Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by cas6969
Originally Posted by ccd
Receptive to eventually producing single shot, but definitely not Handirifle or Shotguns...

So if they're not gonna be rifles and not gonna be shotguns...? laugh

Maybe they’re just not gonna be Handi.

Ok so he just doesn't want them to be handy

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darryle
I have a 450 Marlin and a 7mm-08 Handi, would love to find a 280 Remington or a 25'06 or 270

I regret ever parting with my Ultra Hunter 450 Marlin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a .223 H&R with a bull barrel I bought off my late father in-law about 15 years ago. I wish it had the 1:9 twist barrel, but it’s a 1:12 twist instead. I’ve made some nice keyholes with it. 😅

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was his mention of the H&R AR15 lower and the M1 Garand receivers that got my attention. It sounds like the M1 receivers are going to be forged and then finished on a CNC. There is going to be a learning curve but I have faith that the PSA and Nodak Spud guys can pull it off. It would be nice to see some competition for the m14 receivers as well.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handi rifles have been bringing pretty good money at the gunshow sense they went out of business

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the early ones had very bad triggers but most sb2 rifles were good

Last edited by srwshooter; 01/21/22.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well if I lived in some damn state that a single shot rifle with an exposed hammer over 35 caliber was the rule for use in a primitive season I'd laugh and rejoice while I was ordering a new Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 and go kill sh*t. Jeebus...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Id get a Contender rifle.

Have never liked the Handi rifles

Last edited by hookeye; 01/21/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well if I lived in some damn state that a single shot rifle with an exposed hammer over 35 caliber was the rule for use in a primitive season I'd laugh and rejoice while I was ordering a new Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 and go kill sh*t. Jeebus...mb

Or grow a pair, man up and accept the challenge of using a front stuffer.

It's a Dam shame so many, are so pussified they can't grab a flintlock and
enjoy the frustrating fun of learning to operate it well.
They really can be effective and pretty reliable.
It's just the onus is on the operator to make it work.

About as bad as the so called archers always telling me how
archery is so great. Bow hunting makes you a better hunter and
it's better hunting. That is usually mixed into their conversation about
the newest bow/sight/arrow/broadhead, and how its so much
better.

"Really? I thought you liked the challenge?"

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, I could give a rip about the challenge. Lol. My stainless Whelen CVA puts meat in the freezer, rain or shine. Last weekend of “Primitive” here. Gonna try to stab something with an Accubond.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I suspect that in most, if not all states, a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 or a flintlock is legal in the regular rifle season.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee, only two pages and we’ve already gotten into dick-swinging and name-calling.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Gee, only two pages and we’ve already gotten into dick-swinging and name-calling.

Wondered what you meant.

Whoops blush
Maybe a bit over zealous?
Sorry guys.
That guys that didn't re-read the way it came out.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Or grow a pair, man up and accept the challenge of using a front stuffer...
..."Really? I thought you liked the challenge?"

Originally Posted by JPro
Honestly, I could give a rip about the challenge. Lol. My stainless Whelen CVA puts meat in the freezer, rain or shine. Last weekend of “Primitive” here. Gonna try to stab something with an Accubond.

Most guys are just like JPro, they don't give a rip about the challenge of hunting with a muzzleloader, they just want a longer hunting season. I killed a bunch of deer with a muzzleloader I built from a kit when I was 12 years old. When they legalized inline muzzleloaders I bought one because it worked better and was legal. When they legalized the handi rifle in 35 Whelen I bought one of them. Now you don't even have to use a muzzleloader if you're hunting on private land during the primitive weapon season, just use your regular rifle so that's what I do.

I get that some guys want to dress in buckskins and do the whole longrifle thing, but most guys just want to hunt longer with the most effective thing they can legally use. Nostalgia and the challenge never figured into it, just a longer hunting season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Most guys are just like JPro, they don't give a rip about the challenge of hunting with a muzzleloader, they just want a longer hunting season. I killed a bunch of deer with a muzzleloader I built from a kit when I was 12 years old. When they legalized inline muzzleloaders I bought one because it worked better and was legal. When they legalized the handi rifle in 35 Whelen I bought one of them. Now you don't even have to use a muzzleloader if you're hunting on private land during the primitive weapon season, just use your regular rifle so that's what I do.

