Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To answer a few questions:
Bought used about 20 years ago. It is a NY rifle.
Been through the pre flight and Montana Tinkering threads as well as rebedding.
Would rebore but looking to go smaller with this, leaning towards a 7-08 since I don't have one.
Knock Leupolds all you want but these scopes have been on other rifles where they were proven and have gone on to others where they still work. Same with mounts.
As stated I have been tinkering with this for about 15 years and after exhausting anything I could think of to do wanted to get any other easy/cheap suggestions before buying a new barrel.
Don't remember if I had ever run the borescope down this tube before but after doing it realized the barrel is crap. The pics are just a few representative shots, the bore looks like that from one end to the other.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, it's rebarrel time!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
BP-B6

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't second guess a new premium barrel. Absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading the barrel regardless. I had a gunsmith tell me once "you can make a good gun shoot great, but you'll never make a bad gun shoot good."

You're not going to turn a 2" gun into a 1/2" gun with stupid tweaks unless something was seriously wrong like broken scope, rings, or loose screws, etc.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Certainly no metallurgy phd here but the interior of the barrel looks as though it has inclusions of some sort. If that is the case, and is the downstream cause of your accuracy issue, you’re headed toward a new barrel.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like classic rust damage to me

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I guess I lucked out with my Montana I bought used on the campfire a few years ago.

IC B2

E
E
Oh ya, that’s a dream! Nice

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Judman
LarryO probably isn’t the best advice giver…. Nothing like spending over a grand snd having to fuuck with it… 😂

Bout like buying a brand new rig with the check engine light on. 😎👍😘

I've never understood the Kimber thing... they aren't cheap and you buy it brand new *knowing* it's a project. I would say I don't understand why Kimber didn't just address some of the issues, but that answer is easy: because people buy them anyway.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
LarryO probably isn’t the best advice giver…. Nothing like spending over a grand snd having to fuuck with it… 😂

I've never understood the Kimber thing... they aren't cheap and you buy it brand new *knowing* it's a project. I would say I don't understand why Kimber didn't just address some of the issues, but that answer is easy: because people buy them anyway.

For sure, never understood it myself

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by raghorn
Looks like classic rust damage to me

Bingo. I’ve been happy with pacnor/Lilja/rocks on Kimbers.

Last edited by AKduck; 01/23/22.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I know, I know but it's pretty and she likes it.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Awesome pic! 👍

Time to put a new snout on it.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

You mean she shot that with a Kimber? No way! She must have been sitting right on top of it because you can't hit the broadside of a barn at 10' with a Kimber. whistle

That's a nice one, she did a great job.

Last edited by K22; 01/23/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm convinced! Any gunsmith recommendations? Would like to find someone in AZ that I can collaborate with on this but open to suggestions.

Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What barrel ya goin with?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yeah, that’s worth 700 bucks.
smile
Get that woman a new barrel - post haste!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did a way back purchase on a new Kimber 84 Varminter in 204 Rug. Nice looking rifle.

Had a card hanging off the trigger guard when I got it that said SUB MOA GUARANTEE. Gave me a warm tingling inside.

It did shoot SUB MOA ~ of a barn door. All the usual stuff tried to correct it ~ Throwing $300 in fixes at a $1000 dollar box gun, Meh whatever, had to try.

Nothing helped, until I dropped a PAC-NOR SuperMatch barrel on it. Awesome rifle now.

I caught a bad Proof Carbon barrel on a build. Jammed through everything imaginable to correct that as well. The builder came to the same conclusion, that it was just a bad barrel. New Proof slapped on the build, made it the shooting demon it was supposed to be.

Figure if you touch enough rifles, you will eventually find a lemon or two. While most can be corrected with fundamental changes, proper bedding, scope rings/bases, solid optics and tweaking loads. Sometimes the tube is just a hoser, and needs to be made gone.

I feel bad for the occasional rifle buyer, who hits the bad luck lottery on a rifle they had been wanting to own for a long time.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What barrel ya goin with?

What I would like to do is find a good smith and see which one he likes.

Jack O'Connor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Did a way back purchase on a new Kimber 84 Varminter in 204 Rug. Nice looking rifle.

Had a card hanging off the trigger guard when I got it that said SUB MOA GUARANTEE. Gave me a warm tingling inside.

It did shoot SUB MOA ~ of a barn door. All the usual stuff tried to correct it ~ Throwing $300 in fixes at a $1000 dollar box gun, Meh whatever, had to try.

Nothing helped, until I dropped a PAC-NOR SuperMatch barrel on it. Awesome rifle now.

I caught a bad Proof Carbon barrel on a build. Jammed through everything imaginable to correct that as well. The builder came to the same conclusion, that it was just a bad barrel. New Proof slapped on the build, made it the shooting demon it was supposed to be.

Figure if you touch enough rifles, you will eventually find a lemon or two. While most can be corrected with fundamental changes, proper bedding, scope rings/bases, solid optics and tweaking loads. Sometimes the tube is just a hoser, and needs to be made gone.

I feel bad for the occasional rifle buyer, who hits the bad luck lottery on a rifle they had been wanting to own for a long time.

🦫

All true. My last 4 barrels are Pac-Nor, PN, PN, and Bartlein and have all been rock stars. I’m due for a dud. It’s lucky I’ve been getting good ones, because I’ve been doing my own chambering, so I would’ve suspected an error on my end over the likelihood of a bad high-end barrel.

What happened to me was kind of the opposite. The PN tube on my short-action “Sendero Lite” 7 WSM build, the 2nd rifle I chambered after my .223AI, is an astonishingly good barrel. I swear it even corrects my called flyers, lol.... I’d heard of barrels this accurate, but never experienced it. That’ll ruin you for just “good”.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Awesome pic! 👍

Time to put a new snout on it.

I totally disagree. I think she has a very pretty nose. Meany.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

For sure, never understood it myself

At over a dozen kimbers owned, not one has needed tuning in any way.

Pitter Patter!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
269 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 40 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.