Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BigNate Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've never have even considered coyotes a threat, but this young woman lost her life to coyotes.

I've always hunted about everything I could and have killed a pile of them, never crossed my mind that they could or would attack people.

Several were killed an tested. They were found to be healthy, well fed, and free of diseases.
When coyotes attack

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Link not working.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in the suburbs of Seattle.
Greater Seattle has a population of 4 million people.
NEXTDOOR is a website for interacting, er arguing, with neighbors.
Right now they are arguing about coyote attacks.
90% democrat, so it is dems arguing with dems.

In the last 2 weeks, our backyard camera has recorded:
Rabbits
Squirrels
Raccoons
cats
dogs
deer
coyotes

I have a friend 20 miles from Seattle, and his backyard camera picks up bobcat and bear

I have a brother 900 miles from Seattle in Montana, and he hunts coyotes with an airplane and a shotgun.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I kill every POS coyote
That I can

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 270cowboy
I kill every POS coyote
That I can

Amen

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But we’ve taken their land.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I live in the suburbs of Seattle.
Greater Seattle has a population of 4 million people.
NEXTDOOR is a website for interacting, er arguing, with neighbors.
Right now they are arguing about coyote attacks.
90% democrat, so it is dems arguing with dems.

In the last 2 weeks, our backyard camera has recorded:
Rabbits
Squirrels
Raccoons
cats
dogs
deer
coyotes

I have a friend 20 miles from Seattle, and his backyard camera picks up bobcat and bear

I have a brother 900 miles from Seattle in Montana, and he hunts coyotes with an airplane and a shotgun.

I'm at the 250 mile marker and north 20....we shoot coyotes non stop. They're endless.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was 2010. Time to forgive the coyotes. I have

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There were a lot of words in the article but it avoided tried and true methods of keeping predators at bay:
1) Never let them feel comfortable around humans. They are killers.
2) Never assign human traits to them. They are lower animals with no conscience.
3) Never feel sorry for them. They will never feel sorry for you.

I’m sure there are more. As far as wolves and coyotes are concerned, if they are within range shootem. The only ones allowed to live should be the ones that do not intentionally come within shooting range of humans.

Last edited by shootem; 01/22/22.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

B
BigNate Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I had not seen this story, and until this one, had only heard one story of a human being attacked and killed. It was a young boy going out to put livestock in the barn . He didn't come back to the house. The sheriff called it inconclusive but most thought it was a pack of coyotes.

City people seem to think they have great understanding of all things in nature. Just ask them a question. Must have been the Disney influence.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 19352012
That was 2010. Time to forgive the coyotes. I have

Grampa Jas Olsen, Sr reporting

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Some of those Northern Coyotes have been found to have wolf DNA. They have been found in the Eastern US also. They say they have different habits and calls than 100% coyotes.They tend to be bigger, too. There was a genetic study several years ago that found out the connection.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by reivertom
Some of those Northern Coyotes have been found to have wolf DNA. They have been found in the Eastern US also. They say they have different habits and calls than 100% coyotes.They tend to be bigger, too. There was a genetic study several years ago that found out the connection.

I weighed a South Carolina boy dog at 42 pounds. Have been told by a taxidermist he saw a 50 pounder from North Carolina.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reivertom

Yup, most of the coyotes here where i live are the big boys. Multi colored as well. Yiu can see a 60lb coyote. Brush coyote or as thr game commission calls them, eastern coyote, have interbred with wolves. They are much bigger than a normal coyote.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or perhaps coy-dogs.

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had 3 try to lure my dog out of the yard right after we moved into our new house. Most of the lots in the neighborhood were empty its not in city limits and I had a safe angle so grabbed my faux ti 223 ai. The one in closest saw me come out and took off running but made the mistake to turn and look back for a second about 300 yards out. I put a 75g amax though the top of his lungs.

You could see the daylight though the hole and the damn thing got back up and fought with the neighbors 2 pitbulls. In retrospect I should have shot the pitbulls too. I walk out to watch the show and took my 351pd 22 mag snubbing so neighbors wouldn't see the gun. I capped the coyote in the head with a gold dot and then loaded up and went to find the other coyotes.

Bb

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Think I'll break out the Weems in memorandum of Taylor Mitchell.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootem
There were a lot of words in the article but it avoided tried and true methods of keeping predators at bay:
1) Never let them feel comfortable around humans. They are killers.
2) Never assign human traits to them. They are lower animals with no conscience.
3) Never feel sorry for them. They will never feel sorry for you.

Read it again, the Biologists quoted in the article make essentially the same points you do. When predators lose their fear of humans, bad things always happen.

Interesting observation they made; in areas where bears were hunted they personally had experienced no problems, but in National Parks where bears were not hunted they had to climb trees to avoid bears ransacking their camps more than once.

Black bears are now common around NY City and in NJ. I am aware of two fatalities there; an infant taken from a baby carriage at a day camp and a guy chased and killed in a park in Northeast NJ.

It sucks, I used to spend a lot of time in the woods in that area back in high school, now bears are common, local laws do not allow me to go armed, IIRC even bear spray is illegal, so if you do run into a bear, the bear holds all the cards.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootem

Nate and Shootem, thanks for putting up this link.

I recall this horrific case, it was commented upon here.

The link does provide more specific details.

At the time it seemed people heard the young woman screaming but did nothing but call the Cops. I do not know the physical abilities or genders of the “middle-aged couple” who hurried away down the trail to get to a phone, but I am happy to note that four presumably young adults did rush to the source of the screaming and kept the two coyotes at bay.

Tragically the attack had been going on for twenty minutes by then, the girl had been partially consumed with tremendous blood loss. At least she lived to see her rescuers arrive and was with her mom when she passed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.