Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use SnowSeal boot waterproofing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I use SnowSeal boot waterproofing.

Finally! A use for that garbage!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really... there is no legit use for it!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Al, for us dummies, which ones would that be?

That blue poly vinyl stuff from Brownell's is one example of what not to use due to its thickness.

You want something dry...no oils, greases, etc that can contaminate the bedding compound. Paste wax and mold release wax work best.

Good shootin' -Al

I used to always keep some of the blue stuff around to dip my action screws in. Works great for that and it's easy. Other than that, it's been Johnson's paste wax, a can will last most people a lifetime of bedding jobs, and Hornady one shot case lube for those hard to reach areas.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craigster

And Sheister says it's not rocket science.

In 1986 I was loaned to Rocket Research [now aerojet], for the Midget Man missile steering rockets.
I came up with a bone head simple circuit to drive the valve.
The RR chief staff engineer said I had the first new idea in 20 years.

This left me with the impression that rocket science is nothing hard.

Then 30 years later I started watching YouTube videos on missile design, from the V2 through Space X.
Now I think rocket science is hard.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
while I willnot recommend it I have seen a guy use a sheet of saranwrap sprayed with wd 40 used between the glass and action

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have taught a lot of new guys to bed. Every time one has had a problem, it was with Wax. There is a learning curve to using wax, and few ever speak of educating the new guys, kinda like giving them the first step out of the 15 that is required.

New guys working with hunting rifles work better with the spray on Accra release from Brownell's. I have never had a new guy have a problem with the Accra release in 30 years. These new guys are not shooting competition rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to use waxes for release agents. They worked well for me. Then a member in 24 mentioned shoe polish. I had quite a bit of that and am using it now. That works great too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
I have taught a lot of new guys to bed. Every time one has had a problem, it was with Wax. There is a learning curve to using wax, and few ever speak of educating the new guys, kinda like giving them the first step out of the 15.....

Keith, when walking someone through the process, I instruct them to warm up the receiver before putting the mold release wax on. It's buffed off and then a second coat goes on and is buffed off. Most people that get in trouble with waxes either don't do the two coats, get a mechanical lock due to not thinking through the epoxy flow or simply use too much bedding compound. Some QTips are great for getting wax into tight areas. Play Doh instead of modeling clay is another useful tip.

For screw threads, wax on the finger tips or a light oil works as long as it doesn't squeeze out around the threads when tightened.

Most of this is just basic common sense with a good dose of experience thrown in. Some of the stuff posted when this comes up shows that a clear understanding of what's trying to be achieved is not in place. 😉

Some of the best tutorials on bedding can be found in The Benchrest Shooting Primer. Most of these involve bolt ins and are directly applicable to hunting and live varmint rigs. Norman Johnson's articles on bedding that ran in the Varmint Hunter Magazine are also top notch.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks Al, that was great advise. I found that with the new guys on bedding, there is no such thing as common sense, everything is brand new. Many of these guys, I was trying to help over the phone, also.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
I found that with the new guys on bedding, there is no such thing as common sense, everything is brand new. Many of these guys, I was trying to help over the phone, also.

Agreed, Keith.

As you know from your experience doing many successful bedding projects over the years, much of the stuff that really matters is subtle, hard to describe, is often a 'feel' type of thing and doesn't always lend itself well to pictures. If the basics are correct, it's truly the details that make the difference.

A good example of this is the dial indicator test I use on a completed bedding job. I helped a shooter a couple weeks ago 'long distance' work through this with a gun he had just had built by a big name shop that also did the bedding job. It was tossing shots and generally not responding to load or bullet changes...just sort of stuck in the 5/8's range for three shot groups. I walked him through the dial indicator test and he reported that there was absolutely z-e-r-o wiggle on the indicator. Since there's always going to be a couple thou. of wiggle on a stress free job, I suspected the action was bound up in the stock. This proved to be correct and he needed a rubber hammer to get the action out of the stock.

After exchanging texts and pics over a couple day period, the problem area in the recoil lug mortise was identified and I walked him through correcting it.

The gun now shoots solid and repeatable 3/8's three shot groups...which I consider pretty outstanding for a 7 lb. 'all up' 308W hunting rig with a lower power variable shot from the bench with a bipod and a rear bag and hunting grade bullets.

He was a good student, wanted to learn and is confident enough to do his own bedding work from this point forward. That's what I find rewarding about the sharing of information. smile

Good shootin', Keith! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
while I willnot recommend it I have seen a guy use a sheet of saranwrap sprayed with wd 40 used between the glass and action
That guy should stick with cooking tapioca pudding.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks Al! I am sure that many appreciate your input, I sure do!

Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an old beater I was messing with and tried wax paper and it worked, haven't tried it again though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Benchresters do not use release agent.

And they don't wear underwear.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.