Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RUM7
Good luck on your breeding. Mutts are a bit of a crap shoot. But sometimes it works. Not trying to change your mind. But you described a drahthaar. Probably mentioned all ready.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

what I have been thinking....bob

BP-B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by slumlord
I let my Dalmatians hook up the second heat. Off and rolling.

2 bitches, 10-12 pups each litter, skip a heat go ahead. I mean I wasnt a jerk about it.

Had em in rotation.

Disney had Re-released 101 Dalmatians and it was on jack.

Cutting and delivering cordwood , milling litters, Paid the house off in 4 years

I always thought a guy could make a fortune with a barn full of Yorkshire Terrier’s. $1200 or so a pup. Given their size and limited space requirements it would seem to pay a lot better than cattle.

Believe me, it does.

About 1976, my parents converted the milking barn into a Yorkie mill. Crazy old women will pay a fricken fortune for a dog they can carry in their purse.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RUM7
Good luck on your breeding. Mutts are a bit of a crap shoot. But sometimes it works. Not trying to change your mind. But you described a drahthaar. Probably mentioned all ready.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

VERY COOL PIC!

I fought FF out of Happy Camp in Northern Cali... I know your ground... tough grades. My place in WV is much worse. I think DDs are some real bad ass dogs for sure.

This is the FLAT part of our mountain (where we will build the final house)... most of the mountain is steep as sin and thick on briars, bramble and laurel.

NIMBLE dogs are a must... IMHO

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/22/22. Reason: Typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Diesel
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.

This.^^^

As an aside, My buddies have mt curs that they run coyotes and bobcat. Incredible dogs for that purpose. They are really expensive dogs.. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But experiments like that are how they get all these different breeds.

It may not be your purpose to make money on it but it would be my thinking not to let a breeding with another quality cur go to waste.

No interest in money... if they turn out well we will keep a few males... if not we will do a Cur to Cur... and Aussie to Aussie in the future.

Just an idea I have that I cannot let go untested...

The only real question I ever actually asked was 2nd heat 15 moth old Cur (full mass for past four months)... breed now... or wait for next heat.

I was NEVER asking for approval of the idea... only is the bitch ready...

I am still asking that... she seems ready to me.

Sorry, I got off track.

We have been breeders for at least ten years and the guidelines we have always followed and what the AKC says is they shuld be 2 years old. Other local breeders do 1.5 years old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by ingwe

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

I beg to differ with you on this. As someone who raised, trained, hunted and even sold a few coonhounds, not ALL dogs noses are created equal. Hell I had a jack Russell that I carried with me everywhere for 14 years and that dog couldn't even smell BACON!

I think Ingwe might know a thing or two about dogs.

I don't know who Ingwe is and honestly I don't care. All Im saying is that all dogs noses aren't created equal and a few don't have any better sense of smell than we do.
In the competition coonhunting world Ive hunted against every breed out there and YES certain breeds do have certain qualities when it comes to scenting ability. Its called "cold nosed or hot hosed". Typically a bluetick has the "coldest" nose of any breed. The will "wallow" a track that the other dogs cant even smell. Redbones, Black and Tans, Plotts, English, Walkers, that pretty much has them in order from cold to hot. Im probably gonna piss some people off but a Walker fits the bill for a 2 hour hunt perfectly. A bluetick MIGHT tree that coon by daylight, but a walker is gonna find multiple coons to tree in that same timespan.
Im out of that game now. My current dogs: 1 is a border collie/black lab/red heeler cross. Shes natural bob and looks like a border collie on steroids. Shes got an AMAZING nose! We killed a bobcat coming home last year, when we got home the guy that killed it laid it on the ground for 5 minutes while he got his truck and put it in the back. That dog could smell where that bobcat laid on the ground for a WEEK and she never saw the cat!
The 2nd dog is a border collie/heeler cross. As far as intelligence goes, shes smarter than the other one. I don't know how good her nose is though, I haven't spent as much time with her.
He trains dogs for Law enforcement.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

The title of this post was about AGE to breed a bitch...

NOT about best breeds...

My non professional opinion is you can go ahead and do it now… but after two years would be better….give her time to mature…

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Diesel

Sorry, I got off track.

We have been breeders for at least ten years and the guidelines we have always followed and what the AKC says is they shuld be 2 years old. Other local breeders do 1.5 years old.

Thank you Sir... I appreciate that opinion from a professional breeder.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For fugg sake, let em knot up and be done with it then.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Speaking of interesting mutt breeds… sometimes it works out. I had a black lab / coon hound cross that was a hunting machine. He started out by jumping into the hog pen and killing pigs.
That thing would hunt both pheasants and coons. Very bull headed and strong willed. I would leave him loose at night and when he barked “treed” I would go out kill the coon he had treed. He would tree them on fence post or keep one in one place on open ground until I got there.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Huntaholic][quote=ingwe][quote=CashisKing]
BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

He trains dogs for Law enforcement.

AHHH! A Ouija dog trainer then! A SMART dog is way better for that than one that can smell, train that dog to "alert" with visual keys is how that [bleep] works. The not so smart ones get trained to "alert" when the handler flicks the leash a certain way. YES Ive seen that [bleep] in action, guess what??? NOTHING, not a single thing was found after the Ouija dog gave his alert.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lookout boys, we’ve got an expert on board lol

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Your Cur is probably old enough, but I would wait until she was closer to 2 years. I'm no breeder but I've worked professionally with dogs for 17 years.

A cur is made for that part of the world. I've got a brindle OMC lying by my feet right now. He has spent a huge amount of his life hunting the VA-WV line. Fantastic dogs

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

At least have the testicular fortitude to quote whomever it is that you are trying to slander. If its me that you are talking about, Ive got a few questions to ask you:
1. Has your work with dogs ever been included on your tax return?
2. Have you ever competed with your dogs at a local level?
3. Have you ever competed with your dogs on a regional level?
4. Have you ever competed with your dogs on a National level?
5. Have you ever competed against dogs worth more than your house?
6. Have you ever had dogs that you trained that you were offered thousands of dollars for?
7. Have you ever actually made money with your dogs?
I can answer yes to every one of those questions, can you? If that makes me an "expert" then so be it. If it wasn't me you were trying to make a joke out of, then I apologize and hope you have a wonderful day!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

At least have the testicular fortitude to quote whomever it is that you are trying to slander. If its me that you are talking about, Ive got a few questions to ask you:
6. Have you ever had dogs that you trained that you were offered thousands of dollars for?
I can answer yes to every one of those questions, can you? If that makes me an "expert" then so be it. If it wasn't me you were trying to make a joke out of, then I apologize and hope you have a wonderful day!

You forgot #8. Have you ever been knotted up to a dog after you ran out of peanut butter?

MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You forgot #8. Have you ever been knotted up to a dog after you ran out of peanut butter?

That's kinda what I thought.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That's kinda what I thought.
Doesn't really matter on the fire. Everybody is an expert on everything here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh its ok, Im sure hes an expert at something. With society today and participation trophies, no playoffs, no allstars, Im sure hes got it in spades somewhere! It just aint got anything to do with dogs. Perhaps its sucking the snotty end of [bleep] that he excels in? I don't claim to know much about anything but there are a few things I know, dogs is one of them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
First off she's old enough to breed have at and see what you end up with. Not that it matters but Airedale's are by far the toughest breed of mountain dogs that I've been around. The group that I bear hunt with in southeast VA has made a believer out of me.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks for the opinions guys...

Kinda didn't expect a menstruating bitch to garner 7 pages of hell and fury... but then again WTF... it's the Campfire.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.