Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter

Med, welcome to the club!

Thanks! Got the barrel ordered today. Pac-nor 1:16” #4 stainless super-match with a few tweaks to the contour to get me to a 21” finished length with a little shorter shank.

Which did you order? Bore and Groove? I was thinking a Krieger #4?

Semper Fi
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

Thanks! Got the barrel ordered today. Pac-nor 1:16” #4 stainless super-match with a few tweaks to the contour to get me to a 21” finished length with a little shorter shank.

I'd go with a 12 twist. 12 twist gives the best straight line penetration in 416 caliber.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'd go with a 12 twist. 12 twist gives the best straight line penetration in 416 caliber.

JWP, you know I ain’t scared of twist so it’ll be a 12 or better. Just me.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by mart
Outstanding. You’re about to embark on one of the most enjoyable rifle projects. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 400 Whelen journey. I’ll never get to use mine in Africa but I have many more seasons here in Alaska to go, God willing.

You're the very reason i had my 400 Whelen built Mart, reading about your hunts was very interesting, when those 98 Mauser Dumoulin actions became available it was a done deal ; ]

Thanks!

Yup. Same reason it’s never left my brain as well.

Might need to call Krieger and get a barrel on order. With the long wait, it’ll give me time to sort out the rest.

Thanks guys. I was just wanting to share my 400 journey. I have truly enjoyed following the journeys of other 400 fans. There’s been a lot of good information put forth in recent years.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JWP, you know I ain’t scared of twist so it’ll be a 12 or better. Just me.

I'm going to rebarrel my 416 and I'm going 10 twist

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

.411 bore, 8 groove. The only option they had. I was surprised at how limited twist options were…seemed a lot of manufacturers only offered one. One I forgot to check was McGowen (my .25/06 wears a McGowen) and I checked tonight and they have several twist options.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

.411 bore, 8 groove. The only option they had. I was surprised at how limited twist options were…seemed a lot of manufacturers only offered one. One I forgot to check was McGowen (my .25/06 wears a McGowen) and I checked tonight and they have several twist options.

Pac Nor will do any twist you want. They make their own buttons in house . Therefore they can make a button for any twist rate you want.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting. I specifically asked if 1:16 was the only option and was told it was. The gentleman I spoke with did indicate they are still limited on tooling after the fire and slowly getting everything back in order.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Interesting. I specifically asked if 1:16 was the only option and was told it was. The gentleman I spoke with did indicate they are still limited on tooling after the fire and slowly getting everything back in order.

That's true,about limited because of the fire. They lost their other twist buttons in the fire. I was told they just needed to make another one. I told them that I wanted a 10 but could settle for a 12 if I had to.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any of you guys read the Sports Afield article by the guy that bought Elmer’s 400 Whelen? My copy is boxed up, so I can’t reference it but the new owner took it elk hunting with some of Elmer’s reloads. He had to make a slight sight adjustment when checking zero. A Speer bullet over WW748......maybe 350 gr? Do you think Speer made those especially for Elmer? My guess is probably so.
The new owner successfully took a nice bull elk and said he’d probably use the rest of the loads assembled by Elmer for more hunting. When those were used up, he would retire the rifle.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dave93
Any of you guys read the Sports Afield article by the guy that bought Elmer’s 400 Whelen? My copy is boxed up, so I can’t reference it but the new owner took it elk hunting with some of Elmer’s reloads. He had to make a slight sight adjustment when checking zero. A Speer bullet over WW748......maybe 350 gr? Do you think Speer made those especially for Elmer? My guess is probably so.
The new owner successfully took a nice bull elk and said he’d probably use the rest of the loads assembled by Elmer for more hunting. When those were used up, he would retire the rifle.

I haven’t read it but man, I’d like to!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
X2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

That's true,about limited because of the fire. They lost their other twist buttons in the fire. I was told they just needed to make another one. I told them that I wanted a 10 but could settle for a 12 if I had to.

They responded today that they can do other twists but the buttons are $500 each. I told them for $500 I would be happy with my 1:16 smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

They responded today that they can do other twists but the buttons are $500 each. I told them for $500 I would be happy with my 1:16 smile

I meant to call Krieger today to see what they’d do. If I think about it I’ll do it Monday.

Anybody ever called Benchmark about what they might do? They did a 1-9.5 .358 barrel for me.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/21/22.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I talked a Pac Nor employee today and he said that he thought his boss making a 10 twist button for .416 caliber.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mart is the reason I have one as well haha. That 30 page thread on AR piqued my interest to jump on the bandwagon

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Because of this thread, i'm going to dig my 400 Whelen out of the safe, wipe it off, chrono a load, shoot three Woodleigh softs at 100, one Woodleigh solid at 100, then one solid at 50 with the express sights off hickory shooting sticks, measure muzzle dia. on the 23 inch barrel, weigh it on Wifes canning scales, then see if Riflecrank will post us up some pics, may give you guys on a build some ideas.

I can say ft lbs of muzzle energy is basically a useless term to me, sells a lot of rifles, pistols and ammo, but, 4500 ft lbs of it with a 400gr bullet at 2255 fps on basically an '06 sized hull is another testament of extreme efficiency, i'm no Elephant or Rhino hunter, but wouldn't hesitate either with my rifle and loads, that also means any critter under those two is more than fair game, and that's anything that walks. smile

It's a little basher!

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gunner,

You are so right. Essentially we have a magazine fed 450-400 Nitro Express. Same ballistics with the same bullets. I don’t know that I’ve ever hear a disparaging word about the 450-400. It made its bones and then some.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by gunner500
Because of this thread, i'm going to dig my 400 Whelen out of the safe, wipe it off, chrono a load, shoot three Woodleigh softs at 100, one Woodleigh solid at 100, then one solid at 50 with the express sights off hickory shooting sticks, measure muzzle dia. on the 23 inch barrel, weigh it on Wifes canning scales, then see if Riflecrank will post us up some pics, may give you guys on a build some ideas.

I can say ft lbs of muzzle energy is basically a useless term to me, sells a lot of rifles, pistols and ammo, but, 4500 ft lbs of it with a 400gr bullet at 2255 fps on basically an '06 sized hull is another testament of extreme efficiency, i'm no Elephant or Rhino hunter, but wouldn't hesitate either with my rifle and loads, that also means any critter under those two is more than fair game, and that's anything that walks. smile

It's a little basher!

Looking forward to the shooting report and pics!

Looking forward to torching off a few of my own later this year. I am thinking when I eventually draw a bison permit this would be a fun candidate for the job….just because.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like Buffalo Arms has cylinder brass in stock.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/30-06-cylindrical-reformed-cas-3006cyl.html

Little cheaper then QC. The pic shows it as Hornady .35 Whelen but who knows.

Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.