Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Shooting is a mental game for a reason - (meaning good shooters hold some idea of what their body is doing making the position for the rifle while they shoot).

If (more like when) you move to a lighter chambering that doesn’t have hardly any recoil at first you are a bit relieved, but if you are observant and shoot them long enough you can easily become less careful because she isn’t going to bite me so I don’t have to prepare as much.

Such is it with my 260, and the creed - mentally it’s a trap you can fall for, especially with tactical shooting where your shooting positions vary a great deal.

At the end of the day you have to create the same foundation for the rifle to recoil into - getting light on recoil can result in you taking less time to position and hold the rifle before you execute… which easily throws your shots.

I’m switching to something a bit heavier just to get my mind right for a while.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/21/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's simply some of THE Dumbest Fhuqking Schit I've ever read. Hint.

Do you piss in your water bottle,to make it "taste better". Might you ask the Chef to "kick my steak around the Parking Lot",to "enhance" it too? Hint.

I enjoy how you "think" your CLUELESSNESS is a "choice",but it is a Plight and them differences are stark. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

My SINCERE Apologies if this is a Fhuqking Joke and I missed the Punch Line. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow...

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Shooting is a mental game for a reason - (meaning good shooters hold some idea of what their body is doing making the position for the rifle while they shoot).

If (more like when) you move to a lighter chambering that doesn’t have hardly any recoil at first you are a bit relieved, but if you are observant and shoot them long enough you can easily become less careful because she isn’t going to bite me so I don’t have to prepare as much.

Such is it with my 260, and the creed - mentally it’s a trap you can fall for, especially with tactical shooting where your shooting positions vary a great deal.

At the end of the day you have to create the same foundation for the rifle to recoil into - getting light on recoil can result in you taking less time to position and hold the rifle before you execute… which easily throws your shots.

I’m switching to something a bit heavier just to get my mind right for a while.
You haven't shot any competition that requires rapid fire, have you? Scores went up in HPR when the AR took over.
PS--For once, I agree totally with BigStick.

Last edited by UPhiker; 01/22/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was going to stay silent on this one because for most shooting, I also disagree with the OP. But if you're talking highpower where recoil management and rapid fire is a factor, he does have a point. I was around during the M14 heyday and through the transition to the AR Service Rifle. Yes, the average shooter shot better scores in rapid because of the lesser recoil of the AR. But at the upper echelon, the scores didn't really increase appreciably if at all. I found it interesting that the folks at the top during the M16's ascendancy were folk that cut their teeth on the M14. Singley, Hatcher, Watson...I could go on and on. The M14 recoil forced building a rapid position right. When these lessons were applied to the M16 the result was high x cleans in rapid. So yah, recoil teaches something in rapid fire.

I can't tell you how many MK, SS and even EX shooters I've seen repositioning the Butt or their forward hand in the middle of a rapid string. The AR will let you get away with that...and they'll continue shooting their mediocre low 90's thinking they're doing good. The M14 slapped me around and drove me to build my positions that were rock solid and able to withstand 2 and 8 with that bucking bronco.

Not really applicable to the hunter firing a single shot or two in a day...but if it works for the op...

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/22/22.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
How hard of a pull your forearm hand back to load the buttsock correctly and the same way into your shoulder for a shot is part of good tactical shooting, the same goes for how much pressure you put on your sling, and what position it’s in. Under 100 yards it doesn’t matter much, at 300-500 it can move your POI alot.

Anything that makes you remember or forget to mount and load the rifle in a neutral position the same way all the time IS important.
For me lack of recoil can translate to not getting the perfect hold… because well while I’m just killing everything I point at, until I don’t… I find no recoil is why I got sloppy.

most people know Everyone is different …

Especially people who think they know everything about everyone, and piss and moan that no one else knows anything
—- OH WAIT A MINUTE… no, that’s the Internet —-Sorry My mistake (also something you won’t hear Stick normally say either)…

I swear the Internet is fully of people cursing because of their own hurt feelings (why someone post hurts a guys feelings so much they act like a snowflake is hilarious)
- It’s just exhausting to tell them why their own feelings are hurt… so I tend not to bother.

Now there are times a guy is screaming because he hurt himself… you know like when they have zipped up their ball sack in their fly
- I have empathy but there still isn’t anything to make you feel better, and forgive me if I don’t offer to give you a hand… not gonna happen… sorry Broh,
You are on your own with that one!

