Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congratulations, I’m jealous.

I am 8 months away from a legitimate retirement.
I may have to pull the plug before that to deal with family medical issues.

The last time I got fired (12 years ago) I laughed in their faces and told them I would have a job offer within a half hour, and it would take them years to replace me.
Both of those predictions proved true.

MOLON LABE
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You should thank them. Retirement is what you make of it! Your day, your time, your choice!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LinkedIn has a setting that says you are looking for work.
Set that and wait for a work-from-home gig. You'll be getting emails almost immediately.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I retired in September. I figured I’d want to go back to work by now. NOPE! I’d never not gone to work and didn’t know what to expect. Didn’t take me long to grow accustomed to not going.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I didnt get another bolt after retirement, I got a 16 GA Citori Hunter. I haven’t been able to use it yet, as I’ve been too busy doing other things.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Retirement is great, have had offers for work. Ah let think NOOOOOOOOO

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Shaman, I too am jealous.

My date is Mar 1, 2023, after more than 40 years with this employer, and the same job classification since 1985.

I could walk out the door today, and use a few weeks of sick leave and then take vacation for 11 months. But I would rather take the vacation hours as a severance check.

Momma needs a much newer car to cover the next twenty years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
I was shown the pasture today. Thankfully it wasn't the glue truck.

At 1000, I was invited to a meeting in the boardroom. Much to my surprise, there was my boss, having driven down from Mansfield in a snowstorm. The head of HR was there, and we had my Boss' boss and the VP of HR on video conference.

They gave me a letter and my last paycheck and started to launch into a heartfelt and complicated dissertation

"OK," I said. "Let's get to the nub. No problem. I'll go turkey hunting."

I've been there 5 years. I was retired already when I took the gig, and just didn't like staying at home and writing novels. It was a nice gig, but I have always had a propensity for working myself out of a job. I finished up my big projects before Christmas. They were shutting down the plant starting last June. I thoroughly accepted getting aced. I'd been waiting for it since August. I was just happy I got past the 1st of the year; they have to pay me for 3 weeks of vacation on top of the severance package.

My boss was new to all this. She stuck with me while I cleaned out my desk and let me go around on the floor and wish folks goodbye. I haven't had so many women cry over me leaving, but that's how it goes. I made it home by Noon.

What now? If anyone needs a bit jockey, I'll talk to them. I've got 40 years in the profession. However, I've got 200 acres of prime deer and turkey land that I'm aching to get back to. I also have a new Brown Bess musket that needs to be broken in. I think this may be my last round-up. Tell the girls at the whore house I'll miss 'em. Somebody drop by the saloon and tip the bartender for me.

shaman, do they even know what a favor they did you?

Now go enjoy that property of yours.

PS- I've been unemployable for a while now..😊🤣😆

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now for the dark side: Some of y'all have already guessed it.

1) I'm unvaxxed, and wholly unrepentant and I reported officially to management that status less than a month ago.
2) I had my malignant left nut removed in August.
3) I was less than 6 months away from being fully vested in retirement.

You can form your own conclusions as you wish.

As to the rest of it, I did the grand and honorable thing 9 months ago to stomp my feet and write emails about my situation. My local server farm was woefully out of date. The hardware was purchased used in 2015. The VMWare hosts were going down just looking sideways at them and the UPS that held up the server room was beeping at me, telling me the battery was shot. I wanted a refresh, and they said no. I then lobbied for help in getting everything moved off to the cloud so I could be done with primary responsibility. I got that, and spent the next six months migrating everything to the corporate cloud.

I got the last server turned off 31 December, and unplugged the UPS on the way out the door. My main duties of keeping the site afloat was officially over. When I walked into this in 2016, I was shepherding a site with 20 servers, 300 users on 3 shifts, and running its own ERP system. I left with 3 dozen users, and everything in the cloud. I couldn't even find a purchaser to buy me network patch cables. The last one retired in August.

Thanks all for the good wishes. I just spent the last 30 minutes watching Youtubes on how to accurize a Brown Bess. I think I have enough DBC left for one more (BIG) bore.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shaman
I was shown the pasture today. Thankfully it wasn't the glue truck.

At 1000, I was invited to a meeting in the boardroom. Much to my surprise, there was my boss, having driven down from Mansfield in a snowstorm. The head of HR was there, and we had my Boss' boss and the VP of HR on video conference.

