Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some help in finding 4 replacement bolts for as many inherited rifles. As I understand it, the Win pre-64 Mod 70 is going to be pricey - that's OK, these rifles have very significant emotional value. Having said that, no need to tell me that I'm better off scrapping the rifle for parts. As for the story as to how they were separated, it's a bit of a long one, which involves theft from a widow and a lot of determination to make the situation right for future generations. Regarding any concern around that, more than glad to provide references to authorities and/or a reputable gun dealer familiar with the situation.

I've spent several hours scouring the internet for online parts store, gun auctions, etc., and have thus far come up short. OK, here's the list:

Winchester M70 pre-64. 1948-1952 style, 30-06
Winchester 320 22 cal
Ruger M77 1971 30-06
Sako AIII 375 H&H

Many thanks for any advice on hunting these down.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck in your search- that's going to be a tough one...

Just keep checking sites like this one and putting the word out every chance you get and you may be amazed what pops up. I came upon a guy who had bolts for my 40X rimfire by chance and mentioning I was looking on several forums... and not just the classified ads... in the forums also..

Free bump

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
For the Winchester 30/06 you might check pre64win.com

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Id Keep Eye On E-BAY, If You Haven't Been. Alot Of Gun Parts Pop Up On Their...

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Bob! Good news is I have the rest of my life to track them down wink I'll check in here from time to time and won't be obnoxious about bumping, but I'd appreciate advice from time to time on compatibility.

It's hard to know, for example, whether any year Ruger M77 bolt would fit my rifle.

And while this bolt:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/403423900842?epid=1953246196&hash=item5dedf034aa:g:08QAAOSw~2Rh6zqf

doesn't look much like the one I've seen here:
https://pre64win.com/collections/bolt-bolt-parts/products/complete-model-70-bolt

the description seems to fit.

Yup, thanks PA Guy, winpre64 seems to have, just out of stock at moment.

Thanks again!

Last edited by WillieMike; 01/22/22.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Jack FIrst gun parts South Dakota
numrich
WInchester collectors webpage

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I know first hand if you contact ruger and explain the situation they will help you. The entire rifle will more than likely need to be shipped to ruger. The LGS here locally bought a stainless 270 without the bolt for cheap. Ruger would not ship a bolt for our gunsmith to install. After the rifle arrived the shop there contacted this shop to go over everything then work commenced. I believe there may have been an upgrade to the safety but my memory isn't the best. I'm thinking the total cost was in the $500 range. Give this a try at least. Hope this helps.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Regarding the M70 pre-64 bolt, you need to find one that allows for the correct headspace - or you could be in for an expensive gunsmith job to set back the barrel, ream the chamber, or machine the bolt face.

Basically the manufacturing process back then allowed for some machining tolerances that stacked up.

The Winchester factory assembler had a bunch of bolts. He would grab a gun, insert a bolt and check go and no-go. If it worked, they would then stencil the bolt with the gun serial number and off it went.

If the headspace was too short or too long, the assembler would grab another bolt from the pile of “short” or “long”, until he go one that worked. Then stencil.

I posted a story in here a few years with a mismatched M70 pre-64 bolt that created unsafe head space. Out of pure luck, I found the bolt from my gun (SN) on eBay. The owner was selling it (parting out), as the M70 he had wouldn’t even chamber factory loads as his HS was too short. Long story short, he had my bolt and I had his.

Near as we can figure, the original owner of both guns swapped the bolts out inadvertently and then sold them.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a box of mauser bolts and parts from an estate , so happens there is a bolt in the bunch that is marked ruger 77 - if interested can send pictures
bolt face appears for -06 size cartridge's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to discourage but just to install a bolt that is not original to the gun could be dangerous if firing with out checking headspace. It
Also could be expensive to fix the headspace if not correct.
I dont believe Ruger can help on your 77 as they state on their site that they do not support that model anymore.
I would post on the Ruger forum if you have not already.
Jeff

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Originally Posted by Stammster
Regarding the M70 pre-64 bolt, you need to find one that allows for the correct headspace - or you could be in for an expensive gunsmith job to set back the barrel, ream the chamber, or machine the bolt face.

Basically the manufacturing process back then allowed for some machining tolerances that stacked up.

The Winchester factory assembler had a bunch of bolts. He would grab a gun, insert a bolt and check go and no-go. If it worked, they would then stencil the bolt with the gun serial number and off it went.

If the headspace was too short or too long, the assembler would grab another bolt from the pile of “short” or “long”, until he go one that worked. Then stencil.

I posted a story in here a few years with a mismatched M70 pre-64 bolt that created unsafe head space. Out of pure luck, I found the bolt from my gun (SN) on eBay. The owner was selling it (parting out), as the M70 he had wouldn’t even chamber factory loads as his HS was too short. Long story short, he had my bolt and I had his.

Near as we can figure, the original owner of both guns swapped the bolts out inadvertently and then sold them.

What are the odds of this happening? They have to be very long! Awesome.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
W
OP Offline
W
All, thanks for replies! Wa11, definitely interested!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have an early M77 bolt in fair condition. Pitted and will need refinishing and reblueing. PM me with a tx number I can send pictures to if you might be interested. I had a .308 length bolt refnished for $30 a couple of years ago but this one might take more work to clean up.

Newer Ruger bolts will not work in the tang safety models. Ruger no longer had mid length tang safety bolts 3 years ago

Bill

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 01/23/22.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I’d check with brownell and numrich for gun parts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Post a phone number or an email.
Can’t PM you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
IF you haven't posted this on Accurate shooters classifieds I'd suggest it. I see some odd stuff show up there often.

stocks/actions/barrels

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Give Ahlmans in Morristown mn a call they might have some.

W
OP Offline
W
OK, thanks everyone. I guess my member status doesn't allow PMs. My email is smmkellergmail.com. Thx!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.