Hop To
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by pullit
]I have tried a drawer full of others but it's always been the one that comes out on top

Can you tell me what indian creek 20 gauge was you the best.

My carlson tubes work but Meh...

I'm running a benelli beretta tube btw.

What shot and size are you using?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just picked up the Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike 20 gauge .555" to try out. There's a couple more open ones, but this is the one I kept finding as recommended when using the smaller TSS shot. We'll see how it goes...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dean, how does your CarlsonTSS pattern #9? I've read good reviews.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by humdinger
]I have tried a drawer full of others but it's always been the one that comes out on top

Can you tell me what indian creek 20 gauge was you the best.

My carlson tubes work but Meh...

I'm running a benelli beretta tube btw.

What shot and size are you using?

Federal tss loads #9. 3 inch/ 1 5/8 ounce I think.

I noticed an odd thing though.. I bought these shells at two different times and didnt notice the first batch were 1000 fps where the second batch are 1200 FPS. I'll have to go look at them to see if the slow ones are sold as low recoil aor thfederal is plating with the powder charge due to pressure issues.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I too ( like Dean) found that a .555 works great for me with #9 TSS. Some found that a .562 works well for them. I like a "hot core" to my pattern so I went with the .555.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sounds to me like tss is the bidness!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The TRUGLO TG187X .565" gave some really good results and is the choke tube I spent the most time with. It was the first one I picked up and tried out. Only a couple through the Carlson's Heavyweight TSS .555" which were a little better. Also wanted to see if I could tell any difference between these 2 choke tubes, as the TRUGLO is ported and the Carlson's is not. I couldn't tell any difference, but I don't have a chrony anymore either, so couldn't test that. I have another TRUGLO, a TG177X that's also .565", but haven't shot it yet. Other than the cost of TSS shells to do all this "testing", I rather enjoy it. I also picked up some of the "shoot and see" targets and plan on finally taking some pictures of them to post. The Indian Creek tube should be here this week and then it's up to the weather when I'll be out trying it. Borrowed a buddy's chrony too, with the promise that if I shoot it, I've bought it! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do know that you can over choke TSS and blow the pattern but have using it for a long time now, I am happy with my gun/shell/choke combo and I have not bought a new choke in several years. I load my own TSS due to 1) issues I saw with Hevi Turkey shells back in the day. You would find a shell that patterned great and the next box (different lot#) would not. They changed the wads or hull or whatever and your great pattern would go to crap. The second reason was back when I started shooting TSS, the only way you got a shell was to roll your own as their was nobody loading them commercially. I got tired of not knowing what was in my shell and how it would pattern, so I started loading my own.
I started back before TSS and was buying bags of Hevi Shot. You talk about inconsistent shot size and shapes, it was awful. I then went to using Federal Heavy weight shot and it was much better as far as shot goes in shape and size. You could not buy the shot in bags and I would wait till the season was over and everybody was blowing their stock out for cheap. I would buy 20 or 30 boxes and rob the shot out of the shells (I think I still have a few lbs of that left over) Then TSS showed up and I bought enough hulls/wads/and shot to do me for the rest of my turkey hunting days.
I usually load 20 shells at a time and that will do me 3 or 4 sometimes 5 years before I have to load again. I shoot a shot or two and make sure my gun is still on and everything is good to go. Depending on if I hunt out of state and how well my season in TN goes, I may shoot 3 to 8 shells a year. I have about 2 or 3 shells leftover from last year so I will have to load some more for this year.
I also put a new red dot on my turkey gun this year so I will need a few shells to get that dialed in as well.

Last edited by pullit; 01/24/22.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to go nuts on all the different "turkey ranger" supplies from Ballistic Products up in MN. All their publications too. Slitting the wads in different length slits, 8 point crimp, 6 point crimp, roll crimp with plastic or cardboard overshot cards... on and on... I enjoyed it all. With my 10 bore ML, as many different wad materials I could get, fiber, cardboard, lubed wonder wads, but never plastic as it made such a mess in the barrels with black powder! Fast forward to today, I don't even have any of my MEC shotshell presses anymore, committed to factory loadings, for better or for worse. I'll definitely mess around with the choke tubes and may even get some of the other IC just because. In any event, I've drawn IL and WI tags again for this spring, so my field testing will thankfully continue!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too ( like Dean) found that a .555 works great for me with #9 TSS. Some found that a .562 works well for them. I like a "hot core" to my pattern so I went with the .555.

