Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Five years ago I bought a nice little Bose CD AM/FM radio deck for my girlfriend. Great sound quality. Cost $525. In 3 months, it broke. Sent it in under warranty, they didn't fix it they sent a new one for free. Two weeks ago that deck broke, warranty long gone. I bought a used Bose off of Ebay for $200. It is messed up, plays incessant static, not worth listening to. I just boxed it up and shipped it back. Hopefully will get a refund. My affection for the Bose has just about run out.

What is a good little CD deck that is not Bose, and I don't intend to spend $500.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anybody make a combo CD/fax machine? That’s what I’d get.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I got rid of cd decks a long time ago. iPods or MP3 players work much better.

Swifty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We like the Bose SoundTouch too OP. Also our Blu Ray will play CD’s, decent quality sound through the Flatscreen speakers.

Mom and Dad both had Sony boombox radio/CD/cassette players. We have them over at the cabins now. About 3 years ago I bought one off Ebay for the garage. Had several other brands that stopped working after a few weeks I then decided to get another Sony like they had. These things are easily 20-30 years old and keep right on playing.

Bose and Sony are the only brands I own now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Convenient, but with a loss of fidelity, if that matters anymore to anyone.

OP, look at Pioneer or Denon decks, even Sony. Also, Marantz, Cambridge & Technics are solid as well. Just depends on how much you want to pay................all the above are better than good, depending on the model that might suit you. $500-600 will get you a quality unit, but many good ones for both less or more.

Not much sense in getting one that is beyond the capability of your amp or speakers though.

Odd that the OP's Bose didn't last, twice...................I have a 20+ year old Nakamichi that works today like the day that I bought it.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

OP, look at Pioneer or Denon decks, even Sony. Also, Marantz, Cambridge & Technics are solid as well. Just depends on how much you want to pay................all the above are better than good, depending on the model that might suit you. $500-600 will get you a quality unit, but many good ones for both less or more.

Not much sense in getting one that is beyond the capability of your amp or speakers though.

Odd that the OP's Bose didn't last, twice...................I have a 20+ year old Nakamichi that works today like the day that I bought it.

MM

Interesting seeings how when ITunes records a CD it samples at 44,100 the exact same rate the cd was recorded at. Using Audacity your music files can be sampled at up to 192khz although 99% of the CD players or iPods will then convert it back to 44.1 kHz or it just won’t play as the sample rate is too large, plus your files will be larger and the only thing a higher sample rate does is capture frequencies over 22 kHz without clipping. At the sample rate and playback rate of 44.1 without loss of fidelity or dynamics.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Had good luck with these:

Sony AM FM CD W/ Bluetooth

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When it comes to actual quality audio reproduction, nice and Bose are mutually exclusive terms. The Bose narrative is vary similar to the Covid narrative; repeat something often enough and represent it as the gospel, many people will eventually believe it.

If you're going to use a disc player as more than a transport (digital signal out to a standalone DAC) do your homework and find one that includes both a quality onboard digital converter and a well-built analog output stage, provided you care about fidelity. If you're amp and speakers aren't of equal quality and you just want sound to come out, buy something economical with a decent warranty.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

MM

Yeah, because the quality gap between Bose and Nakamichi spans light years. Audio electronics are like ARs; besides the engineering involved, parts ain't just parts.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DavePrice
Had good luck with these:

Sony AM FM CD W/ Bluetooth

That looks good.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Interesting seeings how when ITunes records a CD it samples at 44,100 the exact same rate the cd was recorded at. Using Audacity your music files can be sampled at up to 192khz although 99% of the CD players or iPods will then convert it back to 44.1 kHz or it just won’t play as the sample rate is too large, plus your files will be larger and the only thing a higher sample rate does is capture frequencies over 22 kHz without clipping. At the sample rate and playback rate of 44.1 without loss of fidelity or dynamics.

I was mainly referring to downloaded torrent music or music converted from a Youtube video to MP3 format through conversion software.

Recording directly from the a CD is obviously better.

MM

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
How about Spotify on your cell phone?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pawn shops have CD decks. Cheap. I still have close to 1000 CDs. My favorite music source.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 01/22/22.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fidelity nerds 50 and up - your ass can't hear the difference you deaf bastards. Stream it and get a speaker 2 levels above 'crackle-y'.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bose is best . . .

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thought this was about Trex.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Fidelity nerds 50 and up - your ass can't hear the difference you deaf bastards. Stream it and get a speaker 2 levels above 'crackle-y'.

That's just mean.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you looked at the Goodwill?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Higginez

TFF.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Originally Posted by Higginez

TFF.

Same company makes bag cell phones. They are under 10 lbs and fit under the truck seat .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.