Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've only seen one, that a buddy over near Santa Fe hadn't trapped. He's gotten a few over the years, but they are uncommon, here.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you get one in a live trap toss a blanket or heavy towel over it , they won’t spray for some reason .
Then you can transport them to your favorite nieghbors cellar 😀

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My dogs trees one one night in a San Antonio city park, it was vocalizing pretty loud, a raspy high pitched sound the only time I’ve seen a live one.

Had one calling at dusk just last week in a different city park.

Here’s a way that ringtail could turned up in Idaho Falls...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They're common here. I had two climb through the funnels into my quail recall pens and kill all my birds.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That map says we gottem, but I've never seen one. Might be I'm just blind....

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rock Chuck: Very interesting - thanks for sharing.
Put me in the "never seen one" column.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This ringtail showed up in Twin Falls, ID this week. It was found near the sugar factory which isn't good habitat for anything, quite dangerous in fact. The IDFG trapped it and moved it well out in the country to better and safer habitat.
This is only the 5th ringtail ever seen in Idaho. It's well outside of it's normal range. It does invite questions about whether there are more of them here.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Surprised they aint got across the Mississippi yet into the southeast.
Bad enough armadillos been around here for the last 10 or so years.
Intelligent little nocturnal animal like those ringtails per the link would have a field day for life in the southeast with all the food sources rural and urban.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got em out here on the coast too, though not plentiful. Shine the trees at night and you’ll spot one once in awhile.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Did not realize their habitat or range was so close to me extreme Southwest Missouri. Spent quite a bit of time within there range and never seen one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a cross between a possum and a coon.

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 01/22/22.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen one in the central Sierra Nevadas.
Dead on the side of the road. Never have seen one since.
That was 20 years ago.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is a funky looking critter -

I kind of wish I had seen one or lived where they are…. Kind of weird looking critter - Neat !

I don’t know if they are good or bad for things though..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've only seen one and it was at least 20 years ago in the Northern Sacramento Valley. One of my daughters cats had one treed up on a ladder that was against the house.

I'd heard barking out by the back porch so flipped on the light and opened the screen door and the little bugger was making a hoarse barking noise on the top of the ladder three feet away. Got the cat to leave it alone and it wandered back into the orchard.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I've never seen one.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
This ringtail showed up in Twin Falls, ID this week. It was found near the sugar factory which isn't good habitat for anything, quite dangerous in fact. The IDFG trapped it and moved it well out in the country to better and safer habitat.
This is only the 5th ringtail ever seen in Idaho. It's well outside of it's normal range. It does invite questions about whether there are more of them here.

Curious why you would proclaim the sugar factory dangerous habitat.

I spent three weeks there in 82. We shot chucks and caught trout in Rock Creek each Sunday on the factory grounds. Has the area become extensively urbanized since then?

Or perhaps you refer to extensive truck and rail traffic? But that could be encountered anywhere.

The sugar factory grounds in Nyssa Or has a resident herd of deer, extensive populations of chucks, quail, pheasant, fox, and of course the ubiquitous rock dove.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm in the SW corner of MO. Old timers here call them Civet Cats. Used to trap them. I've never saw 1 here and I'm 33. Vanished like quail, jack rabbits, and beaver.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by LJBass
I'm in the SW corner of MO. Old timers here call them Civet Cats. Used to trap them. I've never saw 1 here and I'm 33. Vanished like quail, jack rabbits, and beaver.

Civet cat down in this neck of the woods is a spotted skunk.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Curious why you would proclaim the sugar factory dangerous habitat.

I spent three weeks there in 82. We shot chucks and caught trout in Rock Creek each Sunday on the factory grounds. Has the area become extensively urbanized since then?

Or perhaps you refer to extensive truck and rail traffic? But that could be encountered anywhere.

The sugar factory grounds in Nyssa Or has a resident herd of deer, extensive populations of chucks, quail, pheasant, fox, and of course the ubiquitous rock dove.

the IDFG considered it dangerous enough that they trapped and moved it. The Rock Creek canyon is right behind the sugar factory. You'd think it would give lots of protection so I don't know what their thinking was. There are deer and who knows what else living down there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Extremely nocturnal. Only one I've ever seen was in the shop building behind some shelves at one place I worked in the desert along the Colorado River (the real one, not that Texas one smirk ) And that's with me being a night owl and having a lot of jobs where I worked nights.

I think they're called miners' cats because they really like the dark. Those are night goggles he's wearing.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
When dad was a kid ( he was born and raised in Atascosa county about 30 miles below San Antonio) he said there was a fella that would come by the feed store every week and buy critters from them. Snakes, lizards , butterflies, coons, possums, etc. Just about any critter they could bring back n alive.
They lived out in the blackjacks and they would go out at night with a carbide light and catch stuff. Dad said one night they had a possum and a ringtail they had caught in a tow sack. Then they caught a coon and threw it in the sack. And he heaved it up on his back just in time for the fight to start.
He had a scar on his back where that old boar coon buried claws in him. This was probably right before the war and he was aboy 12 and his brother about 9 or 10. They did that kinda stuff back then! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 655 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.