .and a pack frame.. I put 3 quarters and the bag of neck meat and scraps in the Toboggan, laced it up like your shoe to hold it all in, and one front quarter in the pack and made my way back to the truck.... The down hill part was the hardest if you can believe it because I got pulled down the hill out of contole some.... sled went tight thru the sage brush like a dream.

Back at the truck with meat at 1030am on the third day.... back to town by noon eating at the local Mexican food place by 1230. Spent the rest of the week trout fishing right in town. And just killed the fish.

Trying to get picks to post.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.