They gave me a letter and my last paycheck and started to launch into a heartfelt and complicated dissertation

"OK," I said. "Let's get to the nub. No problem. I'll go turkey hunting."

I've been there 5 years. I was retired already when I took the gig, and just didn't like staying at home and writing novels. It was a nice gig, but I have always had a propensity for working myself out of a job. I finished up my big projects before Christmas. They were shutting down the plant starting last June. I thoroughly accepted getting aced. I'd been waiting for it since August. I was just happy I got past the 1st of the year; they have to pay me for 3 weeks of vacation on top of the severance package.

My boss was new to all this. She stuck with me while I cleaned out my desk and let me go around on the floor and wish folks goodbye. I haven't had so many women cry over me leaving, but that's how it goes. I made it home by Noon.

What now? If anyone needs a bit jockey, I'll talk to them. I've got 40 years in the profession. However, I've got 200 acres of prime deer and turkey land that I'm aching to get back to. I also have a new Brown Bess musket that needs to be broken in. I think this may be my last round-up. Tell the girls at the whore house I'll miss 'em. Somebody drop by the saloon and tip the bartender for me.

Shaman I visited your web stie recently. Looks to me like you're having too much fun to be working full time anyway. God bless and enjoy.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on the early retirement, now go enjoy life!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Ah well, there’s always work out there for those willing to do it. I had that happen to me on Wednesday, April 10, 2019. I wasn’t too surprised as the big boss was a suck ass cuck who brought in his buddy to be over the rest of us. I was among the last of the team to go. Most everyone else had quit or been fired in the months leading up to me getting the axe. They paid me through the rest of the calendar year along with six weeks accumulated vacation + medical. It was glorious. I had a job interview on that Friday and three job offers before the end of the month. Paid off 1/3 of the remaining balance of the house with the double income. Unca Sugga sure appreciated it too when tax time rolled around. Ended up making 50% more at the new job than I was previously with a much more generous retirement plan to boot. Success is the best form of revenge.

Last summer the VP took me to lunch and told me the big boss had been fired and my supervisor demoted. He begged me to come back. I politely declined but that was the best damn lunch I have had in quite some time. I’ve 7 years to go before I hit 59.5; but will probably hang it up then. I’ve enough money saved to be comfortable and am getting to a point where I just don’t care anymore.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 01/28/22.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I don't know why they fired me, I wasn't doing nothin.

Last edited by deer1; 01/28/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Losing a job is better than losing your nuts…
Wait, what?!

Congrats on retiring though. The current atmosphere in this country has made every aspect of trying to make a living miserable.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/28/22.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I pre-bought our place in NM 18 years ago and waited for the suits to offer the next general downsizing buyout. Only had to wait a little over one year. Took it and retired at 56. Never a regret.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Ah well, there’s always work out there for those willing to do it. I had that happen to me on Wednesday, April 10, 2019. I wasn’t too surprised as the big boss was a suck ass cuck who brought in his buddy to be over the rest of us. I was among the last of the team to go. Most everyone else had quit or been fired in the months leading up to me getting the axe. They paid me through the rest of the calendar year along with six weeks accumulated vacation + medical. It was glorious. I had a job interview on that Friday and three job offers before the end of the month. Paid off 1/3 of the remaining balance of the house with the double income. Unca Sugga sure appreciated it too when tax time rolled around. Ended up making 50% more at the new job than I was previously with a much more generous retirement plan to boot. Success is the best form of revenge.

Last summer the VP took me to lunch and told me the big boss had been fired and my supervisor demoted. He begged me to come back. I politely declined but that was the best damn lunch I have had in quite some time. I’ve 7 years to go before I hit 59.5; but will probably hang it up then. I’ve enough money saved to be comfortable and am getting to a point where I just don’t care anymore.

I'm at 8 years from being done.

Granted, I'll probably hit at shows and sell welding art, but only on my time.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, Shaman.

Enjoy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I retired last June and now every day is Saturday. When someone asks, “what do you do now?”, the answer is, “whatever I want”.

Me too, but it was May.

Congrats Shaman, have a great spring turkey hunt!

GOA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin

Know exactly how you feel. American corporations for the most part suck.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I retired 8 years ago at 51...

They paid me a chit ton of money to never come back... and I agreed.

I didn't get a party... and absolutely no one cried.

--------------------------------------------------

Congratulations on your retirement...

Enjoy the hell you raise on your own.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

477 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 1,952 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,378
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.