Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone used or is still using solid fuel stick handwarmers? I used to rely on these to keep me in the woods when I was a kid during PA's late flintlock muzzleloader season. I'd wear a wool shirt with chest pockets and often put the handwarmers in my shirt pockets instead of coat pockets. I guess for convenience, I migrated to disposable handwarmers for the little bit that I use them over the past few decades.

Just for the helluva it, I dug out the old handwarmers today, along with some fuel sticks that have to be 35+ years old and sparked one up. I lit both ends of the stick for maximum warmth. Holy smokes! These things burn so much warmer than disposable handwarmers - it isn't even close. I'm not sure why I've shelved these things for so many years, but they are definitely getting placed back into the rotation of useful gear, especially for activities such as ice fishing.

They do emit a bit of a funk compared to disposable warmers, which might be a deal breaker for some. But, depending on the activity, it is a welcome trade-off.

For you young whippersnappers who grew up using disposable handwarmers, consider getting yourself some solid fuel stick handwarmers for those really cold outings. Light one end of the stick in moderately cold temps and both ends on frigid days.

For the record, I also have a few Zippo warmers, and I lit two today to compare against the solid fuel stick handwarmer. Only one stayed lit, and it was just barely warm. I've never had good luck with these, and they give off more odor than the solid fuel stick handwarmers do.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 01/22/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used em’ a lot, in the 90’s.

They worked great too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Og and Zorg would be proud. The modern woodsman uses a rechargeable warmer. I use THIS ONE Trust me, you do not want to use the highest setting on this thing, It will be painfully hot. It heats almost instantly, has three heat setting, works as a flashlight, as a power bank for your phone, and even vibrates (yeah, I know what you're thinking...)

This is the best price on it I've found, but it ships from China. Other stores are available.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
had one them thin's back in the 70's... found at a yard sale fer a dollar... used it on first deer hunt, old timers said you'll never see a deer with that stink box... shot my buck at first light opening morn'in...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Og and Zorg would be proud. The modern woodsman uses a rechargeable warmer. I use THIS ONE Trust me, you do not want to use the highest setting on this thing, It will be painfully hot. It heats almost instantly, has three heat setting, works as a flashlight, as a power bank for your phone, and even vibrates (yeah, I know what you're thinking...)

This is the best price on it I've found.

Daughter gave me one of those last year. Used it this year a couple of times to warm a sandwich. In a backpack pocket. They DO get warm. I’ll have another or two next fall.

Last edited by shootem; 01/22/22.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
had one them thin's back in the 70's... found at a yard sale fer a dollar... used it on first deer hunt, old timers said you'll never see a deer with that stink box... shot my buck at first light opening morn'in...
If a deer can smell that, he's long since smelled you.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a rechargeable that works really well and it gives off no odor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is the best price on it I've found, but it ships from China. Other stores are available.

I like that. Temps are 104 deg, 122 deg and 140 deg.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yep, so the buck wasnt downwind.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I still like the old Johnny-O
but in a pinch will take a 9v battery and an old 9v plug with the tails twisted together..

are the solid fuel sticks like Hydrazine fuel cooking tabs?

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/22/22.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

That could be nice in a sleeping bag on a bad cold night or pitched in the bag as a warmer while sitting by the campfire getting dru..., uh telling Campfire stories.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/22/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I still like the old Johnny-O
but in a pinch will take a 9v battery and an old 9v plug with the tails twisted together..

are the solid fuel sticks like Hydrazine fuel cooking tabs?

Elongated pieces of charcoal or some such.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They were nothing more than formed charcoal briquettes, really.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you have a need for the fuel sticks for those handwarmers, they're about $9/doz on Amazon or Walmart. Sportsmans has them for $5.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yep, so the buck wasnt downwind.

hey, i'd rather be lucky than good anytime... besides, the shoot'in had started around me 15 minutes before daylight (pitch dark lol)... by the time that buck trotted by me, he didn't know whether to schit, piss or wind his watch...

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Used them all the time back in the day. Light both ends? Ha! Rookie stuff. Break the stick in half and light all four ends. Will it burn your coat pocket? Darn right it will! I was once lightning a stick in the duck boat and dropped it when ducks were working. I can’t remember if I shot a duck, but I DO remember pulling that hot stick out of my smoldering coat pocket. Express 5’s we’re flying everywhere as they came out too. Those were the days.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Solid Fuel Stick Handwarmers, search @ Sportsman guide shows nothing.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can still get em’ at Sportsman’s Warehouse for about 5 bucks, as Rock Chuck said.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tried those solid fuel ones while waterfouling when I was young. Sometimes it worked pretty good but was unreliable.

I have a couple zippo brand warmers that work great for a few hours at a time.

I don't use any of them consistently.

Bought my wife an Ororo vest, she has all bu quit using hand warmers.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Express 5s, boy that brings back memories. that lead sure does kill!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.