Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The snow is coming down and my 2013 model 1526 tractor won't start.

I mean, it won't even turn over. It's like there's a safety switch that has failed. I've messed with the neutral switch and can hear what sounds like a contactor clicking when I play with the selector while holding the key to the starter position, leading me to think that the switch is working.

Operating the key to start as usual, I hear the clicking of the fuel pump, the glow plug light comes on and I get a single click that sounds like a contactor/solenoid, but no starter.

I pulled the starter so I could spin it just in case there was a bad spot on the armature, but after reinstalling it, nothing changed.

I'm a fairly handy guy and lifelong tradesman, but tractors aren't my specialty, especially when I have to work on it out in the snow, which is piling up and making me worry. I have to get this tractor running, so any tips or suggestions on commonly failing components would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes it could be simple like not having it in neutral, both sticks, or if needed the clutch engaged.

Kent

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My dad has a 2015 Massey, the thing is junk. I don't use it much but the transmission pops out of gear whenever you're using it. I've got a long driveway and my dad borrowed it to me to back drag the driveway with a blade. When it starts, its tough to keep it in gear. How cold is it where you are? The one we have is a cold blooded bear. Might need to tent it and put a heater under it for a night. See if that will help.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You try jumping the battery?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My dad has a little NH that did the same thing a few years ago. We messed with it endlessly and never could figure it out. We ended up just putting a spade connector on the hot to the fuel solenoid and a jumper to the hot on the starter. Plug the fuel on and then touch the hot to the starter to turn it over. I’m sure it’s some safety dodad on his but we can’t figure it out.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
air
fuel,
spark
and a kick over.
you have no kick.
you might try a direct heavy line to the starter post to see if it will turn.
after you try charging the battery and if it still doesnt turn..
a poor battery connection will prevent your kick though the solonoid will click.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Battery is fine. Solenoid seems built into the starter, so I can't jump it. It's got to be a bad safety switch or the solenoid/starter took a crap. I just ran it for an hour or two on Saturday. Went out yesterday to finish up and,...nothing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Scott, look for proximity or limit switches for the accessories, ie. pto, neutral if it’s a manual trans or forward/reverse if it’s a hydrostatic, mid pto if yours has one, or your rear hydraulic lever. most of these will be under the operator station.
My New Holland has a pto lever that has a proximity switch that barely makes when in the off position due to it’s bracket being welded in the wrong spot.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Scott, look for proximity or limit switches for the accessories, ie. pto, neutral if it’s a manual trans or forward/reverse if it’s a hydrostatic, mid pto if yours has one, or your rear hydraulic lever. most of these will be under the operator station.
My New Holland has a pto lever that has a proximity switch that barely makes when in the off position due to it’s bracket being welded in the wrong spot.

I laid under that bitch in the snow yesterday, looking for and playing with safety switches. Only ones I can find are the neutral switch and the seat switch. Seat switch only kills the tractor when in gear and you get off the seat.

The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards the starter/solenoid (it's all 1 unit). There's only 3 wires going to it. 2 attach to the main positive lug, which is always hot, and another wire clips into the solenoid. I'm assuming that this is the solenoid trigger. If I test it and it's getting a signal when I turn the key, I think that'll answer my question. All grounding is apparently through the block.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If I recall, it's common to start those standing beside the tractor, make sure it's in park!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like the starter needs rebuilt/replaced. I’ve also had a bad battery terminal give similar symptoms.
Give that starter a sharp whack with a hammer and see if it helps.

Last edited by gregintenn; 01/24/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Sounds like the starter needs rebuilt/replaced. I’ve also had a bad battery terminal give similar symptoms.

Took us forever to figure this out on my Kioti.
It simply needed new terminals, the wires were corroded back far enough under the insulator that it was UN-noticeable.
Replaced both +/- terminals and no problem since.

FJB & FJT
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Muther f u ckers

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I laid under that bitch in the snow yesterday, looking for and playing with safety switches. Only ones I can find are the neutral switch and the seat switch. Seat switch only kills the tractor when in gear and you get off the seat.

The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards the starter/solenoid (it's all 1 unit). There's only 3 wires going to it. 2 attach to the main positive lug, which is always hot, and another wire clips into the solenoid. I'm assuming that this is the solenoid trigger. If I test it and it's getting a signal when I turn the key, I think that'll answer my question. All grounding is apparently through the block.

Jump the solenoid that should eliminate a lot of questions

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you have a service manual? I couldn't find a electrical schematic for free online.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Jump the solenoid that should eliminate a lot of questions

^ this, screwdriver and a couple seconds is all it takes. I learned that trick after driving out to a field and forgetting the key ...

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Solenoid

My experience with MF tractors was jumping the solenoid on the little 235 we used to rake hay from when I was about 11 to 18 or so when I went to college. As stated, make sure it’s in neutral and maybe put your foot on the step and one hand on the wheel so that you can pull yourself up and out of the way real quick if you were careless. Lol

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Took us forever to figure this out on my Kioti.
It simply needed new terminals, the wires were corroded back far enough under the insulator that it was UN-noticeable.
Replaced both +/- terminals and no problem since.

I bought a starter and new battery before figuring it out.
It's a cheap and easy place to start.

Last edited by gregintenn; 01/24/22.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Solenoid isn't visible. It's fully enclosed as part of the starter.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Do you have a service manual? I couldn't find a electrical schematic for free online.

I do. I'll be digging into it this evening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 68 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,138
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.