Print Thread
Hop To
D
doc3360 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have never been elk hunting. I would like to take my son this Fall if I could find something. We would like to do New Mexico or Colorado rifle this time but would like to hunt as close to peek of rut as possible. Any outfitter reccs? I am newbie, am I doing this in the right place?

2 Tim 2:15
BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I cant speak to CO. First thing you need to do is establish your budget. Then you’ll need to figure out what kind of hunt you’re looking for of dreaming of. Wall tent or lodge, high country or PJ country, horseback or hiking. Unless you draw a tag most hunts with a landowner tag will be from $10k to $18k for the hunt not including incidentals. You mentioned getting some rutting action. That could mean possibly having to hunt with a muzzleloader. In some units in NM private land tags can set their own dates for gun tags from Oct1 thru Dec. this can be a game changer. Rez hunts are the same although some don’t offer a late hunt. Many guys on here don’t believe in moon phases, they say hunt when you can. While I hunt no matter the moon it can definitely make or break a hunt and that can be frustrating for a new elk hunter. For my personal hunts I definitely plan around the moon. One option is to contact a consultant group like Epic outdoors or The Draw. They’ll have options and many times offer discounted cancellation hunts.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
D
doc3360 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Great!!! Thank you very good info. I want a lodge hunt would rather have landowner tags but don't mind using a draw service. I will check into Epic and The Draw.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
I cant speak to CO. First thing you need to do is establish your budget.

Anything is available with enough money.

Budget is absolutely the most important data point.

Rut elk hunts are the most desirable, so you will pay.

Drawing a rifle bull elk limited entry tag during the rut with no points may not actually be impossible, but it will seem like it.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

Last edited by plumbum; 01/22/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you want a lodge hunt with a rifle during the rut in CO, check into the ranches that are in the Ranching for Wildlife program, they can rifle hunt during the rut. It's pretty expensive though. Three Forks is one I'm familiar with but CP&W can give you the list.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

D
doc3360 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yes I was thinking of the Ranching for Wildlife program great suggestion. Thanks everyone for input. We are trying to keep the total under $20K for two hunters.........preferably lower than that but we are willing. Since it is our first we're not expecting 350" opportunities just wanting to kill solid mature bulls and have a good time. My son hasn't been so interested in the past, we are a bow hunting family and mainly whitetails in Ks and Tx with the occasional excursion to S Tex for free ranging exotics. Suddenly he has started buying rifles and going to the range and now says "Dad lets go elk hunting, I'm buying". What dad wouldn't jump on that?

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt public near an outfitter in eastern Oregon. I know it’s further than you’d like. But I’ve seen heards of elk On their hill side.
look up opal butte outfitters, last time I checked it was 5k for guided hunt and lodging. Probably had to buy the tag and license your self.
I did a Guided Utah hunt this last year for a bull and landowner cow tag. Filled my cow tag and came close on the bull Couple times. But it’s hunting.
As mentioned, donyou want to be in the woods, high desert, farm/rolling hills. All that stuff should be taken into consideration. You want any bull, spike, rag horn or 300” and better? Will you hunt that area or will the outfitter be in the area where there won’t be that opportunity. Ask questions so you’re not surprised
Good luck

Last edited by Dre; 01/22/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doc3360
Yes I was thinking of the Ranching for Wildlife program great suggestion. Thanks everyone for input. We are trying to keep the total under $20K for two hunters.........preferably lower than that but we are willing. Since it is our first we're not expecting 350" opportunities just wanting to kill solid mature bulls and have a good time. My son hasn't been so interested in the past, we are a bow hunting family and mainly whitetails in Ks and Tx with the occasional excursion to S Tex for free ranging exotics. Suddenly he has started buying rifles and going to the range and now says "Dad lets go elk hunting, I'm buying". What dad wouldn't jump on that?

10k a bull?, I'd be expecting a 350.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It really is all about the budget, and than what type of experience you want.

Posh lodge with a hot breakfast and a sauna on private land, 10k

Drop camp on National forest, 2500

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Kenneth

10K ain’t getting you anywhere near a 350 bull now.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57

+1

Been researching this for the last 2 years. 18K plus easily

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Godogs57

+1

Been researching this for the last 2 years. 18K plus easily

More

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think score is the wrong focus…it should be about the experience. I hunted a high end 250,000 acre ranch a few years back and was in rifle range of 100 different mature 6pts (I chose to bow hunt that week but rifle hunting was an option). I also literally heard thousands of bugles. Didn’t bring home a 350+ bill but saw several. That was probably the best hunt of my life. Before I’m too old to chase up and down the mountain, I’ll do it again. Those kind of operations can demand a stupid high price and have a waiting list. My last limited entry elk hunt took 11 years to draw (today I think it is 18). I bugled in mature bulls nearly every day, which was a truly remarkable experience. Because I’m unlikely to draw such a tag again in my lifetime, paying for a high quality ranch hunt is on the bucket list…again. Outside of some really hard to draw units, landowner tags/ranch hunts are most likely to provide you the best experience. I do know a reputable western CO outfitter who runs a good camp with an opportunity for decent bulls (but not in the rut). If you’re interested in something like that shoot me a pm.

D
doc3360 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just joined elkaddict.......can't do pm's at my newbie level but I am interested in your outfitter. We are trying to arrange a hunt this fall b/c 23 is already full of other stuff. Thanks everyone for your input. As I said in an earlier post, we just really want mature bulls and a good outing together.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look at Spur Outfitters in N. Colorado. Probably booked for 2022 though, most good outfitters will be booked for this year.

D
doc3360 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Ended up booking with Kyle Lopez of KBOutfitters Colorado. Recommended by a friend who has hunted with him for several years for elk, mule deer and speed goats. Seems like great guy and sounds perfect for what we want but had to push to 23 and he says booking for 24 already. Says almost every good outfitter he knows is still trying to process through hunts that didn't make due to chinavirus issues. Thanks everyone for input and help, much appreciated.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Good deal! Good luck on your hunt!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Congrats on getting your hunt booked! Hope you have a great time with your son!!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 26 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.