Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Years ago I did a calculation about how much energy is tied up in the rotation of the projectile. It was negligible compared to the linear component.

Fact for sure and certain.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Good to see you back Aces. I’ve always liked your thoughts and thoughtfulness on a lot of the stuff posted here

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Good to see you back Aces. I’ve always liked your thoughts and thoughtfulness on a lot of the stuff posted here

Thanks Nest, it’s good to be back. 👍. I’ve just been busy and focusing my (limited) attention elsewhere …. I do begin to miss the conversations and characters that this place is full of, lots of great guys here.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by navlav8r
That sounds like an editor changing the writer’s text.

I’ve always liked your contributions here but this one made me laugh because I immediately thought that exact same thing earlier when I saw this and again this evening but I definitely think you’re on to something ….great minds and all that. 😉

I don’t know nor have I ever had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Boddington but I’ve always liked his articles, which were some of the first ones I’d jump to when a new magazine arrived, and I’ve always respected him as a man. I would be very surprised if Mr. Boddington was confused about twist and stability. The above statement attributed to him does certainly sound like something an editor would write, “improved” to keep it simple for us readers to understand. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't pretend to know half of what Mr. Boddington knows about guns and hunting but bullet length should have been mentioned instead of weight. The statement would have still been confusing. Partitions for example can be quite heavy for a relatively short length. I am betting he really did not mean what was printed or he was misquoted

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Lots of people get confused easily especially when it comes to fast twist slow twist heavy bullets slow bullets light bullets fast bullets.....
They even get really confused when it comes to slow burning powders fast burning powders especially when generally slow burning make faster velocities and fast burning powders make slower velocities if you use an appropriate size cases. And unless they're not talking about high pressures and low pressures with high speeds and slow speeds LOL

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by navlav8r
That sounds like an editor changing the writer’s text.

I’ve always liked your contributions here but this one made me laugh because I immediately thought that exact same thing earlier when I saw this and again this evening but I definitely think you’re on to something ….great minds and all that. 😉

I don’t know nor have I ever had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Boddington but I’ve always liked his articles, which were some of the first ones I’d jump to when a new magazine arrived, and I’ve always respected him as a man. I would be very surprised if Mr. Boddington was confused about twist and stability. The above statement attributed to him does certainly sound like something an editor would write, “improved” to keep it simple for us readers to understand. 😂

I've always enjoyed his writing. But I don't recall him ever dealing in reloading, gun work etc... to me, IIRC, the articles are always good reads about good hunts.

You can be a writer and not know a lot about mechanics. Not saying this is the case. But could be. And its interesting why an editor would flip that, if so they evidently have no clue between arse hole and ground

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have no idea whether this "recent" quote (from over a decade ago) was printed as Craig wrote it, or modified by an editor--but have seen editors make some really funky changes over the years.

Do know that Craig writes a LOT of articles and books, and while he knows quite a bit about rifles some details can occasionally get a little off, partly due to sheer volume. I recently wrote the foreword for his latest book about hunting-rifle cartridges, so got to read many of the pre-publication chapters. Found a couple of minor errors, and sent the editor/publisher my notes on 'em. Can't recall one of them, but the other occurred when Craig discussed the .220 Swift, saying it was based on the "semi-rimmed" 6mm Lee Navy case.

I pointed out to the editor/publisher that the 6mm LN case was NOT semi-rimmed, but "rimless." Winchester made the rim slightly larger when developing the .220 case, so it would fit the Model 70's bolt face, turning the Swift into a semi-rimmed round.

The publisher wanted to argue about this, saying there was still some debate, citing an Internet site. I said there is no debate, except when Internet sites want some for click-bait. I knew this for certain about the 6mm LN I am one of the relatively few gun writers who's owned one of the rifles, as well as some original ammunition, along with Eugene Myzkowski's fine book on the Lee Navys, researched partly using original government records. The editor/publisher still wanted to argue, so I offered to send him some photos of my actual 6mm Lee Navy cases, whereupon he finally believed me.

All of which is an example potential problems with assumptions by both authors and editors.

Might also note that every writer should have anything so be published by at least one editor, even editors who write for publication.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe CB just had a brain fart when he wrote that.No one is perfect(besides me)!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or maybe the editor had a brain-fart--which is what I pointed out a few posts ago.

We've already had a recent thread where examples of an editor VASTLY changed Finn Aagaard's some of his writing in in his otherwise great book AAGARD'S AFRICA.

One of the reasons Jack O'Connor left OUTDOOR LIFE was a new, young editor-in-chief who had very little hunting experience, and apparently even less with the English language.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by rost495
Reminds me of a suit. Always has. He always is cordial. Was around him a few weeks ago. All of his answers sounded political to me. I'd have not agreed with a few things some of the people were saying to him. But if the goal is sales and profit...

Well, he did make General.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
Lots of people get confused easily especially when it comes to fast twist slow twist heavy bullets slow bullets light bullets fast bullets.....
They even get really confused when it comes to slow burning powders fast burning powders especially when generally slow burning make faster velocities and fast burning powders make slower velocities if you use an appropriate size cases. And unless they're not talking about high pressures and low pressures with high speeds and slow speeds LOL

Ignore all that stuff and shoot a few groups. If the bullets go into a reasonable perimeter, it's "damn the torpedos- full speed ahead!".

The rest is just politics. :

That means it's too confusing for my poor brain, so I just don't deal with it. Ignorance CAN be bliss. smile

Last edited by las; 01/24/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Speaking of getting All Twisted Up About Not That Much At All :

Anyone know if CB is working on American Hunting Rifles 3 ?

2 is out of print, 1 is out of date, and I’d like the mate to my copy of Safari Rifles 2.
Usually his editors keep things on track. This decades old bobble is understandable given the potential complexity of that twist topic.

🥴

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
He was working on one when we hunted with him this past Dec. Due date was the 14th of Dec.
That may have been the book JB refered too above.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ross Seyfried, John Barsness, Craig Boddington…..
Some of the best……

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
523 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.