Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went through a 2018 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost and had endless problems, cam phaser failure twice, antifreeze disappearing who knows where, oil leaks and it goes on so I traded it off and went back to a GMC.

So the 2020 GMC with the 5.3L ran great for a year and a half no issues until now. Had to get a collapsed lifter and bend rod done and after that I’ve had a flashing engine light that comes on for a short period which apparently means a misfire in engine. Back to the shop.

So is there any reliable 1/2 ton a person can drive for years anymore?

Been looking at a tundra right now….

Rob
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A few years back I sold my last 3/4 ton and went for the smooth ride of a 1/2 ton 4x4. I looked at tundras and apart from fact my 6' 0" body didnt fit in that little cracker box, all the trannys had some unfixable computer defect where they would kick out of OD or something like that.

I went with a Ram 1500 4x4 diesel which a friend had de-smogged and tuned from brand new. At 125k now and not an issue other than one leaking $50 coolant hose that took $1800 in labor to get to and replace!

If I had to do it again would look at a Ram 1500 with the hemi. You dont save on fuel costs after paying the premium for diesel power and repairs, unless you tow all the time.

To answer your question: NO!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by harv3589
Went through a 2018 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost and had endless problems, cam phaser failure twice, antifreeze disappearing who knows where, oil leaks and it goes on so I traded it off and went back to a GMC.

So the 2020 GMC with the 5.3L ran great for a year and a half no issues until now. Had to get a collapsed lifter and bend rod done and after that I’ve had a flashing engine light that comes on for a short period which apparently means a misfire in engine. Back to the shop.

So is there any reliable 1/2 ton a person can drive for years anymore?

Reliable? You almost had it right the first time; F-150 only go with a 5.0

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My tundra is only a couple years old but I’ve had exactly zero problems. I expect it will be like my Tacoma, in 11 years and 210k it was nearly flawless, aside from maintenance I lost one rear axle seal and the temp/compass readout stopped working.

No transmission issues kicking out of OD in my tundra, never heard of that issue.

2022 tundra is a totally different rig hopefully it matches the previous tundra generations reliability.

Sean
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
According to Consumer Reports Magazine and other places that track reliability Tundra has been the most reliable 1/2-ton truck the last few years. It has not always been the highest rated truck overall considering all performance factors, but it has been in reliability. Same as the Tacoma and 4 Runner.

I have owned over a period of 32 years 2 Toyota small pickups (before Tacoma was released in 1995.5) and 4 Tacoma's all 4-wheel drive. It has been ridiculous how reliable they have been. A wheel bearing has been my most major repair.

Last edited by kzceh; 01/23/22.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Correct my post above: I was referring to tacoma not tundra.
I would consider a tundra

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I don't keep a truck past 200,000.
Every F150 I've had, all have had minor problems. 1995, 1999, 2013. Had a '09 tacoma between the last 2.
Will say the 99 had a few fuel pumps. I made an all day event down to a few hours. Replaced those crap bed bolts with big ole deck bolts, washes and nuts. Right when I sold it, it had that exhaust manifold rot that was common on the late 90's to early 2000's. Friend bought it and had a guy fix it.
2013 had a few more issues, coolant fitting on top of the motor cracked, Some sort of tranny shift module went out as I was going to possibly trade it on another tacoma. Ford covered it thankfully. Lost out on the tacoma though.
Traded it on a 21 Ranger Tremor. 170,000 on it and it still got 20 mpg on average out of the 5.0.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I could say my 2016 has been great (and it has) but anecdotal reports on the Innanet aren't worth much. I'm sure you'll still get lots of the usual suspects saying Toyotas are junk, or no more reliable than any of the Big 3, but actual data certainly doesn't support that.

I'd be leery of the New Gen 3 Tundra fo awhile. But that's just me. First and second year models seem problematic, IMO.

This was Consumer Report's ranking for light passenger truck reliability. 2020 or 2019. Can't remember which.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Wrongside; 01/24/22.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consumer Reports are the biggest money whores in the "Review" business. They have zero credibility, and boost the products that send them money.

That said, some people will destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet too....................

Odd how some people get great service out of whatever they drive, and others will have major problems with 3 or 4 different types of vehicle in a row. That should tell you something.........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Daughter has a '21 Tacoma, V6, 6 sp manual, horse trailer, water tank, hay duty, go to work commute etc, she drives like Mario Andretti on meth...totally reliable trouble free truck but light and squirrely with loaded horse trailer.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 has given me zero issue, except for the dead battery, can't blame the truck for that.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2020 Tundra bought new in August of 2019, 45k miles on it now, only thing I've spent on it is fuel.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well it’s back in shop and I suspect another collapsed lifter so we will see what tomorrow brings when they look at it….looking at some used Tundras.

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badger
Consumer Reports are the biggest money whores in the "Review" business. They have zero credibility, and boost the products that send them money.

Interesting opinion, badger. As far as I know CR doesn't except a single advertising dollar, buys their own test vehicles, and doesn't sell 'advertising rights' to the results of their vehicle testing. Do you have any proof or articles that have other information? I'd be interested to learn more about their business model.

Also, if CR isn't credible, who is? There's got to be something better than anecdotal experiences on the Internet...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well it’s back in shop and I suspect another collapsed lifter so we will see what tomorrow brings when they look at it….looking at some used Tundras.

Sorry Rob. Vehicle troubles are such a pain, and this is a tough time to be forced into used truck shopping. Strange time for used vehicle pricing. Hopefully prices start to moderate soon. Or better yet, GM gets your truck fixed for good.

Last edited by Wrongside; 01/25/22.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It’s a tough time to be shopping for a used vehicle. They seem to still want to give precovid trade in prices but new prices for their trucks

Rob
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badger

Odd how some people get great service out of whatever they drive, and others will have major problems with 3 or 4 different types of vehicle in a row. That should tell you something.........

Don’t think that’s entirely true, I’m very easy on my trucks. I don’t off road them, rarely drive over the speed limit and I don’t drive them like I stole it. Most of the time it’s backs and forth to work and I don’t even get to the speed limit. So zero abuse but lots of headaches

Rob
J
JJF Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by SeanD
My tundra is only a couple years old but I’ve had exactly zero problems. I expect it will be like my Tacoma, in 11 years and 210k it was nearly flawless, aside from maintenance I lost one rear axle seal and the temp/compass readout stopped working.

No transmission issues kicking out of OD in my tundra, never heard of that issue.

2022 tundra is a totally different rig hopefully it matches the previous tundra generations reliability.
I have a 2014 Tundra CrewCab with 5.7L V8. Other than expected maintenance (like a battery, brakes, etc.) it has been pretty much trouble-free. I did have to replace a front strut and shock absorber (no, I don't do off road). It is super easy to change the rear-end differential fluid, though if you need to bring it back to the dealer for maintenance, it ain't gonna be cheap. All in all, it has been a good reliable truck. I also had a 2001 Tundra that was 13 years old when I sold it and it too was very relaible.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by sactoller
My 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 has given me zero issue, except for the dead battery, can't blame the truck for that.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good looking truck!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Can't believe anyone pays attention to the communists at consumer reports.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.