Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Checking in to see if there are any Contender folks that can help me with distinguishing a Type I vs Type II Contender barrel. Found a little info here and over on Graybeard, and best I can figure is the barrel engraving is on one line (Type II) vs two (Type I) - any help is appreciated on how to best determine between these two barrel types.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not familiar with type 1 or type 2. Do you mean G1 or G2?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
There are at least 2 different lettering lines on the original contender barrels (maybe more).
IIRC there also is a difference in lugs, one has a step, the other doesn't. Am talking the flat on bottom of lug, not the difference between single and two pc locking bolts.

So there may be two types of barrels having at least 2 different types of lettering.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
There are at least 2 different lettering lines on the original contender barrels (maybe more).
IIRC there also is a difference in lugs, one has a step, the other doesn't. Am talking the flat on bottom of lug, not the difference between single and two pc locking bolts.

So there may be two types of barrels having at least 2 different types of lettering.

Thanks hookeye, following up on your description on difference in lugs - you mean the following flat versus step in the lug photos below and if so do you recall which would be the Type I and Type II:

Attached Images
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Lucas1
I'm not familiar with type 1 or type 2. Do you mean G1 or G2?

Sorry Lucas1, I’m familiar with a G1 vs G2 Contender and how to tell the difference, I’m really trying to understand the difference between a type I vs Type II Contender barrel. I noticed there is a premium price difference in collectible octagon barrels between the two types, just trying to determine how to tell the difference between the two.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My NIB .223 stainless bbl has a stepped lug

I have forgotten the label differences on barrels. Looked into it way back when I had some octagon stuff.

Cant remember.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/24/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wonder if the boys at Match Grade Machine might know. Could be worth a phone call to ask.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Good point on MGM, May do that tomorrow to see what I can find out. I did reach out to Ed’s Contenders as well to see if he could help. Appreciate y’all chiming and helping here.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ed Kirkpatrick at Ed’s Contenders was kind enough to share the following info:

Type 1 barrels have the writing engraved on a single line - Type 2 barrels have the writing on 2 lines and a period after the n and h- both have a non-step flat lug.

Thanks to those of you who helped out earlier on the week..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by B52RadarNav

Type 1 barrels have the writing engraved on a single line - Type 2 barrels have the writing on 2 lines and a period after the n and h- both have a non-step flat lug.

That's good information. Is there a collectible preference for one over the other?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

That's good information. Is there a collectible preference for one over the other?

I’m still trying to determine that and if I can get more info will certainly share.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I noticed there is a premium price difference in collectible octagon barrels between the two types, just trying to determine how to tell the difference between the two.

By the price. laugh

I've always noticed a difference far more in the eyes of the sellers, than in the eyes of the buyers. wink

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Good info. Thanks

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.