Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Quite awhile back I posted a thread about wanting a buffalo hunt.. This past fall I had a lot of health problems and decided I really could not do it, as they would gut/skin and quarter one and put it in my truck. I had someone to put it in a cooler and age it, but then the processing was more than I could handle.

I figured I have shot enough big game, that I really didn't need to kill anything else. I did not want the hide and head as I had no place to put it. So I bought one. The ranch delivered it to a processor, that cut, vacuum wrapped, and froze it and. The ranch picked it up where I could go back to the ranch and pick it up.

Live weight on a 2 year old cow as about 1000pounds, hanging weight was 560 pounds and I received about 350 ponds of bone in meat which is what the ranch told me I would get yield wise.

I want to give a big shout out to Prairie Ridge Buffalo ranch near Limon, Colorado.Good people to work with and they did everything they promised.

My 22 cubic foot freezer is almost full and meat is delicious. The buffalo was finished out on sunflower seeds and grain

I might be able to do some eastern CO deer or antelope hunts, but my elk hunting might be done I think. I will put in for ML cow tag and see how summer treats me.As it is I have more than enough meat for 3+ years.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/23/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wows sorry to hear about your health problems.. I have been having a few but nothing serious. Best of lucK..

Molon Labe
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That is a lot of meat!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Alot of meat, but dam good! I shot one on a farm one year, same as you 2 year old cow! Enjoy the good eating Vince!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on filling the freezer. I’ve never had anything but a Buffalo burger but I’d love to fill the freezer with one. I can’t think it’d be anything but great.

Semper Fi
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I looked into a buff hunt after reading your previous posting. It has been on my "possibly some
day" bucket list for a while.
But the cost and what would I do with all that meat issue kinda cooled down the fever.

Good for you on getting all that meat and I understand the decline in hunting capabilities over time.
There used to be a buff meat outlet in the area, but I think it is gone now.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry to hear about your health but sounds like you are seat meat wise for some time.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, to me the top 3 are moose, elk & Buffalo, as far as meat goes. I’ve thought about one of those ranch hunts, yes I know, not a ‘real’ hunt, but you get the great meat. One in MO offers a handful of hunts, never really priced one though.

We have a Buffalo farm not far away, I stop by at times for a few steaks. They are always a special treat, nothing goes to waste, any fat or grizzle goes to the dog.

That’s a great supply for your freezer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Quite awhile back I posted a thread about wanting a buffalo hunt.. This past fall I had a lot of health problems and decided I really could not do it, as they would gut/skin and quarter one and put it in my truck. I had someone to put it in a cooler and age it, but then the processing was more than I could handle.

I figured I have shot enough big game, that I really didn't need to kill anything else. I did not want the hide and head as I had no place to put it. So I bought one. The ranch delivered it to a processor, that cut, vacuum wrapped, and froze it and. The ranch picked it up where I could go back to the ranch and pick it up.

Live weight on a 2 year old cow as about 1000pounds, hanging weight was 560 pounds and I received about 350 ponds of bone in meat which is what the ranch told me I would get yield wise.

I want to give a big shout out to Prairie Ridge Buffalo ranch near Limon, Colorado.Good people to work with and they did everything they promised.

My 22 cubic foot freezer is almost full and meat is delicious. The buffalo was finished out on sunflower seeds and grain

I might be able to do some eastern CO deer or antelope hunts, but my elk hunting might be done I think. I will put in for ML cow tag and see how summer treats me.As it is I have more than enough meat for 3+ years.

What did that run you price wise? Just wondering how it compares to the price of beef.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

What did that run you price wise? Just wondering how it compares to the price of beef.

I could not compare to beef because I have not bought any for a long time. For the weights I gave,it cost me about $3250. for the 350 pounds.So that is about $9.50/pound for everything from ground to T-bone/rib eye.

If you want to hunt one in a controlled hunt out in the pasture, (which is really not a hunt) it runs about $3600. It depends if it is a cow, a young bull or older bigger bull, how it is cut up, and how much fat/bone is trimmed. I had them do standard cuts as you would a beef and10% fat in the ground You get to keep head and hide.
Taste is about 1/2 way between beef and elk

Probably cheaper than what a nonresident pays for an elk hunt but you get more meat ,but more expensive than beef if you can buy directly from a rancher

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never had Buffalo, heard it is good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several years ago I shot an old bull on a management hunt on Turner's Flying D ranch near here. They were able to drive a tractor up to it, gutted it, and put it into the back of my truck. I then drove it to a local meat marked where they skinned, quartered and washed it still in the back of my truck, then trolleyed it into a cooler. I asked them to cut the hump and loins into 1-2 pound roasts (without bones) and make everything else into 1 1/2 pound packages of burger.

A couple of weeks later the meat shop called that my buffalo was ready, so I picked 490 pounds of burger and another box of steaks/roasts. The burger was great any way that I cooked it, but when we BBQ'd the first roast, it looked great, smelled great, and tasted great, but we couldn't chew it. So I ground up all of the remaining steaks and roasts and made it into jerky, that tasted great.

I also had a shoulder mount of him, so now I can "look him in the eye" every time I go out my door.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by buffybr; 02/25/22.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Yea.they warned me about taking an old bull.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This young bull was taken in South Dakota and the meat was mighty tasty. I took home a little over 300# of assorted meat cuts. I especially wanted to try the tongue. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
This young bull was taken in South Dakota and the meat was mighty tasty. I took home a little over 300# of assorted meat cuts. I especially wanted to try the tongue. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Young Bull" being the operative words .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (35, 44mc, 1eyedmule, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.