Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#16864995 01/21/22
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mrs Blacktailer's Kimber SuperAmerica has never shot up to my expectations of consistent MOA accuracy. The best it has ever done is about 2MOA with a variety of bullets and powders. I have been tinkering with it for more than 15 years and am pretty well convinced that it needs a new barrel.
I have been through the Montana Tinkering, have rebedded it and switched scopes and mounts to no avail. While 2 MOA is adequate for her hunting needs, being a rifle loonie it bugs me that I can't get it to shoot better.
So first off, I am asking for bullet recommendations in the 130gr range to try. So far I have tried 130, 150, and 165 TSX and TTSX, 130 Speer and 130 Hammers. I'm thinking of maybe Accubonds next. BTW it has a very long throat and bullets can't come anywhere near the lands and still fit in the magazine.
If that doesn't get it done who makes Kimber contour barrels and if I go that route maybe make it a 260Rem or 7-08? I would like to keep the bullets on the light side because of recoil.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
BP-B6

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lilja does Kimber contours.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Lilja on all my Kimbers that I've rebarreled and they've been great shooters.

Not doubting you have went through everything, but I haven't been around one that wouldn't do MOA or better with the factory barrel. A couple have been picky about loads though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Holster Feelers and Start At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

1) Sounds 308 Winny-ish,but pinpoint same. Hint
2) What scopes/bases have been used? Hint.
3) Next time give the fore base fastener ALL of your fhuqking attention,as you've undoubtedly dead headed fasteners into the barrel shank. Hint.
4) Whistle some FGMM through it,if only as a introductory baseline,after ascertaining the above. Hint.
5) I'm down with rebarreling as per whim,but NEVER without Mechanics being the focus. That is impossible,with the chamberings cited. Hint.

If you listen,this schit is fhuqking EASY...if you don't,you'll stay mired. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2 MOA is the best that can be done after all the usual accuracy tweaks? Time to rebarrel!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2005 thread on KoO issues.

I wouldn’t assume anything until I had checked boxes on everything else that could be wrong. Use thread at your own discretion.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/450854

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Holster Feelers and Start At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

1) Sounds 308 Winny-ish,but pinpoint same. Hint Yes 308
2) What scopes/bases have been used? Hint. Leupolds that were proven on other rifles/Leupold and Talleys
3) Next time give the fore base fastener ALL of your fhuqking attention,as you've undoubtedly dead headed fasteners into the barrel shank. Hint. Screws checked and not bottoming
4) Whistle some FGMM through it,if only as a introductory baseline,after ascertaining the above. Hint. Translate FGMM to english please
5) I'm down with rebarreling as per whim,but NEVER without Mechanics being the focus. That is impossible,with the chamberings cited. Hint.

If you listen,this schit is fhuqking EASY...if you don't,you'll stay mired. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint....................

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
FGMM = Federal Gold Metal Match ammo.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FGMM = Federal Gold Medal Match

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the translation. I haven't shot a factory rifle load (except for 223/5.56) for 25 years and that was just so I could get the brass.

Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is fhuqking Fascinatingly HILARIOUS,that folks start HELP! Threads and go outta their way,to fhuqk the obvious up. Hint.

1) Roger that
2) You "fixed"/"determined" NOTHING,in said approach. Which was a given,prior to reply. Hint.
3) I remain dubious. Hint.
4) Folks who actually shoot,answered that obvious. Hint.

Act "surprised",when you calling the shots,continues not to be worth a fhuqk. Hint.

The mechanical corrections are both obvious and easy,for them inclined to holster Hurt Feelers. Pardon my simply knowing in advance. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I wouldn’t assume anything until I had checked boxes on everything else that could be wrong. Use thread at your own discretion.

🦫

Read that thread, looked kinda familiar except I saw something I do not understand. Dogzapper mentioned "shoulder mirage" when referring to his efforts to help out a Canadian college professor. I can't say I've ever heard of shoulder mirage. What was he talking about???

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider

🦫

Read that thread, looked kinda familiar except I saw something I do not understand. Dogzapper mentioned "shoulder mirage" when referring to his efforts to help out a Canadian college professor. I can't say I've ever heard of shoulder mirage. What was he talking about???

I’ve never heard of “Shoulder Mirage” either. I know varying the shoulder pressure, from shot to shot, can cause differences in hits on a target. Mirage is a commonly know occurrence in certain shooting situations, but “shoulder mirage” I have no fûck’n idea.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider

🦫

I’ve never heard of “Shoulder Mirage” either. I know varying the shoulder pressure, from shot to shot, can cause differences in hits on a target. Mirage is a commonly know occurrence in certain shooting situations, but “shoulder mirage” I have no fûck’n idea.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

I wondered the same.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip on Lilja. I knew somebody duplicated Kimber profiles but couldn't remember who.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 01/22/22.

Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They also make a factory contour that has just a little more weight at the end. 1 or 2 ounces, feels great imho. Less wispy.

Spence

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Because of an issue I had with the factory barrel, I had a PAC-NOR stainless steel 280 AI barrel installed on my Kimber 84L. They contoured the barrel to replicate the factory barrel’s dimensions. Best of all, this rifle now shoots-lights out.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Shoulder mirage" is that last glimpse over your shoulder of your wife's angry face as you head out the door to the range for the third straight day.

If you're not careful to maintain concentration, that last image will hurt your shooting because you know you're going to be getting a big 'ol earful when you get home at the end of the day.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shinbone
"Shoulder mirage" is that last glimpse over your shoulder of your wife's angry face as you head out the door to the range for the third straight day.

If you're not careful to maintain concentration, that last image will hurt your shooting because you know you're going to be getting a big 'ol earful when you get home at the end of the day.

BTDT!
Here are a few images of the bore and crown. Pretty ugly. BTW I have also run Tubb's Final Finish through it in the past and it still looks this bad. The crown could be fixed but these are throughout the bore.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Thanks for the tip on Lilja. I knew somebody duplicated Kimber profiles but couldn't remember who.

I did. Had them do a mod84m. It eliminates the taper once clear of the stock.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.