Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
About the cleanest I've ever seen...I just need to re-scope it with a nice old straight tube Weaver...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very clean indeed.

Do you collect them or hunt with them?

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
HUNT. I got out of the collectible business a while back. I do buy collectibles from time to time (just sold a NIB Python), but if I don't shoot them I sell.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice
Be nice to have one, I'm just not willing to
spend what the gunjoker people want for one

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
About the cleanest I've ever seen...I just need to re-scope it with a nice old straight tube Weaver...

That’s a beautiful rifle. Gun show find? Congrats!

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lightning

That’s a beautiful rifle. Gun show find? Congrats!

Guns International

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice Jorge. I found one a while back and didn't know much about them. It looked just like your new rifle. The little local shop had it priced at $600. I went home to ask this forum about it and everyone said I should buy it, but when I went back, it was gone!!! I later found out that $600 was a steal for that rifle and they were extremely rare. The stupid thing is I already have a 94 big bore 375 and handload for it. I should have just bought it when I had a chance..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, yessir that was a steal. I paid twice that for this one...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, yessir that was a steal. I paid twice that for this one...

Yeah, I bet you did. That is a rare bird and a beauty. I can admit when I screwed up!! ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice Jorge. I found one a while back and didn't know much about them. It looked just like your new rifle. The little local shop had it priced at $600. I went home to ask this forum about it and everyone said I should buy it, but when I went back, it was gone!!! I later found out that $600 was a steal for that rifle and they were extremely rare. The stupid thing is I already have a 94 big bore 375 and handload for it. I should have just bought it when I had a chance..

I owned a Winnie Big Bore and a Marlin 375 at the same time. The Marlin would cycle longer loads, plus the scope mounting was a little nicer, maybe. But they have both gone down the road.

But you can just get JES to work magic on a regular old 30-30 Marlin if you really want one.

SPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 375 is my second favorite Marlin. Paid $350 for it and 2 1/2 boxes of ammo, about 12 years ago. Man I wish I reloaded, as I I almost hate pulling the trigger anymore. It's a sweet deer rifle in my neck of the woods though! Enjoy it!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Very nice rifle. It is definitely on my want list, but it calls for a peep sight.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice snag. I love mine as I've stated before. I do own sever of both Makes,
Winchester and Marlin. I couldn't pick one over the other, as I've taken a lot of game, with my Marlin,
as it was a gift from my Wife yrs. ago, and I had it Personally Engraved, and I'll Die with it!

Congrats and Good Luck!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SPK
My 375 is my second favorite Marlin. Paid $350 for it and 2 1/2 boxes of ammo, about 12 years ago. Man I wish I reloaded, as I I almost hate pulling the trigger anymore. It's a sweet deer rifle in my neck of the woods though! Enjoy it!

https://shop.reedsammo.com/375-Winchester_c63.htm Give these guys a try. I buy ammo from them when I need loaded obscure cartridges. As for the 375 Winchester, I load my own. I have three Marlin 375s, a Winchester 94 BigBore in 375 and a Ruiger No. 3 in 375. So reloading makes sense. Like other straight wall cartridges, the 375 Win. is very easy to reload.

T.S.

Last edited by TexasShooter; 03/12/22.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW gents, some pretty decent results using the recommended 230gr CEB Raptors @ 2020 fps. That should handle just about anything..

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
That's a beauty.

I still kick myself to this day for passing on one at a gun show several years back. It's still the only one I've ever seen firsthand.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That is a very clean nice looking Marlin for sure. Congrats on your find

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is a nice looking rifle. I have a marlin and a winnie, have a weaver 1-3 on the marlin and a peep sight on the winchester.
Have not used either in awhile. I have only used the sierra 200 grain and the hornady 220. The 200 worked perfectly on the only deer I shot with it, Good luck with your's.
Karl

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bought one of these new back in 1980, wish I still had it.
Was a hammer on deer and pretty accurate to boot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Got an stainless JM Marlin 30-30 and an old Westernfield 1960's 30-30 by Marlin that needs rebored to 375win. Even got an old Winchester bullet mould for the 38-55 I can cast and size. Got tons of 30-30 cases to resize too.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Got an stainless JM Marlin 30-30 and an old Westernfield 1960's 30-30 by Marlin that needs rebored to 375win. Even got an old Winchester bullet mould for the 38-55 I can cast and size. Got tons of 30-30 cases to resize too.

