Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
for the bowhunters who are still able to draw , shoot and hunt with a bow be happy or maybe still feel blessed you can still use a bow . but if you see a old guy with a x-bow just remember that old dude just might have been a long time bowhunter who has a health issue now . i had the privilege to shoot bows with a archer a few times who was know as the best target archer in America back in the 60`s he shot 300`s with a recurve bow with no peep and with his fingers not a release , now days Jim just x -bow hunts but he still misses and dreams of drawing his old Wing recurve bow , sharpening and using Zwickey broadheads for a few more bowhunting seasons. > SO just remember someday you may still want to bowhunt during those wonderful fall days with a drawn- bow and shoot but because of your health you have to either quit or use a x-bow. think about it ? > we all wear out sooner or later ? good luck in the future ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My days with my Elite GT500, with 90 pound limbs, are definitely over. Last year I picked up a new Elite EnKore with 60 pound limbs, what a great bow! And when presented with a Ravin R26 package for a couldn't pass up price, bought that too. I fit pete53's description, busted up old fart that still loves to be out and in it. I look at the Ravin as another tool to be used to keep me going. I've tried and tried recurves and decided it's better for the deer if I don't use one and my primary bow will be the EnKore. But I do like knowing the Ravin is there if I decide to try that too. I did get Ravin's 500gr arrows to use with the 125gr Rage as I like heavy arrows. They help quiet your set-up and have more energy. But what I like the most, is the ability to make it what you want from it and there's pretty much no wrong answer as long as it's legal and ethical.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I love bowhunting and do it quite a bit each year. After shoulder surgeries on both sides, the amount I can practice and the distances I comfortably shoot has decreased (most of my practice is at 40 as opposed to 60). I picked up a crossbow for Christmas as the writing is on the wall. I won’t shoot it further than I presently would with a vertical bow….but I don’t have to worry about drawing a bow in cold weather further damaging my shoulders. Our season is such that it’s not legal until the rut which means I’ll continue to hunt the month of October with a vertical bow-which is in many ways my favorite time (bachelor groups are patternable, temps are comfortable and our bowhunting plots are crazy productive (I’ve never not had a shot opportunity). As I’ve gotten older, harvesting an animal is far less important than enjoying the fall colors and watching animals interact. A crossbow will simply allow me to extend the years I can bow hunt without further damage/pain.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
one thing most archers have no ideal about is accuracy with a x-bow off hand , try shooting with a bow VS a x-bow. i shot many archery outdoor and indoor shoots in my home state with a compound bow and did well . but now using a x-bow exclusively this is what i have noticed i was more accurate with a compound at all distances compared to off hand shooting a x-bow. before you get negative with what i posted try a x-bow at these distances off- hand you will find the x-bow is hard to handle off hand for many of us . so don`t think its a walk in the park using a x-bow either and then add your handi-cap and its no advantage.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
During the archery season, I hunt bear with a bow but I still prefer a rifle. It has far better balance and is easier to maneuver through the bush

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Good luck I hope that you enjoy it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pete53
one thing most archers have no ideal about is accuracy with a x-bow off hand , try shooting with a bow VS a x-bow. i shot many archery outdoor and indoor shoots in my home state with a compound bow and did well . but now using a x-bow exclusively this is what i have noticed i was more accurate with a compound at all distances compared to off hand shooting a x-bow. before you get negative with what i posted try a x-bow at these distances off- hand you will find the x-bow is hard to handle off hand for many of us . so don`t think its a walk in the park using a x-bow either and then add your handi-cap and its no advantage.

Buy a well balanced bow that is not front heavy and get back to me. A quaiity reverse draw bow has almost perfect balance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
776 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 86 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.