Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've heard mixed reviews but I've never used one. My old chrony quit working.
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Magnetospeed has a permanent home in my range bag. Easy to use and accurate, in all weather or sunlight conditions.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
With the extra weight on the end of the barrel, what do they do to point of impact?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They will change your poi. Therefore they are great for chrono’ing loads but really can’t be used while shooting for groups. They are fast to set up and very easy to use.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The LabRadar is pricier. But I think it has all the advantages of the Magnetospeed without the disadvantages. You can chronograph loads and shoot for groups at the same time. I hardly ever see any other chronographs at my club now.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using MagnetoSpeed for years and as other said it is very easy and simple to set up, you can hook it up to your cell and download data. It will change your poi so I only use it to get velocity once I have achieved good groups.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
The LabRadar is pricier. But I think it has all the advantages of the Magnetospeed without the disadvantages. You can chronograph loads and shoot for groups at the same time. I hardly ever see any other chronographs at my club now.

This. Eventually I will bite the bullet and get a Labradar.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was thinking about getting one after watching Johnny’s Reloading Bench use his. I get more serious about it every time I set up my Chrony. Problem is that it stills works, just a pia to set up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine had a spot in my range bag as well. They do change POI, but I only use them for laid development. My bayonet broke and I called the company. After a couple of emails and a picture to them, I had a new one a week later. For $179, the Sporter does everything I need it to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has been my experience :

Originally Posted by Timbermaster
They will change your poi. Therefore they are great for chrono’ing loads but really can’t be used while shooting for groups. They are fast to set up and very easy to use.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've had a Magnetospeed for a while.

Advantages - compact, easy to set up, no light issues, good battery life.

Disadvantages - Not useful for most handguns, can affect POI a bit. The case that houses the battery, circuit boards, and display seems kind of flimsy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, what MontanaMarine said. I'm sure a Lab Radar would be better if their price isn't prohibitive. I've been using my MagnetoSpeed for several years and would buy it again.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

For that reason they are a little bit of a pain to use when working up accuracy loads. You're faced with choosing measuring muzzle velocity or accuracy but trying to do both can be a problem with some barrels.

Labradar is the way to go but it's $600 vs $180

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you do go labradar, get the trigger and a small usb power supply.....and the fake pelican from harbor freight fits it all super clean.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn’t it Mule Deer that posted pics of using the magnetospeed mounted on shooting bench ahead of the barrel?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Wasn’t it Mule Deer that posted pics of using the magnetospeed mounted on shooting bench ahead of the barrel?

I recall seeing that setup. I don't remember who was doing it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I shot some of my best groups with the magneto installed. POA is irrelevant on the range when developing loads. Great gadget! When you got your hunting load dialed then take it off and fire a fire a few shots to zero. problem solved.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wasn't it Dirtfarmer?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Both Dirtfarmer and I have rigged our Magnetospeeds on a front rest for bench shooting. It's easy and inexpensive to do.

I have found the Magnetospeed more versatile than the Labradar, which has limitations on what calibers and velocities it will read. The MS does not--or at least I haven't found any.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (35, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.