1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I kinda like the heavier bullets on the 223, I have fewer runners with them and sometimes you can’t even tell where they’ve been hit. Killed this one with the Hornady 75 grain HPBT match ammo. Shot was about 150 yards and never took a step.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by TWR
I kinda like the heavier bullets on the 223, I have fewer runners with them and sometimes you can’t even tell where they’ve been hit. Killed this one with the Hornady 75 grain HPBT match ammo. Shot was about 150 yards and never took a step.

Is that a 9T Kimber TWR?

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by Sheister
There aren't too many bullets out of a 223 that won't kill coyotes long past 300 yards. I've pretty much only been loading 40 grain Ballistic Tips for years and they knock a coyote in the dirt right quick. Starting to test the 50/55 grain Bt's and a bunch of the 53 Vmax, and they seem to about as accurate as the 40's, but I'm not sure how they could be any more deadly.....

Find out what your rifle shoots best and go kill stuff...

I use that combo atop a case full of AA2200. Those 40 gr Noslers killed every Coyote I ever hit with them. That was with a 22” 12 twist barrel. One of my most memorable shots with that gun/load was with one of my buddies and his dad. We were out varmint hunting and a crow landed atop an old telephone pole about 500 yards away as we were driving a two track trail. I jumped out and used the truck door as a rest, gave it some Kentucky windage, and blew that crow off the pole shooting left-handed; I’m a righty. Even my buddies dad was impressed. He was a Korean war vet - sniper.

Reminds me of a story- We were elk hunting and four of us were scattered along a long ridge watching a canyon where elk had been moving just about every day. About an hour after light a crow must have spotted us and he landed in the top of a huge cottonwood tree down the canyon from us on another ridge and started squawking away. That darned crow wouldn't stop cawing the whole time we were there, so after about an hour we decided it was time to find another area to hunt. Walked down to the truck and that crow was still making a racket about 300 yards away in the top of that tree so I rested on a stump and shot that crow with my 338 WM with 225 Hornadies on board... I think I had enough bullet because before the crow fell out of the tree you could see a baseball sized hole through him to daylight and feathers flying every direction.... everyone in our group got a kick out of that one.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

About all I shoot anymore in my bolt action 223 is the 50 gr. Ballistic Tip. The longest shot I’ve taken with it on a coyote was 345 yds. He dropped in his tracks.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Anyone know what the twist rate is on a Kimber Montana in .223? I just bought one, but it hasn't arrived yet to find out. Thanks

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
1-9”

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
FWIW, 53 V-maxes are VILE out of my 16” AR. With a pretty good BC for their weight. Stacks holes and makes a goodly hole in the opposite side of a coyote. Would love to play with them in a good bolt gun.
26.3 TAC, 400’s, R-P cases.
My gun, work up, etc……

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The Hornady and Winchester 55gr BT stuff has done well for me on chucks. As did the old Black Hills 55hr soft point ( looked like maybe Hornady bullets ).

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by LBP
Why not give the 55 gr Hornady SP a try? It’s cheap, accurate, deadly (even on deer), and most importantly now days it’s available.

Agreed, one of the best all around bullets if you aren't shooting a lot of distance. I always keep a bunch around
Years ago I bought an ammo can full of the 55 gr sp
I use them in 223 and 22-250
I have tried many different bullets on coyote and those 55s anchor them never had a runner
Most were shot wit 223

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Japlvr
I am new to coyote hunting & have a factory .243 Win chambered Rem 700 (1 in 9.125" twist) that I am currently using. Considering going to a .223 Rem chambered Howa Mini (1 in 8" twist) shooting 77 gr Sierra MK hollow points. Is that a decent bullet to anchor them @ 300 yards if they hit in the boiler room ?

I wouldn't bet on a 77 grain MK expanding so you're truly asking whether a .22 cal FMJ will "anchor." I'd say not reliably. It will kill .. eventually .. but without breaking major bones, you probably won't find them where you shot them, they'll run a ways before leaking enough to run out of oxygen to the brain. I would say the inexpensive option is the Hornady 55 or 60 grain soft point. Otherwise 60 grain VMAX or Ballistic tip.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What T O M said above . . .

The 69 and 77 grain SMKs will get there, but only poke a .22 hole.

My experience with the 69s out of a 220 Swift was that more than half the groundhogs hit needed a 2nd shot. I wouldn’t think coyotes would be any different.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Why not use the 64 grain sierra tgk gamechanger?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
I didn't know they made such a thing so I looked it up...it should indeed be a viable choice! The Game King has a great reputation.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Having killed a truckload of critters including red fox, coyotes, and groundhogs with the 77tmk out of my ar and tikka varmint(both 1-8 twist) they expand very well. Nothing like a fmj.

Think i need a bigger gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing for certain, there aren’t enough coyotes left in the world or shooters left with all of the high-tech bullets and fast twist barrels that could ever shoot and kill as many coyotes with those bullets and barrels as there are coyotes that have already been killed without them…

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Truth^^^^^^^^but always guys looking to reinvent the wheel..

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing to think about is with light bullets you can just about hold on fur to 300 yards and kill coyotes. 40gr, 50gr NBT's are great coyote hunting bullets and one of my favorites is the 52gr Speer FB varmint bullet and I use it successfully in the 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 5.6x50R Mag and 22-250 along with the 40gr NBT in my 22-204. I'm a pelt hunter so I don't want to be chasing coyotes all over the place, I want them dead and still sellable, these three have been my goto's for a long time. I have found the lighter V-max bullets to be a little fragile for my tastes and have had too many large exits from 55gr SP's even the highly touted Sierra 1365.

Even Sierra doesn't recommend Match bullets for hunting.

From Sierra website.

"While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts."

Last edited by erich; 06/02/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah

Out of an 18" .223 they're almost built too stout for these skinny desert coyotes. I've killed probably a dozen coyotes with them with body shots and they all ran off 35-50 yards before tipping over.

Small entrance wound and roughly dime size exit.

Hit a shoulder or the spine and they quit right there.

I'm using those and Federal Fusion 64gr SP mostly for pigs but most times don't have time to swap mags and switch over to 50-52gr HP which are my normal coyote calling bullets.

I'll say one thing about the Sierra's, they're damned accurate in my AR's and Ruger American Ranch Rifle.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.