Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Have you ever not put the camera down and grabbed the rifle soon enough. Yep I grabbed the wrong Canon this time. Oh well

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A shot not taken is as good as a miss!

I look at it as "Counting Coup" and making memories.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

Yep Yep

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

ya!

GWB

Yep Yep

[Linked Image from ]

600 yds +

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

500 yds +

closer still

200 yds, +/-

100 yds +/-

The "Big Six"

up close and personal!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thats awesome my friend, great series of snaps. The buck I posted came in well before I had enough light to get a quality photo and was gone in a flash.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elkhunter49;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours well.

Thanks for sharing that cool photo, we don't seem to get drop tine whitetail in this part of BC, though we did occasionally see them in the section of Saskatchewan where I grew up.

If you're okay saying, is that a Louisiana photo?

I ask because of the cactus.

Thanks to my old friend GW for wonderful, crisp photos again too. I always enjoy them.

All the best to you both this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

ya!

GWB

Yep Yep

[Linked Image from ]

600 yds +

500 yds +

closer still

200 yds, +/-

100 yds +/-

The "Big Six"

up close and personal!

ya!

GWB

I enjoyed that

Thank you

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Those are both great bucks.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really only have two photo regrets connected with my hunting.

The first one is that on many of my hunts, and especially my early hunts, I didn't take a camera with me. So now I don't have pictures of, for example, my two largest mule deer bucks, or my first antelope, or my 2nd best 6x6 bull elk, or many of my other deer, antelope and elk. One year in the mid '80s I took a friend in moose hunting. Riding in on my horses before daylight on opening morning, my friend suddenly said, "I forgot my camera." I then realized that I didn't bring my camera either. At first light we saw a bull moose in the meadow in front of us. Larry shot it and it later turned out to be the 4th highest B&C scoring Shiras moose at that time from Montana, and we didn't have any ground pictures of him.

My other regret, and I'm still guilty of it, is that I don't take enough pictures of camp, of the country around us, of packing out the animal, etc, etc.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Elkhunter49;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours well.

Thanks for sharing that cool photo, we don't seem to get drop tine whitetail in this part of BC, though we did occasionally see them in the section of Saskatchewan where I grew up.

If you're okay saying, is that a Louisiana photo?

I ask because of the cactus.

Thanks to my old friend GW for wonderful, crisp photos again too. I always enjoy them.

All the best to you both this weekend.

Dwayne

Good morning Dwayne. The buck in the photo is a deer I photographed in Maverick County in SW Texas. I haven't seen a main frame eight like him since. He came in very early before I had decent camera light which is why the photo is so grainy and over exposed. The buck ran in like a boss sniffing for does and stood long enough for a photo. I dropped my camera and while I was trying to get my rifle up he heard or smelled me and bolted.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My regret is having photography skills not quite to the level of a Kodak Instamatic. As a result, I have very few pictures of my hunts, fishing trips, vacations, and, most regrettably, of my many canoe trips through Ontario, Manitoba, and NWT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never mixed photography and hunting. I'm strictly geared for one or the other.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

ya!

GWB

Yep Yep

[Linked Image from ]

600 yds +

500 yds +

closer still

200 yds, +/-

100 yds +/-

The "Big Six"

up close and personal!

ya!

GWB

Killing that one would be more important than the drop to me. I'd have shot as soon as it was good. Or as soon as needed. Which it mostly appears you did.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I shot a moose midafternoon in a foot of snow. It was getting dark before we finished dressing and skinning it. It was under a mile of flat ground to the pickup and the plan was to come back in the morning with a toboggan to pack it out. We'd only gone 1/4 mile when we crossed fresh bear tracks so it was for sure that we were going to get that moose out that night if it took us all night. We got the toboggan and headed back.
Since it was dark, I didn't take my camera. BIG mistake. When we got back, the moose had been taken over by a pine marten. We watched his antics for an hour as we loaded up. He was going to have that moose or ELSE! The hide was frozen down in the snow. He grabbed it and headed south with it. He was throwing snow with all 4 in reverse. It was hilarious and I didn't have my camera.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Years ago I shot a moose midafternoon in a foot of snow. It was getting dark before we finished dressing and skinning it. It was under a mile of flat ground to the pickup and the plan was to come back in the morning with a toboggan to pack it out. We'd only gone 1/4 mile when we crossed fresh bear tracks so it was for sure that we were going to get that moose out that night if it took us all night. We got the toboggan and headed back.
Since it was dark, I didn't take my camera. BIG mistake. When we got back, the moose had been taken over by a pine marten. We watched his antics for an hour as we loaded up. He was going to have that moose or ELSE! The hide was frozen down in the snow. He grabbed it and headed south with it. He was throwing snow with all 4 in reverse. It was hilarious and I didn't have my camera.

Great story sir, thanks for sharing.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wouldn't even think about taking a picture of a buck until he's on the ground. They can be gone in a flash, or a bigger one may show himself for a few seconds. either way, to much time, effort, money, etc. spent to miss an opportunity that may present itself. Not the time to be fooling around with a camera. To each his own, JMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you ever not put the camera down and grabbed the rifle soon enough. Yep I grabbed the wrong Canon this time. Oh well

Holy balls!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't meet the scenario in your OP, but I regret the unintentional crop nonetheless.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There was a shot I'd like to have had this fall. We had cow elk tags. It was way too warm and the elk hadn't moved down yet. Finally on the last afternoon of the season, we spotted 9 of them 1.5 miles away out on a flat. We watched a while and finally they dropped into a shallow ravine under a rock bluff and bedded down. We drove down the road to a point 90 degrees from where we were and started hiking. We had about 1.25 miles to go but we knew exactly where they were in the sagebrush. We walked right into them. Only 2 of the 9 were cows and my partner and I got 1 each. Of the 7 bulls, 6 were spikes. When they got up, all we could see was a sea of spikes. It was hard to sort out the 2 cows. It would have been a fun photo with all those sticks in the air.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't say I have ever lost an opportunity on a critter due to wanting a picture of it living before shooting, though I have taken pictures while waiting for critters to stand up or to turn just right to determine legality.

I do sometimes regret having not taken better pictures of hunts when I was younger, taken more time to clean critters up and also to consider the background when taking hero shots.

I took this picture while waiting for this ram to turn his head to confirm he was legal. Once I got that confirmation though, the camera didn't even cross my mind.

I also have been better lately about taking pictures of scenes that I know are unique, when in the past I would have just taken in the sight, and went on my way.

I have a really good, high dollar Canon camera but it is just too heavy to pack in a ways. I would like to start using it more though instead of my cheaper point and shoots.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.