Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I would avoid a new one with the Hillary Hole (lock) the gun you pictured will have the lock. I have several M19's and 66's and they are great guns. I mostly shoot 38's out of them but the 357 isn't that bad. I carried a 6 inch M66 while hunting for years but to old to chase a pack of dogs chasseing a bear. It's listed in the classifieds.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
When the forcing cone wears, you just have a new barrel put on.

Seen a few 19/66 that had wear or split.

Consider it the cost of having fun. You shoot that much youve sent a good chunk of money down range
Barrel replacement should then be an acceptable cost IMHO.

4" .357 magnums are annoying in blast.

6" considerably more polite IMHO.

Think a 66 looks best as a 4" though, and a 686 looks best as a 6".

If one likes to run 38 spcl.....get a K frame
If mags your normal fodder, get the L frame.

The newer models supposedly stronger frame but they got some changes that hurt resale ( lock and other ).

The old stuff fetches silly prices

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hookeye
When the forcing cone wears, you just have a new barrel put on.

Seen a few 19/66 that had wear or split.

Consider it the cost of having fun. You shoot that much youve sent a good chunk of money down range
Barrel replacement should then be an acceptable cost IMHO.

4" .357 magnums are annoying in blast.

6" considerably more polite IMHO.

Think a 66 looks best as a 4" though, and a 686 looks best as a 6".

If one likes to run 38 spcl.....get a K frame
If mags your normal fodder, get the L frame.

The newer models supposedly stronger frame but they got some changes that hurt resale ( lock and other ).

The old stuff fetches silly prices

The key advantage to the L-Frame is the thicker, more heavy duty, forcing cone. They likely didn't need to make any other part of the gun more heavy duty to accomplish what needed done.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure the forcing cone thing is an issue anymore with the newer guns.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The new m66-8 - here's a picture of the barrel extension - no longer a problem.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Originally Posted by GunGeek

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Newer, better, steel?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Newer, better, steel?

A redesigned barrel socket that allows a thicker walled barrel extension. I don't know the dimensions compared to the L frame, but if was a betting man I'd think if Smith would go to the trouble of a redesign, I'd bet the L dimension would be something to shoot for.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have never had an issue with either the M19 or M66 using 357 ammo BUT if I wanted to use full power loads on a regular basis I'd go to an N frame pre lock. No MIM parts and IMHO much better quality..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo

Newer, better, steel?

A redesigned barrel socket that allows a thicker walled barrel extension. I don't know the dimensions compared to the L frame, but if was a betting man I'd think if Smith would go to the trouble of a redesign, I'd bet the L dimension would be something to shoot for.

It's not the barrel socket

If you look at an old K frame, you’ll see the bottom of the barrel is shaved off at the forcing cone. Whereas the new ones do not have the barrel shaved off at the bottom. The barrel shank is full thickness on the new ones, and shaved on the older ones.
That flat exists to make room for the gas seal on the crane/cylinder. Really, the real work was done on the crane & gas seal to allow for more room for more barrel thickness at the forcing cone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to shoot it a lot, then buy the current make version. If you want to collect and shoot it a little, then I'd recommend an older one.

Define "a lot".

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you’ve personally blown up a k frame 357, raise your hand and post pics.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hand raised.

My very first handgun was a brand new S&W M19-6. The forcing cone gave up the ghost with a 158 grain JHP factory load (I wanna say it was a Remington), about 6 months into my ownership. S&W promptly fixed it and returned it to me post-paid.

While gunsmithing at a S&W warranty depot, I saw split forcing cones fairly frequently. But keep in mind, these were almost always LE guns. I would also add that it is my opinion that the issue was not due to light bullets, as I have seen many that were split with heavier bullets; as was mine. It should also be noted that the issue did crop up on rare occasion with K frame .38 Specials; again, almost always LE guns.

The new M66’s are MUCH tougher revolvers and S&W no longer recommends limiting the use of magnum loads.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hand raised.

My very first handgun was a brand new S&W M19-6. The forcing cone gave up the ghost with a 158 grain JHP factory load (I wanna say it was a Remington), about 6 months into my ownership. S&W promptly fixed it and returned it to me post-paid.

While gunsmithing at a S&W warranty depot, I saw split forcing cones fairly frequently. But keep in mind, these were almost always LE guns. I would also add that it is my opinion that the issue was not due to light bullets, as I have seen many that were split with heavier bullets; as was mine. It should also be noted that the issue did crop up on rare occasion with K frame .38 Specials; again, almost always LE guns.

The new M66’s are MUCH tougher revolvers and S&W no longer recommends limiting the use of magnum loads.

Thank you, sir, for your informed opinion.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My brother has a 66 3" that is a S&W Performance Center gun: somewhat contoured frame; ported; beautifully tuned double action and of course, a great single action trigger pull; fancy stocks. I'm not sure what other enhancements, maybe flash chromed hammer and trigger. My other brother and I went halves on it as a present when he graduated law school. He hardly uses it. For some reason he prefers my SP 101 21/4". I guess I may as well say his SP 101 because I'll never get it back.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 7 S&W .357 MAG revolvers; 19 (4"), 27 (3.5"), 27 (5"), 66 (4"), 66 (5"), 520 (4"), and 620 (4"). I like the 4" 66, but the 4" 620 fits my hand better and I shoot it better than any of the others. I didn't think that I'd like the 7-shot 520 and 620, but the action seems smoother when shooting double action.

I got the 19 in 1970 and shot it a lot, but mostly with mild 38 Specials, as they were about 1/3 the price of .357 MAG factory loads. Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, trimmed the barrel on the 5" 66 from its original 6" and they tuned and reamed the forcing cones on 6 of the 7 revolvers, only the 3.5" 27 is still 100% original.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunzo

Newer, better, steel?

It's not the barrel socket

If you look at an old K frame, you’ll see the bottom of the barrel is shaved off at the forcing cone. Whereas the new ones do not have the barrel shaved off at the bottom. The barrel shank is full thickness on the new ones, and shaved on the older ones.
That flat exists to make room for the gas seal on the crane/cylinder. Really, the real work was done on the crane & gas seal to allow for more room for more barrel thickness at the forcing cone.

You are correct. I knew I should have added more info or clarified but a lazy typer I are. Thank you for the clarification.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey, you were on the right track. All the work they did was to make the barrel full thickness at the throat!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My 66 is my second fav revolver only to my 19. Both are 3" modified from "Other" length barrels that were original. The 19 only passes the 66 because it was done at the factory and has the target hammer and trigger.
But both are a pleasure to shoot and look great to my eye. Others have different opinions.
Enjoy yours if you go that way. K frame fan for .357 dia bullets. (But I wont turn down a N frame if thats whats close by.)

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
J
J
I have 2 66-4 2.5 excellent shooters also have a 686 4 inch also excellent shooter. I prefer the older smiths not a fan of the lock. But the new ones still shoot good from my experience

J
J
My 66-2 just feels right.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (270cowboy, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.