24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just made 75# or 10 gallons of jerky. I would like to store some of it in mason jars long term. Has anyone done this?

My thoughts were to add the finished jerky to hot quart jars and set the lids while hot.

Any success or failures with this or similar would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have always froze mine. Never trusted dry canning meats. Depends on how it was cured I guess?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you have one of the jar vacuum adapters for your foodsaver?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by high_country_
I just made 75# or 10 gallons of jerky. I would like to store some of it in mason jars long term. Has anyone done this?

My thoughts were to add the finished jerky to hot quart jars and set the lids while hot.

Failure recipe: Everybodys jerky preferences are different, mine is basically cool dried spiced meat. Some people dry their jerky at over 130 deg which to me ruins the flavor, tastes like leftovers. So anyway, I wanted to try a couple quart jars, I guess there was too much moisture in the meat when I jarred it, and when it was done it tasted like leftovers, had that cooked flavor. Since then, I have just vacuum sealed it...doesn't last long around here anyway, grandsons have noses to put a bloodhound to shame.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd trust using a vacuum sealed bags before trying the mason jar.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by high_country_

That doesnt sound right.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do you have one of the jar vacuum adapters for your foodsaver?

Negative.

I made a few batches, classic salt and sugar recipes. I'm using a LEM commercial dehydrator that pumps out 10# every 4-5 hours. Moisture content is bang on.

I don't like the potential freezer flavor and we had a pretty banner year on elk so freezer would be hard pressed to store a hot dog right now. It's in the 20's so storage in the shop is fine for now....but, I've heard of dry canning this stuff with success, but never done it. I have 10 quarts of dry morels from over a year ago that have kept perfectly.....but they are not moist meat.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like I could buy the jar attachments and use my vacuum pump to seal the jars. Do you typically inert with nitrogen, toss in oxy absorbers or both? Neither?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the dairy world, for mold prevention you flush the oxygen out with CO2 or N2. CO2 absorbs into product (I don’t know how it reacts with meat) and after a day the product is vacuum packed with no vacuum ever being applied. If you don’t want it to vacuum, you add some N2 to the mix. The N2 isn’t absorbed, leaving a pillow pack. C02 is cheaper than N2 so it’s what is tried to be used the most if.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Stargon mig gas mix?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got stargon, argon and nitrogen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimone
Stargon mig gas mix?

Might be more than a home user needs….

I just put a nitrogen system in, $70k for redundant air compressors and close to $100k for the nitrogen generator which is just a big sieve that filters the nitrogen out of the compressed air plus some various storage tanks and other hardware.

CO2 I just bought a used tank, I think it was a 25 ton unit, and installed for $90k with the refrigeration and vaporization units. CO2 comes in by the semi load.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
package in 1lb stacks in paper lunch bags and then put those in gallon freezer bags. 75 lbs of jerky is a schit ton

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
With 5 kids, it'll last a week.

Looks like it'll be about 10 gallon ziploc bags packed tight....still have a couple loads to go.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i put in paper bags to keep it from getting slimy

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I jarred up 36 quarts with oxygen absorbers and 27" of vac on them. I have them stored in the frozen shop and one without the oxy absorber on the window in the kitchen to observe.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've never tried storing jerky in jars. I always vacuum seal and freeze. After opening, I store in paper lunch bags in the refrigerator.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
129 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.