S
Paul you have a PM

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=Bearcat74]
I put a Dawson Precision fiber optic front on mine and added X frame grips with the finger grooves sanded down to my 4.25” S&W 69.

I changed the grips on mine to the Hogue X Grips also, changed my front sight to a Hi Viz fiber optic, and had my gunsmith smooth out the trigger and replaced the firing pin with one a tad longer. I kept the finger grooves on the X Grips, though. I REALLY like it.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have the 2 3-4” 69......becoming a 45 colt.
And if the recoil bothers you....L,N&X frame all take the same grips I believe......the X frame grip has more padding

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Paul105's info about the 69 on another forum convinced me to buy one. Been very pleased with mine.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Paul105's info about the 69 on another forum convinced me to buy one. Been very pleased with mine.

Paul105 has had vast experience with certain Smith revolvers. When he reviews or speaks of one, listen. He's not just another internet expert. I value his info.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yep. When he speaks, I listen too! Much, much more knowledgeable and helpful than most.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have two of the 4” models. Both have been back to Smith for repair. One needs to go back again.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I have two of the 4” models. Both have been back to Smith for repair. One needs to go back again.

I'm curious, what wears out on the M69? I have a M329pd that I've sent in for repairs multiple times over the years, but I expect that if I shoot it a lot. I just assumed the all steel M69 would wear better.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Both shot Way high with bullets over 200 grains. Rear sight blades had to be replaced with the correct height. Actions got tight and started to bind up on certain cylinders. Barrel on one started rotating in the frame. That’s all from new condition, not worn out.

If you want to wear one out, just get a no-dash 629. It will be shot out in short order, with severe cylinder back up issues.

Last edited by TonyRumore; 01/21/22.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have around 1k rounds down a 2-3/4" m69. I love the gun. More accurate than it should be, and feels pretty soft in the hand. My 4 5/8" bisley does not get shot much anymore. only issue I have had so far. Is every screw on the gun, with the exception of the side plate has rattled loose. ended up just putting blue locktite on everything that has a thread.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I couldn’t resist the temptation either and just bought one. I chose the 69 and my buddy bought the Bulldog. I wanted a magnum without stepping up to the N frame size.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Which barrel length did you go with? Mine’s a 4.whatever. Great gun. Be sure to disable the lock. The simply rugged holster is my favorite so far.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I went with the 4” barrel. While I don’t plan on doing much hunting down here in the years to come because hopefully we’ll have moved up north in the not too distant future the 4.25” barrel is legal for big game hunting here. Mostly I bought it for my wife to carry when she’s hiking, fishing or accompanying me on hunts. I’ve got a couple thousand once fired cases for the magnum and about 750 for the special. She’ll practice with the special and carry the magnums just like she did with her model 36. I was pleased to finally find a magnum revolver that didn’t carry like a magnum. I’m glad to see that the reviews are almost all quite favorable but being that it’s a S&W that’s not too surprising. 👍

I’ll have my gunsmith buddy do an action job and trigger job as well as disable the J lock. When I looked at the revolver the first time I was put off because of the lock but I decided I’m not letting a stupid and insignificant thing like the lock keep me from buying the revolver I’ve been wanting. I’ve never had an issue with the lock but I also always disable them immediately. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Mine is the 4.25 inch. Has been carried all over the Beartooths and the big horns. Round count is over five thousand by now. Replaced the front sight with a Dawson green fiber optic. Not the greatest for long range shooting but it does work ok for that. The first time in the mountain with that sight was certainly interesting. It was spring bear season, stopped on the way down to take a leak. Had to check the front sight out!!!! Green glowing dot despite it was dang near dark. Six inches of snow helped the ambient light but my partners sixgun sights were invisible.
The model 69 with x frame modified grips kicks less than an N frame and carries easily in a chest holster. Conceals fairly well under a vest, I carry two or three speed strips for spare ammo. My load is a 250 Keith (#503) at almost 1200. The same bullet cast hollow point runs about 1260. Makes a mess of picket pins and rockchucks.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The skinny Dawson front with a fiber optic is a must have. I’ve been meaning to try a set of the x frame grips

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Here's a Dawson 1/10" FO front on a M69 2.75"

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I went with the 4” barrel. While I don’t plan on doing much hunting down here in the years to come because hopefully we’ll have moved up north in the not too distant future the 4.25” barrel is legal for big game hunting here. Mostly I bought it for my wife to carry when she’s hiking, fishing or accompanying me on hunts. I’ve got a couple thousand once fired cases for the magnum and about 750 for the special. She’ll practice with the special and carry the magnums just like she did with her model 36. I was pleased to finally find a magnum revolver that didn’t carry like a magnum. I’m glad to see that the reviews are almost all quite favorable but being that it’s a S&W that’s not too surprising. 👍

I’ll have my gunsmith buddy do an action job and trigger job as well as disable the J lock. When I looked at the revolver the first time I was put off because of the lock but I decided I’m not letting a stupid and insignificant thing like the lock keep me from buying the revolver I’ve been wanting. I’ve never had an issue with the lock but I also always disable them immediately. 😁

Here's a good article by Brian Pearce on "pet" loads for the 44 spcl. for options between anemic factory loads and full 44 mag. Maybe give you and your wife some more options for load development.
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/44-s-w-special-p

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you Sir. I’ll dig into that when I get done with the tractor work today.

I like the looks of that Dawson front site. I have a set of XS day/night sites on my Glock 20 that I love. The damn things glow so bright that in the pitch black of our bedroom in the middle of the night I can clearly see where my pistol lays on the night stand thanks to those sites. 😁

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Dawson makes a tritium front as well, but it's wider than the fiber optic shown earlier in the thread. The one pictured by Paul 105 is a great option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.