Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Had an old “corn cob” cornbread pan someone gave me.

Knowing the person, it likely came from the dump.

Harder to clean because of the “kernel” grooves.

Put it in a hot campfire. Cleaned up nicely.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Too much heat can warp or crack a pan.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flax seed oil has been the darling if seasoning oils for a while. Grapeseed oil is coming on strong.

I’ve only used vegetable oil, canola oil, crisco, or lard though because that’s what was on hand.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[img]http://[/img]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Flax seed oil has been the darling if seasoning oils for a while. Grapeseed oil is coming on strong.

I’ve only used vegetable oil, canola oil, crisco, or lard though because that’s what was on hand.

I got some flax oil and have used it, but convenience is king.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bill Poole:

I visited my son over xmas and found that they had left all 4 cast iron pans out in the weather, for months

Is he still alive?

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Been using flax seed oil for a few years, not sure its better than others

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought one of those Lodge skillets that had the real ruff "Non stick coatings" on it. I took a sander and some 180 grit sandpaper and in about 5 or 10 minutes had the skillet as smooth as a babies bottom. I then seasoned it and proceeded to cook some taters and bacon in it. The skillet was just about like any other well seasoned cast iron I have. After a couple more cooks in it, you can't tell it from an old skillet.
I did not like that ruff finish that Lodge used and was not crazy about whatever coating they had added to it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I wash mine with hot water wipe it out. Put it on the stove and heat it up. pour some oil in it and wipe all around with a paper towel to coat then put away. Been using cast iron for years and mine is all slick.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I wash mine with hot water wipe it out. Put it on the stove and heat it up. pour some oil in it and wipe all around with a paper towel to coat then put away. Been using cast iron for years and mine is all slick.

That is how I do mine as well after cooking

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I use bacon grease or olive oil after cooking and cleaning the pan. As stated, oil, heat until it smokes then turn off the heat.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pullit
I bought one of those Lodge skillets that had the real ruff "Non stick coatings" on it. I took a sander and some 180 grit sandpaper and in about 5 or 10 minutes had the skillet as smooth as a babies bottom. I then seasoned it and proceeded to cook some taters and bacon in it. The skillet was just about like any other well seasoned cast iron I have. After a couple more cooks in it, you can't tell it from an old skillet.
I did not like that ruff finish that Lodge used and was not crazy about whatever coating they had added to it.

I will not buy any more new Lodge cast iron. Their rough coating on the interior cook surface is schit. I've tried 3 in the last couple years. No thanks. I'll stick with old Griswolds.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd sand it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
you must do this outside away from your home its a mess to do > to clean a cast iron skillet soak them in red vinegar over night completely covered in vinegar use a plastic wash tube, then dry them and with a cordless drill use a adaptor with a heavy metal brush spin and grid down to bare metal . but it will take a few days of soaking and gridding tell its down to bare metal., once you are down to bare metal in all of pan inside and out now its time to season. 1st wrap aluminum foil on grates of oven real good ,now take bacon grease or pork lard wipe a thin layer on all of the skillet inside and outside ,turn upside down in oven above the aluminum foil ,turn oven on to 400 degrees and bake for for 2 1/2hrs. let skillet cool down in oven then repeat with another thin layer of bacon grease on all of skillet ,repeat back in oven for 2 1/2 hrs. 400 degrees do this 4 - 6 times and your finished , 6 times is the best for a great seasoned finished.there are no short cuts, i feel bacon grease or pork lard works better than vegetable oil that`s what old timers used bacon grease always. fry an egg in a little vegetable oil and egg will still stick some ,fry an egg in bacon grease and it never sticks ,believe me bacon greased season is by far better for a tasty steak with no sticking fried in butter.

Last edited by pete53; 02/01/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This griddle was cracked, I brazed it on the back side.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I figured that as magical as they are, they would clean themselves.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.