Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I live in NE Wyoming, its high desert and not a lot for waterfowl. I normally run a modified choke in my guns and shoot steel shot when I jump shoot ducks off the bends of the creeks. Now, I am going to some fields with an outfitter to shoot canadian geese. We will be in an a-frame blind. I will take a pair of Binelli shotguns with me. I will take my M2 and my first gen (HK marked) Super Black Eagle. I bought this gun used about 10 years ago and I do not think I have ever fired it. I intend to shoot it primarily, but will bring the other in case it doesnt function right. What choke would you all recommend for shooting geese. I think I have steel BB and Steel 2 shot in the basement. Maybe even a box of 3.5" for the SBE.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
BBs, #2, even #3 have all worked for me this season on Westerns, Cacklers, Taverner's, etc.
30" barrel, MOD choke, 3".

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always carry chokes with me. If birds are working good and decoying close, I may use a more open choke. If the birds are just giving passing shots, I usually change to a tighter choke.
If I could only take one choke, Modified would be it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by pullit
I always carry chokes with me. If birds are working good and decoying close, I may use a more open choke. If the birds are just giving passing shots, I usually change to a tighter choke.
If I could only take one choke, Modified would be it.

I have a series of factory chokes that came with some of my binelli rifles. I could easily bring them along I guess. I was considering the purchase of a good aftermarket choke for the gun. Anybody have any recommendations for a good one? Patternaster? Cremator?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Believe it or not, Tru-Lock chokes have patterned very well for me but it also depends on the shell and shot size that you are using.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’d roll with a mid range Patternmaster if you can find one. Combine that with some BBS and you should be good.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
With extended chokes, you can tighten up some, but just running the modified, rule of thumb would typically be that larger shot patterns tighter, until you get past a certain point, then BBs might show blown patterns, while 2s are still a nice pattern. You can’t know, (but only guess) without some pattern work. George Turlock (Trulock) makes excellent tubes, as does Rob Robert’s, Mueller, Briley, and others. You really have to pattern Benelli and Beretta guns to verify POI and patterning vs constriction, as their barrels are notorious for varied specs in bore diameter at the threads from gun to gun. If no time, I’d just load up with #2s through a modified tube, and roll. All the guides provide for geese in Canada was #2s, and a modified steel (IM to full lead) pattern worked just fine.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
With extended chokes, you can tighten up some, but just running the modified, rule of thumb would typically be that larger shot patterns tighter, until you get past a certain point, then BBs might show blown patterns, while 2s are still a nice pattern. You can’t know, (but only guess) without some pattern work. George Turlock (Trulock) makes excellent tubes, as does Rob Robert’s, Mueller, Briley, and others. You really have to pattern Benelli and Beretta guns to verify POI and patterning vs constriction, as their barrels are notorious for varied specs in bore diameter at the threads from gun to gun. If no time, I’d just load up with #2s through a modified tube, and roll. All the guides provide for geese in Canada was #2s, and a modified steel (IM to full lead) pattern worked just fine.

Sounds good. No time for sure... probably before next year though. This trip I will just run with the modified.

Thanks all.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Pattern your particular gun. Guns have their own personality.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I did find that when I changed shells my chokes also had to change. I ran Hevi Shot duplex steel and Hevi shot mix for years, then they priced themselves out of market for me. I switched to Black Cloud and had to open my chokes just a little.
In my Beretta Extrema, I am using Rhino chokes and they pattern the BC great.

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have been using a Benelli H&K SBE since the early 1990's. I've been killing geese and ducks all these years both in Michigan as well as Canada. I never found that 31/2 " shells kill any better than 3" for geese. I tried all kinds of steel as well as Hevi shot and bismuth and find that they all kill well for me. The last 5 years I bought a Benellli camo M2 and its my favorite now. I been using it with a Cremator MR range choke in it. I shoot the regular blue box Federal 3" #1 steel 1 1/4 oz. for geese and it kills big Canada honkers out to 40 + yards with no problems. They are very inexpensive compared to other brands. I shoot #3 and #2 for ducks and they work great with the same choke. I take about 70 geese and about 40 ducks (mallards and woodies) a year at my friend's small property with a pond. Just me and my dog. It's only 20 minutes from my house. It's great being retired now. Good luck to you.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by gumfighter
I have been using a Benelli H&K SBE since the early 1990's. I've been killing geese and ducks all these years both in Michigan as well as Canada. I never found that 31/2 " shells kill any better than 3" for geese. I tried all kinds of steel as well as Hevi shot and bismuth and find that they all kill well for me. The last 5 years I bought a Benellli camo M2 and its my favorite now. I been using it with a Cremator MR range choke in it. I shoot the regular blue box Federal 3" #1 steel 1 1/4 oz. for geese and it kills big Canada honkers out to 40 + yards with no problems. They are very inexpensive compared to other brands. I shoot #3 and #2 for ducks and they work great with the same choke. I take about 70 geese and about 40 ducks (mallards and woodies) a year at my friend's small property with a pond. Just me and my dog. It's only 20 minutes from my house. It's great being retired now. Good luck to you.

Love your choice in guns, those are the same two guns I am taking with me on my one day trip. My camo Binelli M2 with a 26" barrel has been my favorite shotgun for a decade. That is why the SBE HK that I bought used, just sits in the safe since I bought it. I need to get a plug for it, or make one. It holds 3 in the magazine right now.... Gives me a task before I head out tomorrow.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Rogers has some great deals on chokes.

HEVISHOT
HEVI-SHOT 12 GAUGE HEVI-13 Turkey Choke Tube System $20

LINK...............

Chokes

Last edited by moreammoplz; 01/21/22.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pattern your guns with the factory chokes first. I’ll bet you’ll get nice deadly patterns at 35 yards with ic or mod. IMO folks worry too much about ultra long range patterns when they should be thinking about killing ALL the birds they get at 20-30 yards. A good outfitter should be able to put plenty of geese this close. Use the extra money for more practice this summer. Shooting skill trumps all else. Oh yea, give those 3 1/2 in shells away. Preferably to a Democrat.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't shoot 3.5" either. If I can't do it with 3" I most likely should not be shooting anyway

N
N
Modified is a safe factory choke. I wouldn't advise shooting something tight like a factory full because steel doesn't give like lead does. Aftermarket waterfowl chokes do come in full and extra full(steel) but aren't as tight a factory full(for lead).

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I agree with nethewild. For steel you really should use a modified for all distance or IC for close in. I've been shooting bismuth, which performs better with a tighter choke. So, shot type is more of a determinant in which choke to use. I shoot benellis and found carlson MR (steel) /LR (bismuth) chokes performed well for me. Most important, as someone mentioned pattern your gun first with the factory chokes. There's a good chance they'll perform well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
shooting big steel like BBS i'd choose nothing tighter than a light modified

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,929
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.