Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
sanjosespotlight.com

San Jose is now the first city in the nation to mandate gun owners to have liability insurance and pay an annual fee in an effort to curb gun violence.

On Tuesday, councilmembers voted to approve the gun control rules requiring San Jose residents who own guns to pay an annual $25 fee per household and purchase gun insurance that specifically covers losses or damages resulting from “any negligent or accidental use of the firearm” in six months, according to the ordinance.

After an intense five-hour discussion filled with emotive public comment and critical probing from councilmembers, the insurance liability mandate passed 10-1, with Councilmember Dev Davis as the lone dissenting vote. The annual gun owner fee passed with eight votes, with Councilmembers Matt Mahan and Pam Foley and Davis in opposition.

With roughly 50,000-55,000 San Jose households with guns, the annual fee is expected to bring in about $1.3 million per year.

San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo, who introduced this legislation in 2019 after the mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, said the goal is to mitigate harm inflicted by gun violence and shift the financial burden of gun education and victim services to gun owners instead of all taxpayers. Things stalled when COVID hit in March 2020, but Liccardo brought the idea back in May 2021 following the mass shooting at the VTA light rail yard.

“When we think about the horrible mass shootings, I don’t pretend to know that we could have stopped it or not. But if in fact, we could have delivered some mental health services, there may have been a chance,” Liccardo said. “That’s the point of this (legislation).”

The laws are the latest in San Jose’s local gun control measures, including requiring gun shops in June 2021 to record all firearm purchases. Buying a firearm from or inside a residence is also prohibited.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They voted for the devil, they deserve all the evil that befalls them.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the last part. Isn't this already a law?

The laws are the latest in San Jose’s local gun control measures, including requiring gun shops in June 2021 to record all firearm purchases.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So where does the money go? Do they pay any to the people that are shot in a mass shooting? What if it is a legal gun owner and he shoots someone trying to kill or do great harm to him, will they pay the legal gun owner or the law breaker?
They estimate 50,000-to 55,000 legal gun owners which I am guessing will pay the money, but what about the illegal gun owners that most likely will not pay and most likely will use their guns for illegal activities? Will they have extra charges for not having the $25 extortion money permit?
How about quit adding crap laws and taxes and start enforcing the laws already on the books.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
So brave

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It really is cute how so many think this poison (virus de jure) will just go away... and not infect them...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gee...I'm afraid that would be a big F U C K YOU from me to them....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Democrats need to purchase 1st Amendment insurance before opening their mouths to help pay for all the damage they cause!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Democrats need to purchase 1st Amendment insurance before opening their mouths to help pay for all the damage they cause!!

Fantastic idea!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My youngest daughter grew up there. She was a hard core liberal. But she is changing as she finds out about the real world in which we live. In one our recent conversations, she told me none of her friends that still live there, go out at night in the downtown area.
Well, I'm not surprised. The San Jose Police Dept. is, last I heard, is 37% under maned. The last effort they made to add cops, some 48 of them from their POST academy , resulted in only 4 of them still working for the PD after one year. They even tried to get new hires to sign a contract to ensure they worked for at least two years. That didn't work. You can't force someone to work for you.
So, now we have this. Sooner or later they courts will overturn it. E

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm SURE the crooks will fully comply... What buncha MORONS...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm also sure that every felon arrested with a firearm iin San Jose s fully prosecuted for that crime, convicted and put in prison.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The laws are the latest in San Jose’s local gun control measures, including requiring gun shops in June 2021 to record all firearm purchases.

Omaha Nebraska has been requiring gun dealers to report all sales and related info to OPD daily since 1969 and Lincoln has been requiring the same but limited to handguns since 73. Shocked I say.

Swifty
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wouldn't pay them a dime, simple as that. What other bill of rights requires you pay a fee to exercise?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I wonder if the Thugs will buy insurance?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.