J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
DOT medical card- - - -gotta have one to drive anything commercial over 25K pound gross weight.

26,000. Keep my 3 dump trucks registered at 25,900lb.

If I was considering something like you’re describing, I’d be more apt to get into hotshot hauling. Big money in transportation/shipping right now. Grab a Ram 3500-5500 with a steel flat bed/gooseneck and a trailer and go see the country.
Either that or a small (9yd) dumpster set up and rent to contractors and homeowners.
Being that you’ve worked IT jobs apparently, you’ll probably be shocked when you realize driving a truck isn’t exactly gravy.

Just an fyi, and I'd bet you know this but I know guys that do that too, but it won't help you if you are in an accident.... State troopers go by how the truck was built, not how it is registered and according to them you have to be licensed to drive it the way it was built.... If the plate in the door jamb says 32k, you better be licensed to drive a 32k truck.

GMC 6500
Chevrolet 4500
International 4700 x 2

I’m good on GVWR ratings. Hauled way more than 26,000 on all of them.
If I could find a couple free weeks I’d have my CDL class A’s.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drove a '64 Chevy C 60 dump for 15 years ('71 to '86). 348 V8, 5/2 set up. Hydra Vac brakes. Builder/Developer I worked for, bought it new. Pulled a 10 ton tag along behind it to move our JD 450D track loader and backhoe. Licensed for an 8 ton payload, bed was big enough could fetch 10 tons of stone with no problem, if I never got caught? Truck was still going strong when he retired in'86. All I ever had done to it, was a valve job/timing chain around '84.

Had a PA Class III license, then went to a Class A CDL when they came about. Also drove dumps with air brakes now and then, after getting the CDL.

Mostly hauled fill (shale), topsoil and limestone from the quarry, in the C 60 for small jobs. Bigger quantities of stone, we just ordered it hauled in with tri axles..A few small contractors here still use single axle dumps in the 26,000 GVW class..

Might be some specialty jobs in some areas for smaller dumps, but they're few and far between around here.Most I see on the roads are landscapers and tree people. My experience with them is limited. Most can't haul much and the used ones are usually junk. Buddy has an old Ford F550 diesel with an 8' bed. I've used that old clunker and it can max out at about four tons.

You wanta make a living with a dump truck, that usually means getting a tri axle.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
DOT medical card- - - -gotta have one to drive anything commercial over 25K pound gross weight.

17k in Ohio. Not sure about other states but PA is 26k

You got all kind of stuff confused.
CDL regs are anything over 26k.

A medical card is needed for commercial work.
Buddy got pinched driving a non CDL poop truck.
Still needed a med card.

OP if you don't know exactly what work you are going to do,
If you can't buy a solid truck, if you can't work on it,
If you have to come here for advice on trucking,
you will likely get an expensive lesson.

I've seen a lot of guys who bought trucks (newer and old)
who knew the business and could work on them,
lose their ass.

Was given some solid advice when I was thinking about buying a semi.
"You need $10k in cash, free to help you over whatever pops up"

I'll add my advice from watching others.
"Always, always, always pay the IRS first. Never, ever, hold back a quarterly
if money is short!)

If it don't work, if you lose your shirt, you can give a truck back.
You can file bankruptcy, but the one debt that will follow you to the grave,
with interest rates that make credit cards look like a freebie, is the IRS!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
If you get a small dump truck,

Also gotta have a .38 special snub nose.....

In case you run into trouble at the redlights.

38Souper...

On da seat, mofo…

And don’t choke on yo breakfast burrito

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I applaud the idea of still hustling...

Maybe a box truck for moving would be easier... Facebook and Craigslist ads like this.

"Moving truck and driver for hire $250 per day (First 20 miles free, $1 per mile over 20 miles). Loading is on you... I only drive."

Charge them $50-$100 per day that the truck stays full (i.e. rolling mini-storage).

Be careful of bums and ghettos.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A lawn mowing service would pay more

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Not looking to make a killing guys, just bored and want to work and make some extra cash and keep busy.
Thanks for the great ideas, advice and comments.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
i’ve been around this type of trucking for 25 years…. i can say with all honesty, if you weren’t raised around it or directly involved with trucking just stay away. The only money to be made is in the “grey” areas …if you don’t know the regs front to back, where to get deals on maintenance, how to get around certain requirements, etc. you are just going to hemorrhage money.

if i were to suggest something, maybe find yourself a nice dually pick up and get set up with the RV dealers, horse trailer dealers, etc. They are always looking for someone to move a fifth wheel or horse trailer to another dealer or deliver to a customer, etc. Still have some regs to follow and insurance but way less cutthroat than construction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some states, like Idaho, do not require a medical card with a CDL for intra-state work. No medical card needed unless interstate over 10K lbs gross.

If you need to get a CDL, starting in February, the Feds will now make you take a 200 hr plus driving course at an accredited school. Which, if you hadn't guessed it, ain't exactly cheap.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Would be a lot easier to just give your money away, why work at it?

Phil

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dutch
Some states, like Idaho, do not require a medical card with a CDL for intra-state work. No medical card needed unless interstate over 10K lbs gross.

If you need to get a CDL, starting in February, the Feds will now make you take a 200 hr plus driving course at an accredited school. Which, if you hadn't guessed it, ain't exactly cheap.

It's my understanding name have give up or decided to delay or whatever the 200 hour deal. As far as interstate and intrastate driving a medical cards there's so much confusion on all that. A person just needs to get a medical card and file it as interstate and it covers everything.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Around here a few guys have small trucks for their own use. But mostly real trucks Peterbilt ,Mack, Kenworth, Volvo and such . 60,000 is really light load a full 80,000 is pretty normal 100,000 with some trucks is pretty common.
Small dump trucks have a place in private business for landscaping maybe small asphalt stuff like driveways and what have you.

Last edited by ldholton; 01/23/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
What about landscaping or mowing lawns? Got any messicans where you live?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
never underestimate the power of the 24hcf to crush a mans dreams into a pasty pulp. lol

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
lol. Shoulda bought a Leupold

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I know a guy with an f350 and a gooseneck that does nothing but deliver farm equipment for a local dealer. He does well. Usually never gone more than one night.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Dutch

It's my understanding name have give up or decided to delay or whatever the 200 hour deal. As far as interstate and intrastate driving a medical cards there's so much confusion on all that. A person just needs to get a medical card and file it as interstate and it covers everything.

The rule implementation was delayed from February 7, 2020 to February 7 2022.

There's nothing confusing about the rules regarding medical cards. Either you need one, or you don't. I don't when driving intra-state. When the new vision rules go into effect, I'll get mine, but until then, I'm a intra state driver in full compliance with the law.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Pickup truck and a large dump trailer. Make good money and the overhead is minimal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
Pickup truck and a large dump trailer. Make good money and the overhead is minimal.

If you live near a city, and don't mind working some, this might
be better than one would think. Always get 1/2 your money after loading.
Cash only, never buy your gas on paper.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.