Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
I have too many beaver and I’d like to trap them using snares. Where is the beat place to purchase them. We’ve used coni bears in the past but now the runs are so deep we can’t set them.
Thanks

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been using snares for years I sort of like them better than a conibear easy fast to set up can carry many compared to a conibear....about the only problem is about the only part you can save after catching one is the lock cable is no good.....
Been making my own buy cable on a spool and locks and swivels by the 100's....been making them for decades....locks and swivels can be used many times cable only once very rarely twice.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing nice about a snare for beaver, if you have a miss you don't spook them. I also made mine.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Minnesota Trapline Products. You didnt say what state you are in. That may make a big differnce on what snares are legal to use. Check your regs for sure! Some states are anal about snaring.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Been using snares for years I sort of like them better than a conibear easy fast to set up can carry many compared to a conibear....about the only problem is about the only part you can save after catching one is the lock cable is no good.....
Been making my own buy cable on a spool and locks and swivels by the 100's....been making them for decades....locks and swivels can be used many times cable only once very rarely twice.....

That’s what I’m finding out. Most people make their own and the wire is unusable after a beaver has been caught.

Thanks for the reply.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EJKELLEY
Minnesota Trapline Products. You didnt say what state you are in. That may make a big differnce on what snares are legal to use. Check your regs for sure! Some states are anal about snaring.

Thanks I’ll give them a call.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There are 2 types of snare cable. It has to do with type, and tightness of twist in the cable. 7x7 is the most common. It is softer, and gives you a teardrop shaped loop. The other is 1x19. It gives a rounder loop, and your lock will slide easier and faster with it. Both types will work fine. I like the 1x19 cable better for the reasons already mentioned, and have snared hundreds of coyotes with it. I have snared alot of coyotes with 7x7 too, but I don't like the tear dropped shaped loops. I snare some beaver every year for the neighbors and the 1 x19 works good on them too. As already mentioned, make your own. I have used most locks out there, and the best one that I have found is the cam locks with teeth. They are deadly. I also use 5/64 diameter cable. That is about "middle" in terms of diameter. For beaver if you use smaller, you will lose some to twist outs. If you use too big of cable, they will see it and avoid it, although not nearly as much as a coyote. Good luck.

Last edited by atse; 02/01/22.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, how many beaver have you caught at on time in one set??? My record was five at a time, same day different set had three. Sleigh was full that day. Now how that happened is we were almost done for the season. We went to a pond that was not trapped for about two seasons, it was a deep pond, eight snares per side. There food was probably pretty stale. Had two wittiness with me, brother in law, best friend. Took the three out in a deep river, same deal, not trapped for a year or so, stale feed bed. They thought that was something, then on the five beaver one I thought they were contemplating to start trapping. Luck, he'll ya, skill, some. Never got more than two ever again. Great memories on the trap line, registered line Ontario Canada. Anyone got some cool stories, some times things happen in the bush and we don't want to tell anyone because we're afraid no one will believe us. Spend enough time in the bush???? you see stuff. GWP. 👣🐾👣🐾🇨🇦

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For beaver snares, I like 36" 7x7 or 3/32 cable with a BMI free slide lock and a swivel. I prefer the BMI locks because they are agressive and won't freeze up like a camlock will if it's above water. I like the 7x7 for beaver and fox, and 1x19 for coyote.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How deep are the runs? I use extra tall H frame stands with 330 Belisles for everything now, even shallow work. Although I haven't done it an extension could be welded on.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,296 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.