Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Great job Beav.

I went Thursday, the first day well since the Covid. Didnt get too bad but was on 2 Hydroxychloroquine per week plus the other stuff. Got kinda worried the Friday before and went in, got tested neg, got decadron and ab injection. Figured i would test neg as i had poured some betadine in a bottle of sterile saline nasal spray and been snorting it a lot. Jumprd up the D3 to 20,000 and Z Sulphate to 220, jumprd C to 6000, doubled on NAC, 2 Melatonin in pm, doubled selinium and hand held budesonide.

Drove 110 to Prcos at Orla after the last norther dropped temps there to 18 at night hoping it brought some greenheads down.

Covered a lot of river w no ducks before driving up a hill and spotting a flock a third mile up river with binocs. Drove to river and headed up on foot looping in where they had been. Gone. Hauled ass up river swimming after having seen the truck stationary on the hill and me looking st them with binocs through the windshield. Crap.

Start looping up the river through brush and weeds a blowdowns of old salt cedar from helicopter spraying years ago. A bitch.

Finally jump one straggler 50 yards below the main flock of 30 and throw up and spot shoot. Dont know how i missed but hes gaining power, speed and altitude. Put the bead on the tip of his quack and swing with him and KABOOM. He folds in flight graveyard dead but since the first shot missed he had pulled away and fell in the thick schiett across the river. Crap. No rod reel and Lucky 13 gonna get him, and he was Uge.

Crap. A half mile up or down river to a shallow crossing and im already wore about out from looping up river climbing banks and crossing blowdowns to get to river and look for them through the brush.

I get down to the edge and see 70 yds up a little island and shallower. Make it up there, sit in dead grass, pull off the Lacrosses, wool socks, Wrangler insulated jeans, Quail Run finest made medium thick Moreno longjohns and underwear and step in slush ice lining the shore. Wade across with water a little over a foot deep but sinking in mud and silt another foot holding up Heny with one hand and keeping balance with an 8 foot salt cedar staff while pulling out one foot after another.

Got across and worked down stream through the brush and stobs and weeds barefoot and laid the talley whaker grabbers on the big bastid. Uge.

Rested then headed back again. Got sat on the grass and wiped stinky mud off feet and from between toes afrte drying legs and nuts with the Fruit of the Looms. Wrapped my feet in the Quail Runs and waited for some feeling to return. Feels weird trying to pull heavy wool socks on feet you can see but cant feel. Was so worn out it took some doing to pull those LaCrosses up and on over my high instep with heavy wool socks. You'll learn when you get old enough that pulling on tight boots can be an exhausting event.

Was doing well but tired by the time i made it back to the truck. I love Quail Run Moreno longjohns.

Here he is. 44 inches wing tip to wing tip. I was wore out and headed home.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Jag,

That’s a lot of work for a duck.

Wait, I bought a boat, and decoys, and shells, and another shotgun, and new waders.

Never mind.

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Mike78
Is that a bufflehead on the end?

Yes. Drake Buffy.

🦫

you gonna grill, fry, fricasee, bake, broil, or stew it?

The plan was to pluck the two mallards and give them the oven treatment for dinner tonight.

That was the plan, until I asked the wife if she wanted duck for dinner?

Her first word was Fûck the second word was No.

Guess she meant it, when she told me at the time I decided to get back into duck hunting, that she hates duck.

🦫

you still didn't answer the question. The only duck in that string of text was a "Drake Buffy".

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
that's one heck of a hunt story Jag!

Thanks, Vals. Gettin too old for this stuff.

Ha ha,

yeah, I think about that stuff too.

but sometimes I keep doin' it anyway.

Got to. Dont know if we'll be able to next year.

That was my answer to my older bro when I texted him this pic of a little "stairway" I climbed down from the plateau above. While carrying a 10lb rifle and a 15-20 lb. day pack. And over 60 at the time, with a bad knee.

Reminds me, I may have to put in for that tag again, it was a fun hunt.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 19352012
That pintail have a good sprig?

Pretty decent. If it would have be a drake pin, I’d have taken better pictures of it.

🦫

Non binary?
😳

It identified itself as Fowl/Hen/Duck...But I’m not really certain what it is.

Lol

🦫

The duck also known as Non-Binary....Also misidentified as a Hen Pintail by yours truly, has been correctly identified.

A young Pintail Drake.

That is all.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a new A400 black, this thread made me think of it and get it out.

Looking for 45 minutes before I found it.

I was skeered…

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear them pintails are yummy.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Yes. Drake Buffy.

🦫

The plan was to pluck the two mallards and give them the oven treatment for dinner tonight.

Guess she meant it, when she told me at the time I decided to get back into duck hunting, that she hates duck.

🦫

you still didn't answer the question. The only duck in that string of text was a "Drake Buffy".

Buffs, get breasted and fried in bacon fat.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I was skeered…

I’m missing a brand new GunFighterInc holster. I’m pissed, it was a special order. I can’t find it anywhere.

It’s not a A400, but still. Losing, misplacing things is a PITA

Nice shotgun!
🤬🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
mmmmn?

buddy of mine says don't shoot them. Not so good.

