Campfire Ranger
Thanks! That site is a wealth of info.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A single 1"x6"x6' piece of board can make 1 bluebird house. I found the pattern in a book called, "Woodworking for Wildlife," by Carroll Henderson. The hole size is somewhat important as too large of a hole can let starlings in and they are much more aggressive than bluebirds. Height is also important as too low or too high makes it more difficult to clean every fall and too low prevents keeping out squirrels and raccoons with a shield or tin wrapped around the post.

There are several bluebird house plans but the one above is the cheapest and simplest. Recommendations as to placing, height above ground, direction, competitor/predator control, and other factors are covered in the book. I've made dozens of the bluebird houses over the years as well as woodduck/kestrel, hawk, owl, and other houses.

Kestrels and bluebirds can coexist, one just has to put up a lot of bluebird houses! Actually, I don't think I have lost more than a handful of bluebirds to kestrels in any given year as the kestrels seem more attuned to mice and grasshoppers. It looks like I lose more bluebirds to shrikes based on the number of bluebirds I see hanging off barbed wire. Tree swallows use the nest boxes readily and it does help to put two boxes within 50'-60' feet of each other to reduce competition between birds. Face them at a little angle away from each other so the birds don't look directly at each other.

I've had as many as 150 houses up at a time but I'm down to about 60 now. Some were not used for some reason while others have had the post rot away or fall over. Others were allowed to fall into disrepair as it became too time consuming to keep them up. The boxes provide plenty of birds for entertainment.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I put a piece of shingle on the roof. One of the sides is screwed so that it
swings up by removing one screw. Gets used every year, probably 15 yrs.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
My son use to make them and sell them at farmers markets. One #3 cedar fence picket is enough for one box, hinge the top with a hook and loop to count chicks or evict undesirables. The consensus at the time was 1 9/16" hole was best, 1 1/2" would wear on their feathers and 1 5/8" would favor starlings. Be careful about making posts like this, the bluebird crowd are more aggressive at recruiting than Mormons or Jehovahs.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I built one when I saw a kit at Home Depot or Lowes. Mounted it in my daughter's back yard. Had Bluebirds almost immediately. Very cool. When I visit we sit on her patio and watch the birds coming and going. Also put up a feeder.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Steve
I saw a male/female pair of W. Bluebirds on the OSU campus last week. Thought that was crazy early.
Swallows are already at the refuge here too . Not used to seeing them in town until St. Pattys Day usually. Off start..
Dan

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steve
Not a whole lot of starlings or English sparrows around our place. Lots of other birds. Chickadees, etc. We have several violet green swallows around in the summer. I know they compete with bluebirds for nesting sites. Read that with tree swallows you're best to put a couple boxes very close to each other. That way blue birds will use one and the swallows the other. Not sure if that holds true for violet green swallow.

I space mine out about 100 feet apart. on cedar posts . Boxes are used every year

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve
Gonna build a couple this weekend. Saw one today and it got me going.

Lot's of plans and placement instructions on the net.

Any pointers?

Struggled for year to get them nesting in the yard...specialized boxes...you name it.

Added dried meal worm feeders...and in they came! Beautiful birds...enjoy them

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.nysbs.org/handouts/ThePetersonBox.pdf

I make the holes a little more narrow and taller. I mount them on metal poles and use a snake guard. I have a trail with 20 on the farm and one in my back yard, with a couple on the 6 acres up the road I have.

Watching them feed across a field from my deer stands is a favorite pastime.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve build em of scraps.

Cedar or cypress.

I put some metal around the hole. Like copper or brass shim material.

Keeps squirrels from chewing and making the holes big.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Blue birds are my wife's favorite birds. We have 4 boxes on our property. All are used in the spring. There is an open death warrant for house sparrows with a no questions asked policy.the house sparrow will trap the blue bird in the nest box, and peck it to death. Then build a new nest right over the dead blue bird. if you want to draw/ help the birds over the winter put out dried meal worms. We have a gang of about a 12 to 14 birds that will perch in the tree above the feeder and wait for us to to fill it. The blue birds will empty the feeder in a few minutes.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a mealworm feeder is also on my project list.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Not sure about the nesting habits of bluebirds, but I have one idea you may find cool. Build the box and make the back wall out of 2 way glass and mount it near an exterior window in your house. That way you will be able to watch the entire cycle of life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool thread, I was gonna recommend the NY State Bluebird Society website, for some years I had a camera set up inside a purple martin nest hardwired into the TV. I got the instructions from the NY Bluebird Society website.

Where I’m at is way too urban for bluebirds, way too many house sparrows too.

Since they feed up in the air purple martins don’t care too much about the surroundings of the nest, you can even get ‘em in the middle of a big city.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ours lay 2 clutches every year. We clean out the boxes after every clutch has left. You will occasionally find a dead one in there.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Knocked one out. Need to get a pole set up for it. Probably only do one as we've only got enough open space on the property for it and a swallow box.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Steve; 01/22/22.

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Excellent job there Steve! A couple days after the nest is built they will lay one egg a day for five days. Hopefully all the eggs will hatch 15 days after the last egg is laid. If not, remove any that didn’t hatch. Not all of the chicks may live so check the box regularly and remove any dead ones. After they leave the box, promptly remove the nest and clean the box out. Very often they will build a new nest and have a second brood. Good luck!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. Will put it up this week. Next up a meal worm feeder that's raccoon proof.

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have 5 bluebirds at my feeders right now eating suet. Three males and two females. It's sunny out but just 7°. It's great having them around in the winter!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 51 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.