All BS aside stick usually knows his chit… he may not have run into this one yet, who know, who cares…

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/22/22.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ChrisF
I Yes, the average shooter shot better scores in rapid because of the lesser recoil of the AR. But at the upper echelon, the scores didn't really increase appreciably if at all.
I know one HM in MI who was always second place because he was a skinny little guy. When the AR came around, he started winning. His initials are BKC. He went by his middle name--Kim.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m racking my brain on who that shooter is…I think he produced a score book that I used at one time. Barry Coleman?…but he didn’t go by “Kim”…

Your example supports both our points. “Kim” had the fundamentals down if he made HM with the 14 (maybe because of the 14. And he was able to apply those fundamentals better because of reduced recoil (to your point). …but he’s not that upper echelon I was referring to if he wasn’t winning.

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/22/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Apart from recovery after recoil for rapid fire matches, I can't see what significance recoil is in the equation, except flinching for the harder kickers I suppose. Shooting air rifles and 22s in field positions is just as hard as anything else.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

That is the weird thing about the whole situation - going from heavy kickers to lower recoil did help me shoot a great deal both by eliminating the flinch, and detecting what else I was doing wrong….

Then apparently I got lazy ? But when I went up to an 06 powder column the problem disappeared.

… I’ll go back with the light kicker but it was just an interesting event.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Flinching can be treated but you have to acknowledge that you have the problem in the first place.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
rite. toooh , your'e standing on my right toe.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
a little recoil will never help you shoot better but it will remind you when your "style" is getting sloppy

Last edited by ldholton; 01/23/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
a little recoil will never help you shoot better but it will remind you when your "style" is getting sloppy
There ya go!

There's a reason we train kids on air rifles and that champions train on SCATTs.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what I get from this is something my Marine lifer uncle said .learn to shoot a bad trigger will make you a better shooter I think this is what he means

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
give me less recoil always , i don`t care to be kicked by a horse either ever again . Stick is 110 % right !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
That's simply some of THE Dumbest Fhuqking Schit I've ever read...

Gotta agree with this.

All heavy recoil will do is make you develop a flinch.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Back about 50 years ago, I started shooting competitively with an old 03 Springfield I bought at Monkey Wards for $12. I must confess,starting off for 2-4 years I was not very good at it and never progressed to even Expert.

It was a short stock and if not careful, I would creep up on it and the bolt would punch be in the nose.Prone it would drive me back several inches with each shot. I was 5'-6" and weighed about 125 pounds if I fell in a creek. I got use to the recoil but fellow shooters on the line, both sides of me, were no happy when I was driven back far enough to catch them with the muzzle blast . I had to work terribly hard to control my flinch.I did get good enough to feel confident to shoot deer and elk off hand at 100 yards or less

When DCM ( now CMP) started to sell Garands, I switched over. Recoil was not as bad, and after up grading it to National Match standards, I did a lot better. I never made it to M1A's. Years went by and now I shoot an AR-15 for fun, but my body gave out and competition ability is long since gone.

I did learn a lot though, but found out no matter how much you shoot in a controlled environment and how good you get, in the field, you don't feel the recoil.

As for triggers,once you master shooting a Winchester Model 88,everything else is easy

I am reminded of a young fellow I took elk hunting for his 1st time. He told me he could hit little pickles at 200 yards or so. He missed a cow elk at about 60 yards.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Now when you golf with your boss you don’t show them up - how would that have been… a guy humps hunting and in the end his firs elk is a drive by off the horse with plenty of time and a easy 75 yd shoot…. Frankly I had to miss that elk to save face.

I do recall a couple of guys riding up to a ridge to confirm a dead bull elk I shot was 400 + yards when the shots were so fast I should have been holding them in my teeth, and still managed to hit the bugger in the brain stem after a double lung shot.. funny you didn’t mention that.

All I can say is God has a sense of humor, and every time I shoot an easy shot in front of someone there is a good chance I’ll miss - well because it’s an easy shot.
The hard ones - not so much.

Pickles .. LOL…. What kind of guy offers at 2am “hey you want to to go out and hang pickles on the elk when they are sleeping so i won’t miss them the next time… “

Not sure I’ll ever forget that comment.. out of the blue when I was trying to get to sleep.

Next thing I know I’ll be hearing “ Get me the hell off this Mountain”… hahaha

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/29/22.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Recoil is what it is. Hard to get one’s head wrapped around it, good or bad. I can’t imagine how more helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.