Next time I get a chance I will try it....................................but I'm not a duck hunter. Only gone once or was it twice?

In it is contentment

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I'm out of breath and tired just reading it...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ha ha,

That was my answer to my older bro when I texted him this pic of a little "stairway" I climbed down from the plateau above. While carrying a 10lb rifle and a 15-20 lb. day pack. And over 60 at the time, with a bad knee.

Well at least the scenery was nice. Don't let the old man in!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Yes. Drake Buffy.

🦫

🦫

🦫

Thanks, Beav. Ill remember that for redheads and cans.
Have you tried soaking them in milk and Allegro a day before grilling the fillets?

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/22/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great job Beav.

I went Thursday, the first day well since the Covid. Didnt get too bad but was on 2 Hydroxychloroquine per week plus the other stuff. Got kinda worried the Friday before and went in, got tested neg, got decadron and ab injection. Figured i would test neg as i had poured some betadine in a bottle of sterile saline nasal spray and been snorting it a lot. Jumprd up the D3 to 20,000 and Z Sulphate to 220, jumprd C to 6000, doubled on NAC, 2 Melatonin in pm, doubled selinium and hand held budesonide.

Drove 110 to Prcos at Orla after the last norther dropped temps there to 18 at night hoping it brought some greenheads down.

Covered a lot of river w no ducks before driving up a hill and spotting a flock a third mile up river with binocs. Drove to river and headed up on foot looping in where they had been. Gone. Hauled ass up river swimming after having seen the truck stationary on the hill and me looking st them with binocs through the windshield. Crap.

Start looping up the river through brush and weeds a blowdowns of old salt cedar from helicopter spraying years ago. A bitch.

Finally jump one straggler 50 yards below the main flock of 30 and throw up and spot shoot. Dont know how i missed but hes gaining power, speed and altitude. Put the bead on the tip of his quack and swing with him and KABOOM. He folds in flight graveyard dead but since the first shot missed he had pulled away and fell in the thick schiett across the river. Crap. No rod reel and Lucky 13 gonna get him, and he was Uge.

Crap. A half mile up or down river to a shallow crossing and im already wore about out from looping up river climbing banks and crossing blowdowns to get to river and look for them through the brush.

I get down to the edge and see 70 yds up a little island and shallower. Make it up there, sit in dead grass, pull off the Lacrosses, wool socks, Wrangler insulated jeans, Quail Run finest made medium thick Moreno longjohns and underwear and step in slush ice lining the shore. Wade across with water a little over a foot deep but sinking in mud and silt another foot holding up Heny with one hand and keeping balance with an 8 foot salt cedar staff while pulling out one foot after another.

Got across and worked down stream through the brush and stobs and weeds barefoot and laid the talley whaker grabbers on the big bastid. Uge.

Rested then headed back again. Got sat on the grass and wiped stinky mud off feet and from between toes afrte drying legs and nuts with the Fruit of the Looms. Wrapped my feet in the Quail Runs and waited for some feeling to return. Feels weird trying to pull heavy wool socks on feet you can see but cant feel. Was so worn out it took some doing to pull those LaCrosses up and on over my high instep with heavy wool socks. You'll learn when you get old enough that pulling on tight boots can be an exhausting event.

Was doing well but tired by the time i made it back to the truck. I love Quail Run Moreno longjohns.

Jag,

Wait, I bought a boat, and decoys, and shells, and another shotgun, and new waders.

Never mind.

😬🦫

All that and then tosses it in a dumpster behind the Captain D’s

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I was skeered…

I’m missing a brand new GunFighterInc holster. I’m pissed, it was a special order. I can’t find it anywhere.

It’s not a A400, but still. Losing, misplacing things is a PITA

Nice shotgun!
🤬🦫

I've been lusting after one of those A400s. Nice shotty.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Ha ha,

Well at least the scenery was nice. Don't let the old man in!

Kind of bummed, I had a javelina hunt planned for a few hundred miles NW of that spot starting in early Feb. Had to cancel due to an injured dog, and more importantly Brandon's inflation gas prices. Figured in my truck it was going to cost close to $400 just for gas in my Tacoma, and I can't justify that for the vacation even if I was to be successful.

Saving the money and putting in for elk, deer, or maybe even a sheep as I have a bunch of points on that last one.

Knee has been replaced, so I'm good to go in that respect!

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Great job Beav.

Jag,

Never mind.

😬🦫

All that and then tosses it in a dumpster behind the Captain D’s

Gut that SOB, in the fridge a week, fillet off breast meat, slice in strips across the grain, roll in egg and flour and chicken fry. Get the bowl of Ranch Dip and slap yo momma.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ha ha,

Beautiful. Wish i had ever freaking been there. Thanks for sharing.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

🦫

Really? Those diver duck Buffleheads are pretty to look at but taste like mud and rotten fish.

Dog food

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Ha ha,

Beautiful. Wish i had ever freaking been there. Thanks for sharing.

Not too far from Sedona.

I prefer where I was to the tourist trap there.

In it is contentment

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
143 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.