Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not beautifully blued, more of a matte finish, Bolt bent satisfactorily, drilled and tapped correctly, Timney featherweight installed and presently has a 8MM barrel that looks like it would shoot okay but not really interested in it.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
$250-$350.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
So it is priced accordingly. Do I really need another M98? Only have a 308, 270, 35 Whelen and a 7x57........

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of Course you do!!

Hmmmphh...fellow comes on here trying to get us to talk him out of a new gun ha, ha, ha

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Of Course you do!!

Hmmmphh...fellow comes on here trying to get us to talk him out of a new gun ha, ha, ha

Hah thought I came to the right place. I guess I could shoot it as an 8x57 some, I have some brass and dies. Or if the barrel really shoots I could have it rechambered to 8mm 06. Or maybe barrel it to a fast twist 6MM Remington. Hmmmm

Dog I rescued in January

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Buy it, the price is right . Bottom metal included ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My vote is 22-250

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Craigster

Well I offered the guy his asking price and I haven't heard back from him. Yes complete barreled action.

Dog I rescued in January

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Craigster

Well I offered the guy his asking price and I haven't heard back from him. Yes complete barreled action.

What is his asking price?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
$275.

Dog I rescued in January

IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any non-jacked up 98 action is worth that theses dyas, the triiger is a bonus.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The only worse money pit than a boat is a very nice Model 98 Mauser.

And I love ‘em!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Of Course you do!!

Hah thought I came to the right place. I guess I could shoot it as an 8x57 some, I have some brass and dies. Or if the barrel really shoots I could have it rechambered to 8mm 06. Or maybe barrel it to a fast twist 6MM Remington. Hmmmm

An obvious choice. Given your lineup, I also detect a major hole in your battery: one that can only be filled by a 9.3x62. Hopefully this is a BOGO sale? LOL

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Well, I'm more than a bit shocked! Primarily in context of members here willing to venture opinions with so little info afforded. My MO of decades as buyer, is the assumption that sellers with rifle in hand, time and opportunity to investigate it. Empowered capability to do a self-interest 'credible' job of describing it for sale. Where no pix and substantial information voids as per the O/Ps description related here, Red flags fluttering 2iw3wand move on! A huge buyer beware

Low price ONE attractive element. But here hardly an element on which to 'ping' in exclusion of all the other info voids! I'd tend to fill in obvious relevant blanks with least attractive contingencies conjurable!
For instance some of the Chinese Arsenal 98 actions. The single specimen I posses acquired for peanuts to harvest a decent commercial Oberndorf Mauser bolt reflecting pear shaped bolt handle. I wouldn't even want to sell this to anyone. That as viewing such a specimen, further conjuring which end of the rifle most lethal!

The fact of a Timney barrel, "brand ID recognition, only recommendation as seller flushing out balance of relevant information. (I don't even see the chambering/twist rate listed!) All sorts of "horror guns" that novices occasionally present for evaluation in Forums. As evaluating, some discomfort balancing often new owner hopeful expectations. Set against the horror stories. What to say, how frank an assessment to offer?

The instant matter, my 'eval' as hazarding lottery ticket odds against achieving best "win" scenario as avoiding any horror story scenario among prospective outcomes!

Finally... Excuse me guys, no intent to demean, but the generic term "mauser" and some components to be perhaps recommended by brand, here yet 'hovering' perspective of Franken-gun potential. Hardly to recommend mediocre win against great odds! against substantial odds!

I remain completely skeptical concerning many of the responses.
Just my necessarily frank "take"!
Best!
John

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by iskra
Well, I'm more than a bit shocked! Primarily in context of members here willing to venture opinions with so little info afforded. My MO of decades as buyer, is the assumption that sellers with rifle in hand, time and opportunity to investigate it. Empowered capability to do a self-interest 'credible' job of describing it for sale. Where no pix and substantial information voids as per the O/Ps description related here, Red flags fluttering 2iw3wand move on! A huge buyer beware

Low price ONE attractive element. But here hardly an element on which to 'ping' in exclusion of all the other info voids! I'd tend to fill in obvious relevant blanks with least attractive contingencies conjurable!
For instance some of the Chinese Arsenal 98 actions. The single specimen I posses acquired for peanuts to harvest a decent commercial Oberndorf Mauser bolt reflecting pear shaped bolt handle. I wouldn't even want to sell this to anyone. That as viewing such a specimen, further conjuring which end of the rifle most lethal!

The fact of a Timney barrel, "brand ID recognition, only recommendation as seller flushing out balance of relevant information. (I don't even see the chambering/twist rate listed!) All sorts of "horror guns" that novices occasionally present for evaluation in Forums. As evaluating, some discomfort balancing often new owner hopeful expectations. Set against the horror stories. What to say, how frank an assessment to offer?

The instant matter, my 'eval' as hazarding lottery ticket odds against achieving best "win" scenario as avoiding any horror story scenario among prospective outcomes!

Finally... Excuse me guys, no intent to demean, but the generic term "mauser" and some components to be perhaps recommended by brand, here yet 'hovering' perspective of Franken-gun potential. Hardly to recommend mediocre win against great odds! against substantial odds!

I remain completely skeptical concerning many of the responses.
Just my necessarily frank "take"!
Best!
John

My frank "take" ? I think you like to hear yourself talk. Do you know more about the rifle than the buyer does ?

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-bloviation-1689029

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was the "Timney Barrel" the cinched the deal for me. One of a kind fer shure!

I have to agree with Craigster! I think John can't help himself and feels compelled to add to conversations that are out of his area of expertise.

OP stated in his post, "M98, Bolt bent satisfactorily, drilled and tapped correctly, Timney featherweight installed and presently has a 8MM barrel that looks like it would shoot okay but not really interested in it."

So, in essence, he is asking the worth of a 98 action with a $100 Timney trigger. Then states asking price is $275. My succinct answer with misspellings corrected, "Any non-jacked up 98 action is worth that these days, the trigger is a bonus." Absent a hands on inspection, we only have the OP's assessment that the bent bolt and Drill & Tap are done correctly and satisfactorily. Depending on locale, the gunsmithing alone is worth a $175, add in the $100 trigger, and the OP is getting the Action for free.. Barrel is of no concern to him. What the heck else is there to know? Any further assessment would require tear down.

Last edited by z1r; 01/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by iskra
Well, I'm more than a bit shocked! Primarily in context of members here willing to venture opinions with so little info afforded.

Boy, I'll say there's very little info here. I didn't even know Timney MADE barrels. crazy

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
( " I don't even see the chambering/twist rate listed! " )

The OP clearly stated the barrel was 8mm.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just about any complete action is worth this money. Has anybody priced a savage or Remington action? I'm sorry but they start at $500 and go up from there. I am looking but around here "pickins is slim"

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well the fugger tells me he has sold it and if the deal falls through he will get back to me. Sounds like he is crawfishing on the deal to me. Timney Featherwieght;

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006426155

Dog I rescued in January

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.