Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't trap, but the 2 serious trappers who I know swear by High Standard Sentinels., or the Sears house brand J.C. Higgins Model 88, and cut-down Winchester 67s. Inexpensive guns that seem to be durable and common in pawn shops..

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heritage Rough Rider.

No frills. Ugly. Works.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buckmark, BL22, or a 10-22 typically.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My grandfather always used a Stevens 22-410. ( called it his turtle gun, because on the river he would always move his kayak away from the shore on the susquehanna river and most of the time a snapper would be there)Really a sweet small game rife. My dad would use a h&r 22 pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Never trapped a lot but when I did either an Ithaca 49 22 with shorts or a Ruger mark 1

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Single Six with 22WMR cylinder in it or PMR30. I don't shoot anything but skunks and porcupines. Anything else gets a bloodless dispatch, unless it appears to be poorly caught, then I'll shoot a furbearer (almost never). I like the 22WMR, as it lets me reach out a little further if I need to. Sometimes I'll shoot a coyote that I happen across while checking.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
While I won't argue with not caring about cosmetics on the trapline, the last thing I want is a cheap or unreliable gun that'll jam. I know of two Heritage Rough Riders that had the hammer cam worn off and wouldn't stay cocked. Due to the sloppy tolerances I have seen several other cheap revolvers ice up and jam that way, regardless of being degreased and dry lubed. Same with a Marlin 39 rifle when the extractor failed to work and I had a casing stuck in the chamber with a very lively wolverine in a foothold.

I am not much of a catch pole guy but have had to do it out of necessity a few times due to having cheap trap guns with me. Hopefully this stainless Single Six I got last year holds up as well as I am expecting it to.

Ive packed a stainless single six around for a bunch of years up here and its still a fave. Though these days I use a Ruger LCRX 22 cause it fits in a riser bag on the sled.Just use it for wolf mostly. Wolverines are conibear or snare.

I have a CZ 452 stainless that gets the most use on the trapilne, shooting ptarmigan.

Catch poles for lynx but agree that wolverine think they are a joke...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Remington 510, short Ruger mk II or a Ruger 22/45. Sako 222 and a Remington 870 turkey for stands.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Originally Posted by T_Inman
While I won't argue with not caring about cosmetics on the trapline, the last thing I want is a cheap or unreliable gun that'll jam. I know of two Heritage Rough Riders that had the hammer cam worn off and wouldn't stay cocked. Due to the sloppy tolerances I have seen several other cheap revolvers ice up and jam that way, regardless of being degreased and dry lubed. Same with a Marlin 39 rifle when the extractor failed to work and I had a casing stuck in the chamber with a very lively wolverine in a foothold.

I am not much of a catch pole guy but have had to do it out of necessity a few times due to having cheap trap guns with me. Hopefully this stainless Single Six I got last year holds up as well as I am expecting it to.

Ive packed a stainless single six around for a bunch of years up here and its still a fave. Though these days I use a Ruger LCRX 22 cause it fits in a riser bag on the sled.Just use it for wolf mostly. Wolverines are conibear or snare.

I have a CZ 452 stainless that gets the most use on the trapilne, shooting ptarmigan.

Catch poles for lynx but agree that wolverine think they are a joke...

That is some solid reasoning for your choices.
I trap differently than most however, and do it all on snowshoes. I have come to prefer critters be alive so that I can skin them on the spot and not have to pack the whole frozen carcass out, plus it is fresh bait to reset with. Snares and connibears have their place but I have largely gone away from them due to how I prefer to trap plus a live critter doesn't get pecked on by Gray Jay's or eaten by marten. Anything more than a week between checks and I can see snares and connibears being much more ethical, from the animal's standpoint though.

For lynx catch poles are indeed fine but I have a mental thing against watching an animal suffocate. I just prefer to put a .22 cal hole in them. It is just how I am, I guess.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use a vintage remington falling block in 22lr. Originally it was 32 rimfire. Much like carrying a stick around, if theres walking involved. Thats pretty much limited to trapped and snared coyotes that hit the wire wrong.

We foot snare bears; for that I use whatever I felt like shooting ADC beavers with that bay. Usually a big 7 or 300 of some description with Bergers.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most any .22 will work. The one I carry on the line and like the best is a .22 Tarus stainless 2". Holds 9 shots and they can be cb, short or lr.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My Dad's friend, old guy next door used to trap, took me out a few times, I LOVED it, will never forget it as long as I live. He saw my old Steven's Crackshot .22 and my Dad gave it to him. I still miss that little rifle, but am glad he took something in return, for the good memories he gave me. God Bless ya' Mr. Hoyt!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I use an old Remington 512. Accurate and dependable.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I haven’t trapped in 30 years. When I did trap 30 years ago, I carried a Ruger bearcat. Nice little revolver that I wish I still had. They come up for sale every so often on here, but I always seem to be late to the party.

K
KLM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
4" .22 revolver

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When I was a kid, I only clubbed animals so I carried an old over/under savage in 222/20gauge mag. That permitted me to shoot anything in PA I came across while checking and setting. Deer, squirrel, grouse, pheasant fox and raccoon.

I once had to shoot a fox running down a clearing with my trap and stake still attached to his foot. I popped him on the snout and kneeled on his chest like always. I pulled the set, threw the fox over my shoulder and hung on to the stake. At some point, that red fox came back to life and didn't appreciate the predicament he was in. Too be honest, I didn't either and shucked that damned thing off my back as fast as I could. By the time I got myself together, he put some distance between us and I let loose a load of number 6's at him to no effect. I then switched the little lever on the hammer to 222 and sat down and rested off my knee. He was running a real erratic pattern with the trap and stake dragging behind him but I managed to pop him at about 150yds.

After I was a bit older, I had caught a bobcat in a dirt hole set. That thing tried to kill me every time I stepped in to club him. I went home and asked my dad for his single six 22 and he told me I didn't need it and took my club and went down the creek to club it. He came back with his jeans all tore up and bloody and gave the pistol and told to go kill the damned thing. After that, the pistol was mine for trapping purposes.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought my Ruger single six 5.5 for just that reason, CB caps and 22 lrs are my go to rounds. Stainless steel helps some but you have to rember to wipe it down now and then. It has not failed be yet.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Last year or so I picked up a pair of S&W Victory handguns still in boxes. 22lr. I use the stainless. Both are incredible shooters.
For a long gun I retired the .22 and now use a .17 WSM. Good gun to have along especially when a little calling may be in order.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Used a 1903 Winchester for years but sold it after ammo got near impossible to get . Don't trap any now but if I did I'd use my S&W kit gun , pre woodsman and a Remington model 25 in 25-20. I had one of the little board stocked Remington .22 single shots that you could slide down the top of a pair of knee boots but somebody walked off with it. It was great with the old style BB or CB caps , used the RWS when I could find them.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.