I've owned 2 375s and 2 356 ERs but this is my favorite Marlin ever. 30TK re-bored by Jess to .375 win.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn nice rifle!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Bought one new also in the 80's and took a 350 lb black bear up in Canada. Got 8 boxes of win silvers with it also. Still have 7 left plus still have the 375 win. Less than 20 rounds through it. This year will be using it on dear with reloads.. anyone got any recommendations on powder & bullets.

Last edited by Billewe; 06/30/22. Reason: Change word.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Billewe
Bought one new also in the 80's and took a 350 lb black bear up in Canada. Got 8 boxes of win silvers with it also. Still have 7 left plus still have the 375 win. Less than 20 rounds through it. This year will be using it on dear with reloads.. anyone got any recommendations on powder & bullets.

What did she do to you? That is a little extreme..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have one and love it but don't use it. I sighted it in with a Williams Fool Proof. Still have the box for it. I was thinking on doing a little deer tracking with it since we have snow. I need to use it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That has been very well cared for, nice one. When I got mine it came with a rub finish, looks good so left it alone.
I have a steel weaver marksman but the front has a slight bell, very good to excellent condition. I bought it off here a few years ago and mounted on a 5mm but I'm going to change it. It is 3-9 fine cross hair. If interested $150 shipped.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had one or another version of 375 Winchesters for 30+ years. Winchesters, Marlins, Savages. Killed my largest black bear with one. Done good on deer too.

But last year I drilled a black bear in the front shoulder with a 200 grain Sierra at 50 yards. Wife went with me and we called him out of his bed up to us. When he came in from the right I stopped him with a squeak and drilled him in the front shoulder. He took off like a scalded cat and gave me one more shot as he went out of sight. My wife looked at me and said, How could you miss that? LOL I said I didn't!

He left a blood trail down through and alder thicket and swamp for several hundred yards, and laid down twice. Tracking him in chest high salal brush and alder so thick we had to force our way through was hair raising, to say the least. He could have had us at any time. After several hours of tense tracking down the creek bottom alders, the blood quit. When it got so thick we couldn't see more than a 3 feet I called it. We went back the next day and no luck.

Fast forward to this fall. I had a friend that wanted to get a bear. He'd had a run of bad luck for a couple years and needed to punch a tag. I took him up in there and we got him a bear about a mile from where I'd called in the swamp bear. I told Liam man that looks alot like the swamp bear! When his wife was dressing it out she found a perfect big bullet hole in the left shoulder blade. The bullet was lodged just behind it and never made it deep enough to reach the vitals. She still has the shoulder blade but sadly the bullet got thrown out.

Tough ol' bear. had a bullet lodged in his shoulder for a year and still had an infected puss pocket around it and yet he was out doing what bears do.

I don't fault the cartridge too much, it works if the shot is rib cage or spine. But, as anyone that hunts knows, the shot isn't always ideal. My takeaway is work harder on exact shot placement with the 375 on bears, or go to the 358 and use Barnes 180 ttsx. The 358 runs several hundred feet per second faster and of course the Barnes holds together well.

I think the 375 is an ideal deer cartridge with the 200 grain bullet. I don't know if a 250 grain bullet would have improved last years results or not, I've not tried them. Here's Liams swamp bear. He killed it with a 7mm magnum.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The shoulder must be tough to stop the stopping power of the 375 at 50yds. Glad he made it a year rather than rotten somewhere.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story, Fireball. I do use the Sierra for deer, but I've since switched to the 230gr Cutting Edge bullet, it's an absolute penetrating hammer even on the biggest boar hogs that probably have a tougher hide (and gristle plate) than Blacks.

cheers,

J

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Do most of the 375 Marlins have the crossbolt safety?

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ruger66

None of them do they were only made for a short time in the 80s prior to the cross-bolt safety feature.

PennDog

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by ruger66

None of them do they were only made for a short time in the 80s prior to the cross-bolt safety feature.

PennDog

Hammer half click back was Safety.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That's interesting! I tested all the 375 bullets I could get my hands on and the 200 Sierra is very short, expands exceptionally well but at close range core separates every time and stops in 8" of newsprint. Very limited sectional density in caliber 375. 220 Hornady's and are much better, and seldom core separate. For close in bear baits I think I might go with the 235 Speer which I chuck in my lathe and flat point to 229 grains, (You could also do this with a file) and crimp with a lee factory crimp die. Loaded to 2100+fps they will expand out to 100 yards (but not much more) and penetrate like crazy. They are also very accurate.

Like you said though that 200 Sierra tucked behind a deer shoulder would make very fast kills.

Last edited by North61; 05/20/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I picked a Marlin 375 in my LGS about 10 years ago,$600.00 ,unfired,no box but a Marlin leather sling on it.One of my favorites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
804 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 81 invisible), 3,172 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.