Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HalH
Swamplord

What a great write up. Wildcatting at the highest level.
Who makes your custom brass, is there a minimum order and if you don't mind ,what's a run of brass cost?

Hal

It all depends on the size (yup, size matters) of the case and if it has an existing parent for ease of manufacture, my big dogs the 400 Warlord & 375 Mercenary weren't cheap at $10-$12 per pc of brass, when's the last time y'all bought 100 pcs of brass for $1,205.00 ? lol ! plus initial program set up fees @ $250.00 ....

RCC ie Roberson Cartridge Company in Amarillo, Texas make me the brass per my specs plugged into their programs .... Brass is made from super strong hammer forged C272 brass, partly responsible for the high price but well worth it for the 25 firings on a pc of brass at max pressure, contact RCC for pricing on your case design as costs vary greatly based on a number of things ....

see links below ...

The first two pics are from the RCC website where anyone can order the brass direct, reamers can be ordered directly from PT&G or JGS, the other pics are for the website I'm setting up and are also found on my Precision Rifled Ordnance page on Facebook

400 Warlord RCC brass

375 Mercenary RCC brass

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Swamploard

I really enjoyed your write up. The only thing better is your photography work.
Top notch all the way.
Keep up the great work.

Hal

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Swamploard

Top notch all the way.
Keep up the great work.

Hal

Right, you’ve said it all right there.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I really like the idea of that 6.5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Thought I'd share my 6.5 mm wildcats with y'allz
I know most guys here will feint from terror & fall on their face over the "barrel burner" hysteria that seems to turn grown adult males into vaginas ..... Well, all I got is ... y'all stink like old shrimp, hahahaha

just having a bit of fun, cool ? I always get a bunch of flak from terror stricken 'ginas and have grown quite numb to the dumb, lmao !

The big ones are my fun guns and I have several extra barrels for all of these on hand, got Bartlein & Rock Creek 7 twist barrels that stack bullets on top of each other

A lot of folks go apes hit bananas over the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X (2nd photo) but they were the bullets that I experienced the most catastophic bullet failures I have ever witnessed ... 15 times in a row on water jugs at 100 yards at 3500 fps, bullets disintegrated into a million pieces every single time into the first jug, where is that highly vaunted wHorenady redesigned & improved new "Interlock" design that's supposed to hold the bullet together ? buncha BS pos bullet, sold the remaining 9 unopened boxes I had, never again but kept the last 5 loaded rounds for my collection and as a reminder of bad juju .....,

problem was solved via Cutting Edge MTH & Lazer bullets

Some of these predate the 26 Nosler, 6.5-300 WBY & the 6.5 PRC ... been there, done it & still killing them ....

Jus got some new stocks for a couple of these rifles, once I get them bedded/installed I'll take some pics & post them here

6.5 Skuldryl 150 gr Bullets @ 3550 fps
my max improved style of wildcat, 6.5-300 Norma Mag Improved, for drilling animal skulls from the grassy knoll far, far away, this ain't your mamas creedwhore !

6.5 Prometheus 143 gr bullets @ 3500 fps
my 2010 wildcat, 6.5-300 Norma Mag Imp with long neck
the original Bringer of Fire

6.5 Mighty Mouse 140 gr bullets at 3300 fps in a short action
300 Norma Mag case cut down to 1.9" and necked to 6.5 mm, smokes & kills every single 6.5 sa cartridge on the planet with ease

6.5 Wolfkiller 140 gr bullets at 3150 fps
6.5x55 Swede Improved, maxed out case my style
built on a 6.5 lb Tikka T3 Lite with 24" Bartlein bbl, my wolf killing rifle

Nice camera work - what is the neck length on the SE-AI ?

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by viking
Swamploard

Top notch all the way.
Keep up the great work.

Hal

Right, you’ve said it all right there.

Pics are all taken with a current iphone, on the kithchen countertop or table, usually the basic model at time pics were taken ... Always impresses the gal to find her kitchen turned into a temporary photography studio for brass & bullets, lol !

I've always hated the pics posted on forums where you couldn't make out crap, can't tell what you're looking at, figured if I'm gonna post some pics they'd better be up to snuff

Wildcatting was borne of necessity which quickly became a hobby then an obssession, eventually a form of madness ...

