Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have had a hunting ATV for years that I have moved around with a trailer. Now I also have a travel trailer and can not pull both at the same time.

To take both, I am trying to locate and buy another ATV that will fit into the bed of my 2016 F250 standard bed Super duty. I have a step (factory) in the tailgate and have 79" clear in the bed to work with.

Manufacture's wheel base data has not been useful as it does not translate to overall length considering front and rear overhangs, etc.

Does anyone have any real world info that would help me narrow my search for an ATV that would fit my needs?

Thank you.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unless you just want a new atv (tell the truth now), take a look at these overhead ramps. They're made for UTV's but work just as well for atvs. To be honest, loading one like this would scare the hell out of me.
Or, you can load the atv from the side with the right ramps.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]
[Linked Image from offroadingpro.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjac
I have had a hunting ATV for years that I have moved around with a trailer. Now I also have a travel trailer and can not pull both at the same time.

To take both, I am trying to locate and buy another ATV that will fit into the bed of my 2016 F250 standard bed Super duty. I have a step (factory) in the tailgate and have 79" clear in the bed to work with.

Manufacture's wheel base data has not been useful as it does not translate to overall length considering front and rear overhangs, etc.

Does anyone have any real world info that would help me narrow my search for an ATV that would fit my needs?

Thank you.

I had a Polaris Sportsman 500 for years that would fin the bed of my F-350 long bed.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It might be worth looking at this one. It may give you enough room:

https://www.titanramps.com/carriers/atv-carriers/raised-atv-utv-truck-bed-rack/332022.html

I've used bungie cord to keep tailgates up when hauling an ATV that was too long to allow the tailgate to close.....close to closing but couldn't. The cord from latch to latch on the back kept the tailgate up against the back tires.

mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Unless you just want a new atv (tell the truth now), take a look at these overhead ramps.

I have been found out! lol
Thanks

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

IC B2

mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I had a Polaris Sportsman 500 for years that would fin the bed of my F-350 long bed.

Yeah I had a 150 long but the 250 is a crew cab/standard bed and I thought it would be just right at the time. Oh well. Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjac
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yeah I had a 150 long but the 250 is a crew cab/standard bed and I thought it would be just right at the time. Oh well. Thanks

Nope. I had one of those too. You got to leave the tailgate open and let your rear tires rest there. And then, of course, strap it in.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
It might be worth looking at this one. It may give you enough room:

https://www.titanramps.com/carriers/atv-carriers/raised-atv-utv-truck-bed-rack/332022.html

I've used bungie cord to keep tailgates up when hauling an ATV that was too long to allow the tailgate to close.....close to closing but couldn't. The cord from latch to latch on the back kept the tailgate up against the back tires.

The machine I currently have rides partially on the TG so I cant lift it anywhere closed. If I go to a smaller machine, strapping the TG closed like you did may work. But a call to Titan ramps on Monday may change the game plan! I may be able to keep my current machine. I'll see how much room is to be gained by their ramps. Many thanks for the link.

mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Problem solved. Polaris 570, fits with tailgate up and no other mods required.
Thanks all.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i have aCF moto 1000 cc machine. it "fit" in my f150 Super crew, with the rear tire on the tailgate. mine is the 5.5 bed. i would think something along the size of a 500 cc machine would fit in a crew cab 6.5 foot bed

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i have aCF moto 1000 cc machine. it "fit" in my f150 Super crew, with the rear tire on the tailgate. mine is the 5.5 bed. i would think something along the size of a 500 cc machine would fit in a crew cab 6.5 foot bed
What does your rear axle weigh? You might want to beef up that tailgate. Take a close look at the hinges. They aren't very strong for carrying much weight.

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Yamaha Kodiak 450 is smaller than the Polaris 570 in both length and width, plus most would say it is a far better machine than any Polaris.

mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am no engineer but me thinks that if you are loading with ramps, at some point you have most if not all the atv weight on the tailgate. So when completely in and the rear wheels are still on the tailgate that weight is something less than when it was being loaded?
For me it's now a mute point because the machine I now have allows me to fully close the tailgate after I have ramp loaded.
Thanks again for your hints and suggestions.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I got the old lady a Honda Rubicon for her birthday last year, thought it looked huge next to my old Kodiak 400. Fit in her standard pickup truck bed just fine, but bed is 8'. I'm a Honda guy, owned them since the early 80's/3 wheeler days. Do yourself a favor, get a Yamaha Grizzy 700 and be done with it! I only got her the Rubicon because no Griz in stock last Feb. MUCH more user friendly machine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm going to do some measuring to see if this rack would allow me to close my tailgate. I have a long bed Dodge. My Razor is about 4" too long to close it so I have to tie it shut. This might get enough angle to allow me to close it.

[Linked Image from titanramps.com]

― George Orwell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by gitem_12
What does your rear axle weigh? You might want to beef up that tailgate. Take a close look at the hinges. They aren't very strong for carrying much weight.

the hinges werent the problem. the tailgate didnt stand up to the weight of loadng the machine. i bought a 5x8 trailer

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good thread, my f150 has a 8 ' box that is not the problem . Finding a reasonable price atv is...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Could you mount a hitch on the back of the travel trailer?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Loading, on the trailer, or in the truck. Have any of you ever had a boo boo here. A high rate of ATV accidents happen this way.

I couldn't count how many times I've loaded. But after dark with a heavy dew & a slick ramp with wet tires was one for me to remember.

A couple of these pics of hauling solutions give me the willies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by overmax
Could you mount a hitch on the back of the travel trailer?
That's not legal in many states. Plus, some TT's don't lend themselves to being tow vehicles.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.