24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the poor man's Harrell (Culver) measure, Lyman 55 and it measures stick and ball powders very well.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by arky65
I've, been impressed with the Lyman Brass Smith, with ball and flake type powders.

It is not quite as consistent as the Lee with stick powders, but seems to be getting better as I use it with stick powders.

YMMV

That statement is very good. My uni-flow only gets used with pistol powders and yes I I have the baffle. Good unit. The Hornady is all I use for rifle and stick powders. They don’t make a baffle as far as I know but I had a guy make one. I even had to replace the powder hopper a few years back due to age. After 30+ years of using it I know all the little quirks.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RiverRider
You can get a baffle for the Uniflow and it helps with consistent charge weight. Well worth the 8 or 10 bucks. I don't know whether there's a baffle available for the Hornady.

I made my own baffles for my Uniflows from an aluminum beer can. Later on from proper baffles when I bought a bunch of reloading stuff at a yard sale. The store bought type didn't work any better than my home made.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
No that price point isn’t needed. I get drop and load consistently with both a uni flow and a Hornady deluxe measure bought in the mid 80’s. Ball powders are easy.

You got that right. Ball powders drop like water out of my uniflow. No need to get fancy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pullit
I will admit after I got a RCBS Chargemaster, I don't use a powder measure much anymore

Dropping with a powder measure is significantly faster and very accurate with ball powders. A chargemaster would be a waste of time and money for this application.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I will admit after I got a RCBS Chargemaster, I don't use a powder measure much anymore

Dropping with a powder measure is significantly faster and very accurate with ball powders. A chargemaster would be a waste of time and money for this application.

Agree 100%. Sphericals meter beautifully in my Uniflow. So do some of the finer granulated extruded powders like Benchmark, LT32, and maybe some others. Using a Chargemaster for those powders seems downright silly to me...I think the Uniflow would drop more uniform charges with these powders than the Chargemaster can. Besides, one thing I like about using a measure like a Uniflow is the ability to use quarter-grain increments for small cartridges.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Agree 100%. Sphericals meter beautifully in my Uniflow. So do some of the finer granulated extruded powders like Benchmark, LT32, and maybe some others. Using a Chargemaster for those powders seems downright silly to me...I think the Uniflow would drop more uniform charges with these powders than the Chargemaster can. Besides, one thing I like about using a measure like a Uniflow is the ability to use quarter-grain increments for small cartridges.

I have both a good powder measure and a Chargemaster. The Charge master only gets used with stick powders.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I use the Chargemaster, by the time I seat the bullet the next charge is done. Never timed it but it seems fast enough for me.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

+1

lefty

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stick powders weren’t meant to be metered.

Harrell’s for ball powder.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe that statement is too broad. There are a number of stick powders that meter quite well. Even some old school long grained ones like IMR 3031 and 4064 meter well enough to produce very good ammunition for my herd of 308 Winchester chambered rifles.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Lee Deluxe Perfect measure is much better with ball powder.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was going to get the Uniflow after this thread but it appears to be discontinued. Considered the Hornady L-N-L, but then would want/need the pistol drum and stand which gets $$$. It also seems a little complex/gimmicky. Read up on the Lyman Brass Smith and it gets great reviews. All these measures operate on the same principal so am just going to give the Lyman a try for ball powders. I just hope it does well with Lil Gun and Tight Group as I use these for subsonic loads at lower charge weights.

My pair of Lee Perfect's will still get plenty of use with stick powders. Thanks for the responses.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djb
I was going to get the Uniflow after this thread but it appears to be discontinued. Considered the Hornady L-N-L, but then would want/need the pistol drum and stand which gets $$$. It also seems a little complex/gimmicky. Read up on the Lyman Brass Smith and it gets great reviews. All these measures operate on the same principal so am just going to give the Lyman a try for ball powders. I just hope it does well with Lil Gun and Tight Group as I use these for subsonic loads at lower charge weights.

My pair of Lee Perfect's will still get plenty of use with stick powders. Thanks for the responses.

It’s the Uniflow 3 now. It’s available and actually sounds easier than the original.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-po.../uniflow-powder-measure-iii/16-9016.html

New on the UPM-III is the ability to use one metering cylinder and rotor for both rifle and pistol to throw charges from 0.5 grains to 95 grains. The new threaded hopper makes disassembly for cleaning quick and easy.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I have both a good powder measure and a Chargemaster. The Charge master only gets used with stick powders.

That's where I would use the Chargemaster. I can see the usefulness there. But with ball powder, what the op is inquiring about? Just drop and go with a powder measure. Its extremely accurate and quick. Not that I'm trying to skimp on a process, but when you have a lot to load, it just makes sense. It seems like some guys like complicating things here, or giving others bad advice. I'll load over 300/hr doing it this way. That includes some 308w as well.. Accuracy of the loads do not suffer either. Newbies may not know this.

BSA MAGA
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks Swifty. I'll check it out. I was only finding competition or quick change models when searching Midsouth, Midway etc.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djb
Thanks Swifty. I'll check it out. I was only finding competition or quick change models when searching Midsouth, Midway etc.

If you are talking the lock n load measure, it has standard threads to be used without the quick connect bushing.

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That's where I would use the Chargemaster. I can see the usefulness there. But with ball powder, what the op is inquiring about? Just drop and go with a powder measure. Its extremely accurate and quick. Not that I'm trying to skimp on a process, but when you have a lot to load, it just makes sense. It seems like some guys like complicating things here, or giving others bad advice. I'll load over 300/hr doing it this way. That includes some 308w as well.. Accuracy of the loads do not suffer either. Newbies may not know this.

If I had enough mad money I might go the electronic route. But H4350 and H4831SC are about the most coarse powders I load and them only for 10 or 20 hunting hunting or sight checking rounds. You’re right about drop-n-go powdering. Once I get the powder drop dialed in I can hold a tray of 80 pistol or small to medium rifle brass under the drop tube and run that sucker. Weigh a throw after each tray to confirm and boogie on.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 77 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.