I get that some guys want to dress in buckskins and do the whole longrifle thing, but most guys just want to hunt longer with the most effective thing they can legally use. Nostalgia and the challenge never figured into it, just a longer hunting season.
Then they should just do away with muzzleloader/primitive weapons season and extend the regular season. Calling it muzzleloader or primitive weapon season while allowing scoped in lines and/or cartridge rifles is a joke. Personally I wish they'd just do away with bow/MZ/Primitive weapons seasons all together and just have deer season.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Or grow a pair, man up and accept the challenge of using a front stuffer.

It's a Dam shame so many, are so pussified they can't grab a flintlock and
enjoy the frustrating fun of learning to operate it well.
They really can be effective and pretty reliable.
It's just the onus is on the operator to make it work.

About as bad as the so called archers always telling me how
archery is so great. Bow hunting makes you a better hunter and
it's better hunting. That is usually mixed into their conversation about
the newest bow/sight/arrow/broadhead, and how its so much
better.

"Really? I thought you liked the challenge?"

Define challenge.

I would think the goal of every hunter is to kill stuff the most efficient way. I don't think there should be any type of special season, you can either kill deer today or you can't. I don't care if you want to do it with a spear or a 30/06.

I'll use a 30/06, because I'm not a caveman.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It took a lot of fighting and time to get a season to use a muzzle loader
without the aggravation of rifle hunters.

Long time ago, almost another world.
Hunting was an active pursuit, for rifle hunters. Which was about the
only game. Muzzleloader guys wanted a season to hunt in a primitiveway,
with those guns.

I assume archery was the same, but it soon fell completely into the arms race.

Pa, has a bit of time for true primitive blackpowder. After everyone else has
taken a whack at the deer. Our earlier blackpowder season was a sell out
to the in-line industry.

Mike, I do agree with you on one point, sort of.

They should decide on what seasons are, and are for.
If they won't keep them "pure".
Just do deer season. Run what ya brung.

(PS. I use an in line in the early season. It's just a PITA single shot 30-30.
in my opinion)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Yes, I don’t write the laws or make the rules, but I do abide by them. And “primitive” is a pretty slippery slope. How far back does someone want to go?

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It took a lot of fighting and time to get a season to use a muzzle loader
without the aggravation of rifle hunters.

Long time ago, almost another world.
Hunting was an active pursuit, for rifle hunters. Which was about the
only game. Muzzleloader guys wanted a season to hunt in a primitiveway,
with those guns.

I assume archery was the same, but it soon fell completely into the arms race.

Pa, has a bit of time for true primitive blackpowder. After everyone else has
taken a whack at the deer. Our earlier blackpowder season was a sell out
to the in-line industry.

Mike, I do agree with you on one point, sort of.

They should decide on what seasons are, and are for.
If they won't keep them "pure".
Just do deer season. Run what ya brung.

(PS. I use an in line in the early season. It's just a PITA single shot 30-30.
in my opinion)

Nearly 50 years ago, I hunted a bit using a TC Hawken in the shotgun-only area I hunted in MD, not really for the challenge, but because it was more accurate than the bead-only shotguns most used. I was a pretty poor deer hunter than, but had two good opportunities that went awry for reasons not associated with the platform (though a fast second shot probably would’ve saved the day both times). Mostly I’m in favor of letting folks work out their own notion of challenge, especially where whitetails are more or less vermin as they are in many places. We have two ML seasons here, both after a couple of months of archery and gun hunts, so even seeing one gets dicey on public land. The second one is for sidelocks with irons, not quite as sporting as the PA flinter season, but close enough.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally I love muzzleloader season. All of them. I hunt Inline in early season and Flintlock in late. Muzzleloader seasons are my favorite

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.