I often get asked "How much $$money$$ do you spend on that crap "? My response is "All of it, can't take it with you when you're done here"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the neck length of your SE-AI ?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 65BR
What is the neck length of your SE-AI ?

full caliber length at .264" & 35 degree shoulder

throated to seat bullets up to 150 gr with no impact on case capacity and still function smoothly in Tikka factory 3 & 5 rnd mags

the WS2 tungsten coated 143 gr Eldx bullets are seated here with only the boat tail past the neck/ shoulder junction and they scream outta there at 3100 fps !

6.5 PRC ? never heard of that byatch, ha !

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dude, your like the Elon Musk of cartridges.😂

Keep up the great work and updates, this is awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, no doubt the results in your target show you have sufficient neck length for accuracy. I may have missed it, but what twist are you running in that one?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool pics and amazing wildcats!

Which powders do you use in each application?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Barrel is a 25" #3 1:8 twist 5R Bartlein, originally supposed to be @ 26" finished length but gunsmith picked up a chip when chambering and made some unsightly spiral scratches in chamber that showed up on the initial cases I fireformed, wasn't having it and had him redo, he chopped an inch off the fat end before consulting with me, lol !

Tikka on a Manners stock looks hot, but can really use a better scope though, that Vortex PST 2x-10x44 is a decent scope and worked well enough but gonna go on my Ruger 10-22 that has an early '80's 2x7 Redfield Tracker on it

Need to get that painted stock on it this weekend and do some shooting with the 150 gr ABLR's I just picked up 5 boxes of

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You’re right. That Tikka looks great!

They’ve got to be about perfect builders for the 6.5x55 case. Magazines and everything are tailor made for pretty optimal length. Great stuff. That looks like a screaming set up!

It’s kinda funny, I have a 270 Win Superlite I don’t do beans with. A 6.5 barrel screwed onto it would be most useful. You got the gears grinding.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by beretzs

They’ve got to be about perfect builders for the 6.5x55 case. Magazines and everything are tailor made for pretty optimal length. Great stuff. That looks like a screaming set up!

It’s kinda funny, I have a 270 Win Superlite I don’t do beans with. A 6.5 barrel screwed onto it would be most useful. You got the gears grinding.

Tikka 5 round mags were only $60 direct from Beretta, with a 3.1" coal using 140 gr Berger Hybrids and Hornady 143 gr ELD-X bullets at 3100 fps, there is still enough room and bullet meplats don't get battered and deformed .... can shoot all 5 rounds without concern of bc change & accuracy issues from tips getting progressively bashed after every shot

Here's the chamber dims I drew up in Quick Design, reamer reflects same numbers ....

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
What an awesome post, the pics,writing, and especially the information! This made my evening, thank you, Swamplord.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Tikka 5 round mags were only $60 direct from Beretta, with a 3.1" coal using 140 gr Berger Hybrids and Hornady 143 gr ELD-X bullets at 3100 fps, there is still enough room and bullet meplats don't get battered and deformed .... can shoot all 5 rounds without concern of bc change & accuracy issues from tips getting progressively bashed after every shot

Here's the chamber dims I drew up in Quick Design, reamer reflects same numbers ....

Dig it!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The 6.5 Wolkiller gets a Manners Tikka stock with a winter hunting camo pattern featuring mean wolf faces in the snow

I know that the camo scheme is plain old fashioned vanity but I couldn't resist at $85 extra, lol

That is cool , love that

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

It all depends on the cartridge I'm working with , I usually buy 8lb jugs x2 for each powder and if not the same lot I'll mix the powder to standardize the burn for all future loads, same if I get 10-12 1lb cans of mixed lot powder, I could not get 8 lb jugs of N570 but ended up with 27 1 lb cans of mixed lots right before the plandemic hit, just used a tote and mixed it all up then put back into the 1 lb cans

I burn 20N29, N570, Retumbo, H1000, Reloder 50, 33 & 26, lately have been messing with LRT, IMR 8133 & 7977

note that I have cartridges with capacity from 65 gr up to 230 gr (416 SLAYER = top secret, lol)

powder & primers are hard to get now but I'm reasonably set up for a bit

...[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Bama_Sleeper, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.