The Carlsons TSS choke I ordered for my 20 g BPS is .565 Of course, it's the backbored Invector Plus choke system. Looking forward to trying it.

For 12 g, all my guns are either Invector Plus or Ithaca Plus (Ithaca + = Invector +). I have a Browning extended extra full in my Winchester SX4 that seems to be .685. I have a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder in my A5 that is .680. I have a Briley extended in my Ithaca M37 that is .675. Using #5 lead the Ithaca patterns best. There is no detectable difference between the Winchester and A5. The Ithaca is also the only one I have that shoots exactly where I aim it. I'd like to try TSS in my Ithaca but thinkl I might need to back off to the standard full choke.

So what constructions are you using for 12 g TSS? I'm

IC B3

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
A projectile carries energy based on weight and velocity...a #4 carries way more energy than a smaller lighter weight TSS pellet.

TSS can't be pushed to the velocity lead can because of pressures caused because it doesn't give any.

There's a thing called energy transfer...

The TSS depends not on energy transfer but on the hope that it will poke a bunch of small holes in something vital.

Most any choke will shoot a bunch of small pellets. Usually not so with the bigger shot unless it's coming out of a Winchester Longbeard.

Federal ammo and all the others ammo companies are sucking hind teet with the bigger shot loads coming from Winchester...that's why they're pushing the small shot...pretty easy to see if you've been watching.

The shot lock technology in Winchester Longbeards makes most any choke/gun combination look pretty good.

Keep this in mind while you drool over your fAiry dust sized shot.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just like in the movies, fairy dust is some pretty good stuff! Lol!

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

The Carlsons TSS choke I ordered for my 20 g BPS is .565 Of course, it's the backbored Invector Plus choke system. Looking forward to trying it.

For 12 g, all my guns are either Invector Plus or Ithaca Plus (Ithaca + = Invector +). I have a Browning extended extra full in my Winchester SX4 that seems to be .685. I have a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder in my A5 that is .680. I have a Briley extended in my Ithaca M37 that is .675. Using #5 lead the Ithaca patterns best. There is no detectable difference between the Winchester and A5. The Ithaca is also the only one I have that shoots exactly where I aim it. I'd like to try TSS in my Ithaca but thinkl I might need to back off to the standard full choke.

So what constructions are you using for 12 g TSS? I'm

Never used TSS in a 12 ga but I know several guys that do. Most are using in the .670-.690 range chokes depending on gun/shell/choke combo to get them what they want.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
In my 12 gauge browning cynergy, I'm using .650", with 3" 1.75oz. #9 TSS. I did quite a bit of patterning with that shell, starting with factory full choke and going tighter from there. Each pattern got better and better, as the chokes got tighter.

That shot is so small and hard, I don't think you can "over choke" it. It's a gobbler hammer, for sure!

Andy3

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You sure you fellers need a 12 gauge stuffed with the magic dust....this little feller swears by the foe tin.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
As with most all hunting products , they do exactly what they are intended to do ! and that is separate the sportsman from his hard earned cash buy suggesting he is incapable or inferior unless he spends to have these magical products . Buy all means buy these types of products if that is what it takes to prop up your ability / confidence . I laugh as my friends slays gobblers with hi-brass 2 3/4 #6 out of a full choke.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You still use a flintlock? Or better yet, just pick up a stone from the ground and throw it? You mention friends "slayins" turkeys, have you? Another one chimes in that feels the need to prop themselves up.

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got my 20 gauge ammo. It's been 20+ years since I've messed around with a 20 gauge. That shell seems so tiny since all I've handled since then are 12 gauge. My first thought when it came out of the box was "geez, is that even enough?" Oh well, the evidence I've seen is enough to give it a whirl. At the very least, I'll have a nice 20 gauge for small game. I still don't have my gun. It's due to be delivered to my FFL tomorrow and I likely won't pick it up till Friday. And I won't have my Carlsons TSS choke till monday.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
You still use a flintlock? Or better yet, just pick up a stone from the ground and throw it? You mention friends "slayins" turkeys, have you? Another one chimes in that feels the need to prop themselves up.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

The shotgun like the turkey call and rifle are no better than the man behind it. I have killed a few and a 1 7/8 load of lead #5's (nitro mag's) from a x-full choke is my preferred load. At the end of the day don't fall prey by jumping on board to buy a unnessary product that some ass in a corporate board is hopeing you buy as much as possible so he gets richer while you get broke,

Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 691 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.