Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone run em? Gotta buck hunt planned in Oregon this year, no sabots or plastic can be attached to the bullet. Any others I should be looking at? Thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Love em. As close to a black powder lightning bolt as you can get. Accurate and the best terminal performance of any conical. I shoot real black powder in my T/C Hawkens 54, 50 and Seneca 45. The BP greatly increased my accuracy over Pyrodex Select.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Just right thanks Hank

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Anytime

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Shoot them out of my white. Good bullets

Hang on tight !
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Full bore sized bullets are soft, so they swell up (obturate) when the powder lights off, and engages the rifling. I've found that pushing them hard, is what makes them accurate. Same thing is not so good for bullet performance.

I drive the no excuses 54 caliber/525 grain bullet with 110 gr/vol or 87 gr/weight of pyrodex P powder....along with a .58 cal wool felt over the powder. The gun shoots sub 2" groups at 100 yards, with peep sights.....sometimes better, depending on me (sight picture, and 61 year old eyes).

This load works great at 100 yards and better, on deer and elk. But, up close, the bullet won't hold together. I shot a cow elk this year, at 14 yards, as it ran past me. Caught the leading edge of the near shoulder blade, shattering about 6" of its neck vertebrae, and did not exit. The 2 pieces of bullet, that I recovered, weighed a total of 468 grains.

Did it work? Sure, the elk died instantly, in an impressive wreck! But, with a bullet that heavy, I would prefer it held together and exited.

Same bullet at 100 yards and beyond will typically exit, and if not, will have a perfect flat top mushroom pushed back almost half way down the length of the bullet....depending of if it hit big bone(s) or not.

In the past, I used the hornady great plains bullet, in 54 ca/425 grain. Only difference, they have the hollow base, so...no need for the over powder felt. They were just as accurate, and performed the same on big game. But, they quit making them in 54 cal., and that's why I switched to the no excuses bullets.

Sooooo.....if all your shots are close, you may want to slow them down (if you don't lose accuracy)....or, if you load it up, you may want to keep your close shots in the ribcage, and off the big bones. That's what I've found, here in Idaho, in the past 25 years of ML hunting, with similar regulations, that you have in Oregon.

Andy3

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Great info, thanks Andy. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use them in 50. I've handed out a bunch to buddies and they have always shot better than powerbelts. My pards Remington shoots them to bench accuracy.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Andy3
Sooooo.....if all your shots are close, you may want to slow them down (if you don't lose accuracy)....or, if you load it up, you may want to keep your close shots in the ribcage, and off the big bones. That's what I've found, here in Idaho, in the past 25 years of ML hunting, with similar regulations, that you have in Oregon.Andy[/quote]

Spot on.That seems to be the hardest thing many muzzle loaders can't grasp

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/22/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't be afraid of a patched ball either

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Take a look at the 300gr. Thor bullets. To make them legal for Idaho they remove the plastic tip and it weighs 297gr.

Last edited by elkcountry; 02/04/22.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by elkcountry
Take a look at the 300gr. Thor bullets. To make them legal for Idaho they remove the plastic tip and it weighs 297gr.

I spent a lot of time shooting that bullet a couple years ago out of 2 different T/C rifles. I couldn't get consistent accuracy with them. I used the sizing pack to settle on my size which loaded easily with a clean bore. After one shot using BH 209 the next bullet was difficult to load. Maybe I should've tried swabbing the bore between shots but the guy I talked to at Thor didn't think it was necessary, so I went down a size. I still didn't get good accuracy, so I went to another bullet but that one has a plastic cup. I measured some with a caliper and they seem inconsistent, but I can't recall the variation. The skirts come out of the box dinged up also and since the copper is hard I don't think they grip the rifling very well.

I would stick with a lead bullet. T/C Maxi-Balls have been the most accurate for me but Hornady Great Plains bullets might be worth trying.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/bullets

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Love em. As close to a black powder lightning bolt as you can get. Accurate and the best terminal performance of any conical. I shoot real black powder in my T/C Hawkens 54, 50 and Seneca 45. The BP greatly increased my accuracy over Pyrodex Select.

+1

Been using them a while. Zero complaints at all. Boringly reliable.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bill_N

I would stick with a lead bullet. T/C Maxi-Balls have been the most accurate for me but Hornady Great Plains bullets might be worth trying.

I'd go with teh No excuses over either of the maxiball or great plains. YMMV

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

No copper, no plastic.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Got a sizing kit en-route, thinkin 460’s or 600’s….

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had some 490's that were fine, but settled on the 460 NE for my .45

Cool thing is, you barely need to push them and they just plow through anyway. Even cupcake 50 grain loads plow through. Its the nature of big heavy lead more than anything about the NE bullet.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that. It’s shiity some states still make a guy “hunt” with a muzzleloader, 😎😅

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman

No copper, no plastic.

What commie state isn't allowing copper?

I thought they had the HP version specifically for Oregon?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/12/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
441 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.